Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 04:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Where do you think smog and air pollution comes from?

An average human exhales around 2.3 pounds of CO2 in a day. So you are part of the problem.
I'm certain you know the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
An average human exhales around 2.3 pounds of CO2 in a day. So you are part of the problem.
I'm certain you know the solution.
Awwww I bet you thought that was cute.

Let me know when you figure out my question.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
So what is your point?

We should remain slaves to oil and coal?
If those are the least expensive as well as the cleanest, yes. And I include net energy output.

Quote:
Do you work for ARAMCO or are you into coal?
Neither.

Quote:
I live in Arizona and I have a solar water heater and solar panels. It works wonders for me.
That's great. And do you have a backup system for cloudy days?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
If we dumped as much money into developing fusion reactors that we waste on all of the silly solar and wind alternatives (which don't provide anywhere near the power that mankind consumes and never will) we would probably already have an inexhaustible, virtually free, form of energy production already.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That someone in Kansas subsidized through their labor (slavery, taxes)
Exactly. As a New Yorker I am similarly not happy that I subsidized empty Interstates in Kansas and Wyoming that never would have been built without Federal, i.e. our dollars. Keep in mind we built our own highway network first. I do not like paying for the boondoggles of others, including wind and solar power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You had to read a whole article in the NY Times to tell you that there's no solar energy at night and not much on a cloudy day, and no wind power when the wind doesn't blow? The whole idea that you could run a nation on renewables is only someone who lives in a box in a city and gets their whole world view from a box would believe.

A solar powered jet liner? A solar powered train or truck? Ever seen an electric arc furnace or a rotary kiln? They will not run on wind power.
I think you nailed it and I repped the post. I was not allowed to excerpt more from the article or I would have. The people who believe that solar and/or wind are panaceas or even advantageous are the same subset who believe in Santa Claus. As the "Yes Virginia" letter said,in part (link):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Virginia Letter
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.
In other words the sentiment behind wanting to turn an inexhaustible supply of sun or wind into power is noble; the nuts and bolts not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
If we dumped as much money into developing fusion reactors that we waste on all of the silly solar and wind alternatives (which don't provide anywhere near the power that mankind consumes and never will) we would probably already have an inexhaustible, virtually free, form of energy production already.
Not expensive or circuitous enough for the "where have all the flowers gone" crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Do you wish us to be enslaved to the government?

Do you work for a wind or solar power company?

I live in Texas and have natural gas piped into my home and am wired for electricity. It works for me.

Gee, how easy this is.
Clever use of satire. I repped this post.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:35 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
What amazes me is all the old industrial mill pond dams across the Northeast (and peidmont South east) are just sitting there, I can't Imagine it is too difficult to retro fit them for electrical power. Most of them already have man made channels for when the water was used to power mills.
All of the Above is the only way to get off carbon-based fuels.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Options, lead acid & Li po

NiCad is an also ran.

Lead acid is cheap and 100% recyclable. But only 50% efficient. So you need to put 50% more power in than you want to pull back out.

Li po. 90% efficient but they burn like... and they cost lots.

I'm looking at a solar shower too. using 55gl drums cheap used once from Coke.
Using the electricity to run hydrolysis and create hydrogen that then can be put through a fuel cell would be an indefinite and more efficient method, but you need a certain critical mass of power to justify all the extra infrastructure, so it isn't feasible on a small scale.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Of course, you are absolutely right and for an off grid cabin, they would certainly be adequate. To replace large base load stations, I don't believe we have got there yet.
They haven't. I'm not one to argue that we are even close but that we should continue development.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have a lot of NIMBY's on our coasts. People who love the idea of renewable energy but don't want to see it.
Ask the late Ted Kennedy about that one. He didn't want to see the views of his beloved Chappaquiddick, I mean Cape Cod ruined.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What amazes me is all the old industrial mill pond dams across the Northeast (and peidmont South east) are just sitting there, I can't Imagine it is too difficult to retro fit them for electrical power. Most of them already have man made channels for when the water was used to power mills.
All of the Above is the only way to get off carbon-based fuels.
I've seen them. They're quaint, charming and way too small to be of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies