Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long till Russia officially aims their nukes towards Europe and US?
Now to 1 month 4 11.76%
1 to 6 months 1 2.94%
6 months to 1 year 7 20.59%
1 - 10 years 9 26.47%
10+ years 4 11.76%
Never 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times

Advertisements

So, in the past month or two we have had just off the top of my head

1) Spreading of US nuclear detection system
2) Spreading of NATO and EU influence into old soviet states
3) Planning to shoot down a broken spy satelite
4) Kosovo planning to seperate from a long time ally of Russia (WWI much?)

So.. how long do you think it's going to take for them to officially declare they are re-aiming their missles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Unfortunately I don't think it will be long. Vladimir Putin is a very stubborn man who likes to flex his muscles.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Russia does what Russia wants and whatever they think is in Russia's best interest.

Not too many hand wringers and bed wetters over there in terms of "world public opinion".

That's more of an American characteristic.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 PM

413 posts, read 909,659 times
Well, Russia perceives that the United States is breaking the ABM treaties by employing multiple ABM systems, so Russia probably feels it has the right. In all honesty, I don't think that they're all that misguided in that belief.

For anyone denying this, please read "The Folly of Arms Control," an article published in Foreign Affairs by Jonathan Schell.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
How long do you think till Russia officially aims their nukes back at Europe and US?

I doubt the Russians ever stopped aiming their missiles at us and I doubt the US ever stopped aiming ours at them. The cold war was an unintended victim of global warming, the US economic juggernaught, and Russian militarism-foreign policy blundering. Today, Russia is clawing its way back on to the global scene along with China so it should be of no surprise that this is taking place.

I mean really, what better time to exert ones muscle in a show of power but when the US is struggling in two separate conflicts abroad, the economy is stumbling and our national credit card of good will is past due and slightly over extended... no brainer here.

Remember just keep paying attention to last weeks buzzword... "islamofascism", rinse, repeat and all your worries will vanish.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
How long do you think till Russia officially aims their nukes back at Europe and US?

I doubt the Russians ever stopped aiming their missiles at us and I doubt the US ever stopped aiming ours at them. The cold war was an unintended victim of global warming, the US economic juggernaught, and Russian militarism-foreign policy blundering. Today, Russia is clawing its way back on to the global scene along with China so it should be of no surprise that this is taking place.

I mean really, what better time to exert ones muscle in a show of power but when the US is struggling in two separate conflicts abroad, the economy is stumbling and our national credit card of good will is past due and slightly over extended... no brainer here.

Remember just keep paying attention to last weeks buzzword... "islamofascism", rinse, repeat and all your worries will vanish.
Terrorism is the new communism.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
It wouldn't matter either way. It doesn't take long to re-target missiles. And since the US and Russia would most likely lob ICBM's at each other from 'over the top' (North Pole) the nuke-fest would end in a M.A.D. draw.

Unless it's: we could kill them more than they could kill us it really doesn't matter.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Russia continues to extort neighbors via Gazprom, funding their nation via exhorbitant prices setting. Intimidation tactics are all they know, their ability to create value via new technology is very limited:

reportonbusiness.com: Russia, Ukraine settle gas dispute (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080212.wukrainegas0212/BNStory/energy/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080212.wukrainegas0212 - broken link)

I expect the debt level to be negotiated based upon the Ukraine's willingness to forego NATO membership.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Russia continues to extort neighbors via Gazprom, funding their nation via exhorbitant prices setting. Intimidation tactics are all they know, their ability to create value via new technology is very limited:

reportonbusiness.com: Russia, Ukraine settle gas dispute (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080212.wukrainegas0212/BNStory/energy/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080212.wukrainegas0212 - broken link)

I expect the debt level to be negotiated based upon the Ukraine's willingness to forego NATO membership.
Why is it wrong for Russia to set the price it wants to charge for its exports? Do you feel it would be right for the US gov't to tell a business owner how much to charge for a product?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Why is it wrong for Russia to set the price it wants to charge for its exports? Do you feel it would be right for the US gov't to tell a business owner how much to charge for a product?
It is a matter of how it forces neighbors to route natural gas via the pipelines. They "encourage" it to go through Russia, allowing them to optimize control over pricing and distribution. It has very little to do with setting prices for it's imports, it is about expanding the process to capture more things to export.

Russia, The War of The Pipelines - JRL 5-19-07

I'm generally a free market guy, and Russia stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies