Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,573,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
How about black people in Canada? As I've said before black people have had a VERY different history here compared to black Americans where there was no slavery, relatively little oppression and the same opportunities to succeed the same as everyone else especially in the past several decades. But guess what? The result IS THE SAME. Namely high rates of violence, crime and murder. Two different countries, two very different histories with black people, SAME OUTCOME NONETHELESS.

So what's the excuse for black Canadians and black immigrants here behaving in the same manner as black Americans?? US government secretly giving advice to the Canadian government on how to destroy black people here too??!

If we started bringing in all of the poor Russians, Irish, and Polish to this country, we'd see the same results. Actually we've seen it before, or do you NOT have any recollection who was commiting the murders and crimes from 1900s-1950s. Mostly poor white immigrants.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,214,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My view is this. A person should care for the right reasons. And there are people who do care, because it is carnage. What I have also noticed is that some people only bring up Black on Black crime to justify treating Blacks badly.

I'm not saying you don't care for the right reasons. I'm am saying that in order to discuss the issue, it is important to keep histrionics out of it. It is important to keep grudges out of it.

Black on black crime DOES need to be discussed. It should not be used as an excuse to target blacks but many blacks are quick to bring up white on white crime. It's true most whites are killed by other whites and their murders are much more brutal but, I have to wonder why a black person would even want to IMITATE such behavior?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:15 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,320,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Again, take it up with the US Government. The US government created all of the incentives in the world for poor black women to have children out of wedlock. The lack of black fathers has never been an issue until the US Government started "getting involved" with the black community. You can blame the government for black culture...

Nope, sorry. I have and always will blame the people that act irresponsibly for their irresponsible actions - black, white, brown, yellow, Puerto Rican or Haitian.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think the big problem with policing in most areas that are low income, high crime, and Black is that the police are viewed as an outside force that is basically forcing White suburban values on working class Blacks. How well would policing go in rural White working class areas if the cops were always pulling over guys in old pickup trucks because it wasn't up to current EPA compliance? I think one thing that benefits poor people in rural areas is the lack of police presence and the mentality that the community must police itself. I spent much of my childhood in a place where the nearest police station was 45 minutes away but crime was low because every household had a gun and people looked out for their neighbors.
Then the question arises, who is responsible to combat black on black crime?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,573,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Then the question arises, who is responsible to combat black on black crime?
Maybe it's up to the people committing the black on black crime?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Black on black crime DOES need to be discussed. It should not be used as an excuse to target blacks but many blacks are quick to bring up white on white crime. It's true most whites are killed by other whites and their murders are much more brutal but, I have to wonder why a black person would even want to IMITATE such behavior?
The number one thing that worries me about discussing Black on Black crime is WHY it gets discussed. It needs to be discussed, but for the right reasons. I agree that it should not be used as an excuse to target Blacks. Sadly, this is why it gets discussed. It is used as an excuse to complain about Blacks. Otherwise, it would rarely get discussed.

I'll bring this up. I think some Blacks will bring up white on white crime because of the feeling that Blacks feel that they're being attacked.

And it brings me to this. Lack of trust is a major factor is why many people don't want to discuss Black on Black crime. It gets discussed, but at the dinner table, in the car, basically, in private company.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
I personally do not believe "black on black crime" exist. Crime is crime IMO and in all countries crimes is predominantly intra-racial and especially so in America which still has a high degree of segregation (the segregation is by choice for all groups IMO BTW).

Of course black people predominantly commit crimes against other black people. So do Asians and Hispanics and white people and the indigenous population of this country. This is because Asians live around more Asians. Hispanics live around hispanics. Whites live around whites. Indigenous live around indigenous.

IMO the creation of the idea of "black on black crime" was done in order to further the idea that black people are scary and dangerous to perpetuate stereotypes of us as inferior, barbarian types of people and nothing more, so I don't take any talk about black people "fixing black on black crime" seriously.

I agree with the OP in that black people in LA cannot fix crime in Chicago. I will also point out that even crime in Chicago compared to 20 years ago is WAY down amongst its black population and gang participation by black Americans nationwide is at an all time low.

I agree that black people cannot fix "black on black crime" at all in a particular city. We can be involved in neighborhood watch programs or block clubs in order to deter criminals in our neighborhoods and to report criminals to police/law enforcement. I also agree that police and law enforcement are there to halt crime in combination with neighborhood watch/block clubs. That it is vital that law enforcement not criminalize black people as a whole and ensure that they have a primarily positive relationship with the populace of the neighborhoods they police. Profiling can be reduced by police knowing the neighborhood beat and the people who live in the neighborhood who they know on a more personal level.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
1. The August 1979 Ebony Magazine piece is one of THE best articles I've ever read when it came to addressing Black on Black crime.

2. The Self-Destruction/We're All In The Same Gang videos that came out ('Self' was from the east, 'Gang' was from the west) attempted to address the violence in hip hop and in the hoods.

3. Here in NYC, the late policeman/City Councilman James Davis held constant Stop The Violence Marches in the 90s and early 2000s.

As indicated, there was an constant effort. But there was very little mainstream spotlight.
On this, I want to point out that the era of extremely high crime from the 1970s through the mid 1990s that there was a LOT of focus by black people in both neighborhoods and celebrities/hip hop culture to reduce crime and gang activity and drug use.

I think it is interesting, as the OP noted that this is not spoken about often. On this forum in particular I see rather ignorant post about how black people don't "do anything" to stop crime in their neighborhoods or that black people have a culture that promotes crime. When you look at reality, you see that both of those commonly believed stereotypes are false.

As a result of the intense focus of black people on reducing gang activity and drug abuse in particular (these were the primary causes of crime in black neighborhoods in my youth) crime has GREATLY decreased in the black population. Drug use in particular in regards to crack cocaine and heroine and other hardcore drugs like meth are much lower amongst the black population versus the white population and today's drug epidemic has victims who are mostly white and suburban. This is directly related to the fact that drugs and gangs are seen as highly negative amongst black people today and especially so for those of my generation forward (I am a "young" Gen-X). We saw first hand how crime and drugs can decimate families and neighborhoods and so we do not engage in those activities to a high degree anymore, however, we are still the face of these sorts of crimes and it is interesting to me that whites who use meth an heroine today are not criminalized as much as black crack addicts were criminalized in the 1980s/1990s. There are some racial undertones to this IMO along with society's evolution in regads to the disease of addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The job of the police isn't to "stop crime". The police are there to ENFORCE THE LAW. They make arrests after the fact. It is up to the victims and community to point out who the police should be investigating. Too bad in the black community the code is "snitches get stitches". If the police are not told who the suspects are, then everyone is a suspect.
The bold is VERY outdated and goes back to what I mentioned above. I have primarily lived in poor black neighborhoods during my adult years and as a result I have been heavily involved in neighborhood watch/block club programs and local city/regional committees regarding the neighborhoods of which I lived. I personally knew the commanders of the police beats in my neighborhoods via my activities and I had their personal cell phone numbers and would call to report crimes as did the majority of my neighbors. Contrary to what many believe, black people who live in high crime neighborhoods actually do "snitch" a whole lot. Usually though the police do not seem to listen to our snitching and tips.

In regards to drugs in particular (I lived in a neighborhood known as one of the top heroin trafficking areas in the country) I personally informed police about suspected drug activity and it took them 5 years to do anything about it even after continued tips by not only me, but various neighbors who were sick of seeing drug deals occur (primarily sold to white suburban kids BTW) out in the open every day in our neighborhood. Police's excuse for not taking action earlier was that they had to build a case. They knew about the drug sellers we told them about. When we saw large rowdy groups of people as specific hangout spots, we called police (this is a motto of black clubs/neighborhood watch "We Call Police.") More often than not, they would not come based on our calls until something violent happened a fight or gun shots. In order to get them to actually come you would have to say you heard gun shots, even though you didn't.

So there is no "code" with black people to not "snitch." Most crime ridden black neighborhoods are filled with elderly people who call police all the time and they are not afraid of the "hoodlums" in their neighborhoods. It is just that police do not respond to us often.

I'll end with the fact that your belief in the bold about black people is based on 1990s era rap songs. It is 25 years later.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,488,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I personally do not believe "black on black crime" exist. Crime is crime IMO and in all countries crimes is predominantly intra-racial and especially so in America which still has a high degree of segregation (the segregation is by choice for all groups IMO BTW).

Of course black people predominantly commit crimes against other black people. So do Asians and Hispanics and white people and the indigenous population of this country. This is because Asians live around more Asians. Hispanics live around hispanics. Whites live around whites. Indigenous live around indigenous.
These discussions have to deal with Rates of crime, not totals. Just as with welfare. Sure, more whites than blacks receive welfare, but as a % of their relative populations, blacks receive welfare at a higher Rate. The stats are provided over and over.

Whether the causes are slavery, racism, absentee fathers, the justice system, etc.., let's not dance around the facts.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
These discussions have to deal with Rates of crime, not totals. Just as with welfare. Sure, more whites than blacks receive welfare, but as a % of their relative populations, blacks receive welfare at a higher Rate. The stats are provided over and over.

Whether the causes are slavery, racism, absentee fathers, the justice system, etc.., let's not dance around the facts.
Here is the question. Why are those stats brought up, often ad nauseam? What is the purpose. A statistic is that, numbers. It is why it gets brought up that counts. If the reason is to complain about Blacks, then there is nothing that can come out of that except stirring up more anger and resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.