Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Right, that's why 96% of workers are paid more than minimum wage, because no employer will ever pay what a job is worth and only pay more than $1/ hour because Big Brother forces them too.
I was referring to the 4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
The real answer is that it costs MUCH MORE to set up a system to get work out of people who are have no motivation to work. It's much cheaper just to send them checks, and the cost of just doing that--along with all the other ridiculous overspending--is astronomical. Increasing the cost of welfare to force some of its recipients to "work" just isn't going to happen.

For one thing, having tons of "father unknown" children is the key to big welfare payments, and who would take care of the children while the mothers were sweeping the streets? A babysitter costs far more than the jobs available to the welfare class, and there are bound to be accidents and huge lawsuits from the irate mothers.

Our leaders have messed up this nation so fundamentally that fixing it would require a bulldozer and new construction crew, which the Ruling Class will NOT allow. The economy has been gutted of jobs, the Fed has sabotaged the Baby Boom's retirement with ZIRP and a rigged stock market, and the only things doing well are Big Government and Big Business--which are the same thing. "Big Goviness?" "Big Busiment?"

Old 07-24-2016, 12:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Oh yeah, got to harass them mercilessly to make sure they know how much we resent doling out the scraps they get. This liberal disagrees. Work, yes. Unnecessary BS to punish them? No.

So I need to be drug tested for my job, but free money should come with no testing? How does that work?

And those "scraps" are substantial. In many places (varying by state/location) they are better then a lot of low wage workers.

Lastly, how much time have you invested in saying that the "punishment" foe trying to get a pistol permit in liberal states should be abolished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Those on welfare almost always have young children.

OK, let's take the single mother with four young children out of the home and put her in your imaginary factory 40 hours per week. For the sake of this argument, let's say she is even qualified or intelligent enough to do the work in your imaginary factory.

What happens to the children while the single mother is working in your imaginary factory 40 hours per week? What if the children are all too young for school? What if they are old enough to go to school, but your imaginary factory only needs workers on the third shift? Who watches the children then?

If the government is going to force the mother to work instead of taking care of her children, they will have to pay for the childcare, which probably negates any savings the government would see by making her work in the imaginary factory.

Oh, and good luck finding these imaginary factories that will be lining up to hire all of the "welfare queens".

I'm sure this grand plan will work...in fantasy land.
What a bad argument! What do WORKING people do? My wife and I go without, work OT, and rely on relative to help out but someone getting free cash shouldn't be put upon? Give me a damned break. Plenty of things that can be done without a time crunch.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

How about making childcare more affordable. That would work for many. If your weeks salary has to go to pay childcare....how do you have enough money left over to pay rent, food, etc. Do you have any idea how much childcare costs these days. Many of these people want to work, they don't like handouts.
But people who work in childcare are already working minimum wage, often not given full-time hours, with little to no benefits. How are they supposed to have money to pay for rent, food, etc if you pay them less? Most of them are already receiving welfare benefits themselves. It's really really expensive to do all the things required by state licensing.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Liberals won't let you!

Public sector unions won't let you because that would be 'taking' jobs to which the unions consider themselves entitled.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
And they need to be drug tested.......a lot.

So if I'm on welfare and you drug test me and I'm clean, I'm offended, so do I get to sue you?

Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Makes no sense why we give people money for nothing. There are sidewalks that need swept, fruit that needs picked, and we throw money down the drain instead of getting productive work done with the money? Why can't we replace the welfare system with some type of government jobs program? Maybe reopen some of our factories and have people work for $4/hr or whatever the equivalent is that they receive for doing nothing.
Well, most people on welfare do actually work. Granted, it's hard to get a terribly specific number on it, mainly because there are many different things that qualify someone for welfare as well as different kinds of welfare (and I don't want to do extensive research for a forum post). Just as an example, one of the largest demographics of welfare recipients are children, who, due to pesky child labor laws, can't be employed. Many also have disabilities. But most able bodied adults do work. Certain people abuse technicalities, but for the most part, the average adult on welfare is employed at least part time, usually full time.

Granted, I have no problem with getting people to work. If someone doesn't have a job, it's far more productive to find them one than just give them money, even if that specific case isn't terribly common.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:20 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You can't make people work. That would be inhumane.
No. What the OP is saying is work to receive their welfare check. Duh!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Makes no sense why we give people money for nothing. There are sidewalks that need swept, fruit that needs picked, and we throw money down the drain instead of getting productive work done with the money? Why can't we replace the welfare system with some type of government jobs program? Maybe reopen some of our factories and have people work for $4/hr or whatever the equivalent is that they receive for doing nothing.
Most people on welfare have jobs.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:

Wait a second....we have the TSA and the post office....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies