Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes, there a few that might have loud exhaust.

But, perhaps they "wizz" by you because you are going to slow???

Oh.. definately not one guilty of driving too slow.. that's for sure.. They just usually go excessively fast..

And they don't even have to be noisy.. it's when they go super fast right pst you on the highway and seem to come out of NOWHERE and suddenly they are right next to or in front of you. It's crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
And they don't even have to be noisy.. it's when they go super fast right pst you on the highway and seem to come out of NOWHERE and suddenly they are right next to or in front of you. It's crazy
As a bike rider, I can tell you that whay you are describing happens when they are accelerating. Bikes when speeding up, are noiser.

And, your "come out of nowhere" comment? It is COMMON for car drivers not to see bikers - it is one of the dangers we face when riding. Bikers don't "come out of nowhere" - trust me. They were there - you simply did not see them

Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
As a bike rider, I can tell you that whay you are describing happens when they are accelerating. Bikes when speeding up, are noiser.

And, your "come out of nowhere" comment? It is COMMON for car drivers not to see bikers - it is one of the dangers we face when riding. Bikers don't "come out of nowhere" - trust me. They were there - you simply did not see them

Well I know that.. LOL.. of course they were there..they didn't just materialize..

If they didn't weave through traffic though.. they wouldn't scare the bejeezes out of me.. it cuold be dangerous.. if you get startled you can jolt and swerve.. it's happened once or twice..
They should just sit in traffic like the rest of us and not zip in and out of cars.. I HATE that so much.. wethe the traffic is sitting still or moving at a pretty rapid pace they do this.

Now.. while Harley guys DO tend to drive obnoxiously LOUD cycles..which also is annoying and scary (and hey..it frightens the kids too!).. I do have to say that most of those riders have a respect for the road and you do not really see these guys doing all that weaving .. it's the younger riders with those Ninja bikes that do all that crazy weaving.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
. it's the younger riders with those Ninja bikes that do all that crazy weaving.
They are not called "Ninja" bikes TM - they are known as "crotch rockets" by bikers

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
They are not called "Ninja" bikes TM - they are known as "crotch rockets" by bikers

Ah..LOL>.. is Ninja a brand.. I've often heard it referred to as Ninja bikes?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ah..LOL>.. is Ninja a brand.. I've often heard it referred to as Ninja bikes?
Ninja is a brand TM -

Bikers refer to all similar type bikes though as crotch rockets because of the way the rider has to sit -

I prefer the cruisers - I can do my 80 - 85 mph all day long, listen to the radio, drink my coffee, enjoy the scenery

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I hate it when I inadvertently notice someone else picking his/her nose. But, maybe that's just life.
Just holler out "I hope you pick a winner!!!"

Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
That's a huge sorespot here in Dallas. TxDOT just opened a HOV lane on one highway that took away a lane from the rest of the traffic flow, and no one uses it. It's a complete waste and only hurt the congestion.

I wish there would be roads through cities that had no exits within the metro area, other than an occasional rest area with gas and food. Most of the congestion is highways merging and people getting on and off... if the through traffic could zip through a city, it would lessen the load for commuters.
That's why they were called Limited Access Highways. The original intent was to provide high-speed, uninterrupted travel between major urban centers.

Somehow everybody and their brother wanted an exit added so they could get off closer to their neighborhood. It's akin to a bus that stops at every kid's house on the street to pick them up and drop them off.

Secondary highways and rural routes were supposed to be the intracity traffic arteries.

If you read any urban planning book you will notice that interstates were designed to go around congested areas and avoid having businesses and retail locate near them. This causes congestion and impedes flow. The violation of this principle is why we have so much congestion on highways not to mention the negative affect highway-oriented development has had on the urban business and retail core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies