Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,016,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Why not?
It's the only job where you can say "Oops" or "I don't know" (Like the Miami cop said) and get away with murder.
Well then let me ask you- when YOU were a cop, or present tense if you still are one-how did YOU handle those types of situations? I'm figuring since you know so much about how they should always react to any tense situations, I figure you to be an instructor or at least an experienced LEO since you know so much

Old 07-22-2016, 04:18 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,888,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Dead civilans are like molly to the right
Most right-wingers don't know what molly is.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,953,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
No, you are (edited...) if you imagine and shoot before confirming someone has a gun.
Yes, compliance is needed but not complying is not a death sentence.
Ready means guns drawn and ready to shoot. You wait to take gun out until pointed? Well you'll be dead but guns drawn and ready is what they need to be if someone is not complying but only shoot when confirmed. Someone trained with guns drawn usually will be faster than a non complying person trying to get a gun out from wherever it is.
(edited...) like you are the ones who support bad cops.
Show me the rule that says if someone is not complying, shoot to kill.
There is no rule like that.
You and the cops who do that is the reason for public outcry as they end up killing innocent right there and then more cops get killed in revenge as you can see by recent events.
(edited...)
Thanks for the clarification.

You are right in saying that a police officer should have the weapon drawn as well as have enough poise to resist the "landing zone" and shoot out of reaction.

However, the person shouldn't be reaching into anything to begin with. Again, another case of improper training and procedure that get cops hemmed up.

In this case, the cop would have had every right to shoot had he seen a weapon but I would have fired his bleep for even allowing the reach in...

Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Most right-wingers don't know what molly is.
Dead civilans is like crack to right wingers.. Thats better im sure they know what that is .

Old 07-22-2016, 04:31 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,953,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Nowhere in this entire thread did anyone say it was ok for cops to shoot innocent people. The OP was trying to point out that this is what happens when hands are tied because of politics. The cop that was shot could have died. MOST police I've encountered aren't just going to sit there and let you dig around for an object they can't see. It doesn't matter if it's a regular object. If you don't comply with police, no matter who you are, you should expect some kind of physical harm to come your way.

By the way I'm black, and I've been confronted by cops numerous times both as a previous hoodlum and as a white collar professional. Not once have I been shot, beat up, aggressively handled, or even handcuffed. I'm almost 100% certain that it's because I'm always respectful and I comply with whatever they ask. If people don't like what the cop is doing, don't sit there and argue with them on the scene. Take it to court. Seriously. I've beaten at least 5 tickets like that.
Sorry bro but using yourself as an example is one of the most unreasonable ways to make a point. There is psychology behind our actions when dealing with police. As a former police officer, i can honestly say that many cops lack social dynamics. They are so charged up with tactical skills that they don't cultivate their people skills. A cop that has a dream to join the task force isn't thinking of doing walk throughs to talk to store owners and get to know the community. Physiologically, they are geared for action and need that rush to keep their chemicals flowing. If not, many become depressed and commit suicide for lack of action.

So same goes with people. No matter how much you teach a person to stop resisting, when the time comes, they simply black out. And many cops don't understand that some of their creep actions add to the anxiety and create an atmosphere of distrust and severe stress- which is why many panic and run.

Try telling a claustrophobic to calm down and I will show you a mad man

Old 07-22-2016, 04:31 PM

1,431 posts, read 906,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So the lesson here from right wingers is that is is okay for cops to shoot anyone who reaches into a bag. My question to the OP, why was the man reaching into his backpack to begin with? Seems the officer let him for a reason, it would be wrong for the officer to allow the person to do that, and then shoot him when he did.
What should've happened in this situation is that the cop instructed the shooter to put his bag on the ground and let the other cop on the scene check it for the supposed ID card. Basically, the bag shouldn't have been part of this entire equation. It should have been put safely out of reach of the shooter.

I'm not a cop, but I have experience checking people overseas because of the military. And trust me, potential insurgents are way more reckless than American citizens (e.g. those guys use suicide vests). We took absolutely NO chances with them. One guy search his person, the other search his items AWAY from him to avoid this kind of situation. Even TSA has enough common sense to avoid this. Even they don't let you walk through the metal detector with your bag (or anything else for that matter besides your clothes).

Old 07-22-2016, 04:39 PM

19,701 posts, read 11,953,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Well then let me ask you- when YOU were a cop, or present tense if you still are one-how did YOU handle those types of situations? I'm figuring since you know so much about how they should always react to any tense situations, I figure you to be an instructor or at least an experienced LEO since you know so much
Good question.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,274,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
That's a stupid argument.
It's same as if you pay for food in a restaurent and food is bad, you can't complain the cook because the cook can say ,"Oh you don't like my cooking? Cook yourself".
No, that's stupid comment.
Cook is paid to cook good food.
Similary, we pay cops to train and protect us.
If they don't do their job properly, they can't say "Oh you don't like how we shoot people? Come you shoot yourself".
Stupid answer.
Answer should be "Sorry, we'll try to improve how we do things and punish those who didn't do the job right", not "Oh you are the expert, come you do our job".

Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,274,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Sorry bro but using yourself as an example is one of the most unreasonable ways to make a point. There is psychology behind our actions when dealing with police. As a former police officer, i can honestly say that many cops lack social dynamics. They are so charged up with tactical skills that they don't cultivate their people skills. A cop that has a dream to join the task force isn't thinking of doing walk throughs to talk to store owners and get to know the community. Physiologically, they are geared for action and need that rush to keep their chemicals flowing. If not, many become depressed and commit suicide for lack of action.

So same goes with people. No matter how much you teach a person to stop resisting, when the time comes, they simply black out. And many cops don't understand that some of their creep actions add to the anxiety and create an atmosphere of distrust and severe stress- which is why many panic and run.

Try telling a claustrophobic to calm down and I will show you a mad man
Well said.
Maybe that's what is needed.
Cops who are geared only for action, put them in SWAT team instead of streets.
It's a difficult and complex situation.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,455,039 times
Do people NOT understand how Obama and Clinton have empowered those who hate cops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies