Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 AM

413 posts, read 909,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
That's a huge sorespot here in Dallas. TxDOT just opened a HOV lane on one highway that took away a lane from the rest of the traffic flow, and no one uses it. It's a complete waste and only hurt the congestion.

I wish there would be roads through cities that had no exits within the metro area, other than an occasional rest area with gas and food. Most of the congestion is highways merging and people getting on and off... if the through traffic could zip through a city, it would lessen the load for commuters.
There would be less congestion if people were to carpool, hence the reason behind instituting those lanes. The people in traffic should use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
There would be less congestion if people were to carpool, hence the reason behind instituting those lanes. The people in traffic should use them.
NJ finally abandoned them after years of little use and backed up traffic out the kazoo.

Too many people travel to different destinations and work different hours to make it feasable here.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
[quote=odinloki1;2871313]
Quote:
I don't like how drivers don't respect each other on the road or other people. When I'm out cycling on the shoulder or in a bike lane, drivers stick their heads out and yell at me.
Man, where do you live that people do that? I've lived in the Midwest (MO), Southwest (TX) and Northeast (NJ) and I've never experienced that (and I'm out exercising 5 - 7 days a week).

Frustrating.
Quote:
I hope gas goes up to $8 a gallon]
Me too. It would get the riff-raff off of the roads.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
People are like that all over, with the disrespecting bikes. I like your no exits in cities idea, but if a commuter needed to get across town they would drive all the way across through congested city traffic, or that first exit off the highway would be backed up for miles. There might as well be some sort of light rail that stops intermittantly. Correctly implemented there could be few stops and people could walk a little more, a partial cure to the obesity epidemic!

There's something else I don't like about private transportation, people who don't focus on their driving! I've waited through whole lights because a person in front of me is doing God knows what instead of watching the stoplight.

Regarding public transportation, if you think of it from a pure physics standpoint the weight of a car for a single commuter is probably 2 tons (4000 pounds) give or take depending on size. A bus is approximately 13 tons (26000) pounds. If you think of the energy needed to move all of that machinery. The bus becomes more energy efficient after just 6 or 7 passengers. Transporting 20 or 30 passengers and its extremely efficient vs. all of them commuting individually.

I doubt we will ever make it truly conducive for commuters to bike or bus to work. Here in AZ most employers do not offer any sort of facility where employees can change/clean up before starting a shift, and 9 months out of the year you will be sweating a lot if you did decide to commute under your own power. I'm willing to bet most places around the country (but not all) are very similar to this in that people who are more conscious and responsible about how they get to work have nowhere to change and get ready for a shift other than maybe a public restroom stall.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 AM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Totally Agree!! I cannot stand bikers, they are the silliest people. I remember one biker during Rush Hour deciding it was a great time to ride in the middle of the street at a very slow pace. Finally someone temper flared and the guy tried to run him off the road. The biker responded with a middle finger the driver beeped and slammed on his breaks. I was a little terrified for the a-hole biker, because Car vs Bike, car always wins. However, the driver just continued to drive, but they did get into a bit of a yelling match at the stop light.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 AM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
I also hate anyone that plays their music loud at a stop light, that just drives me nuts! It is almost never a song i know or like!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Totally Agree!! I cannot stand bikers, they are the silliest people. I remember one biker during Rush Hour deciding it was a great time to ride in the middle of the street at a very slow pace. Finally someone temper flared and the guy tried to run him off the road. The biker responded with a middle finger the driver beeped and slammed on his breaks. I was a little terrified for the a-hole biker, because Car vs Bike, car always wins. However, the driver just continued to drive, but they did get into a bit of a yelling match at the stop light.
Ah yes, one biker caused a problem so they are all bad.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Frustrating.

Me too. It would get the riff-raff off of the roads.
Putting gas prices up to $8.00 a gallon wouldn't get the riff-raff off the roads.
It would only allow the rich to drive, therefore are you suggesting that only the "average Joe" is riff-raff?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Putting gas prices up to $8.00 a gallon wouldn't get the riff-raff off the roads.
It would only allow the rich to drive, therefore are you suggesting that only the "average Joe" is riff-raff?
It would sure knock those SUV numbers down

Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
It would sure knock those SUV numbers down
If you parked them literally bumper to bumper, you could fit 309 Toyota Sequoia's into a mile of highway. In the same space and manner, you could park 362 Toyota Prius's. The implications are obvious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies