Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 11:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Resisting an illegal arrest is not illegal.

"Where he or she is authorized to do so".

Recognizing someone that had broke a law in the past is not authorization to arrest someone.

Was the arrest deemed an illegal arrest? Did the prosecution bring this up during the grand jury? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's the point.

How many people have been murdered by what police forces? The answer is not known because the police have a nasty habit of covering it up. Before video, cops illiterately got away with murder.

So, I would say this. This "picnic" would be a symbolic action - geared toward making peace across the country (as a starting point). As I said, this is not the place to start. Bring out the records for this PD's accusation - I am pretty sure some exist. Investigate the department. And if it looks clean, then have your party. If not, investigate further.
What about the citizens of THAT community?

If THEY enjoyed the BBQ and felt like it was a step in the right direction, why the need for BLM (and you too for that matter) to shout 'em down?

How can you actually say that which I bolded above with no basis in fact whatsoever?

Quote:
It is relevant. BLM doesn't want barbeque ribs. They want police officers held accountable for their actions.

The case against the officers in the Garner case is still open.
It would appear that the actual citizens of Wichita were pretty happy with the ribs. THEY weren't the ones complaining that it wasn't a step in the right direction. BLM should shut their collective traps if the citizens of that community were happy with the gesture.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Keep right on saying it, even though you know it's not factual.

Makes discussion a little pointless, but I suspect you're not really after productive discussion, regardless.
I'm not. I'm after police accountability.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
What about the citizens of THAT community?

If THEY enjoyed the BBQ and felt like it was a step in the right direction, why the need for BLM (and you too for that matter) to shout 'em down?

How can you actually say that which I bolded above with no basis in fact whatsoever?

It would appear that the actual citizens of Wichita were pretty happy with the ribs. THEY weren't the ones complaining that it wasn't a step in the right direction. BLM should shut their collective traps if the citizens of that community were happy with the gesture.
Maybe you didn't see where I said, "I" wouldn't go. "I" don't support the idea, and "I" would not council anyone else to either.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Was the arrest deemed an illegal arrest? Did the prosecution bring this up during the grand jury? If not, why not?
How much did the family get? I'll have to look it up. They got so much becuase they had no right to search him.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not. I'm after police accountability.

No, what you're evidently after is police punishment, regardless of what our legal system has to say about the criminality of their actions.

Punishment is wholly different and separate from "accountability".

What will you say if the DoJ investigation into the Garner case renders the same decision as the grand jury? Will that suddenly be a dog and pony show, too?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post

They did it under the auspices of BLM. BLM said, no we were not a part of this and it isn't what we want.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
How much did the family get? I'll have to look it up. They got so much becuase they had no right to search him.

Civil liability and criminal liability deal with two COMPLETELY different standards for burden of proof. Look no further than the OJ trial for an example of that. Did OJ do it? Almost certainly. Did the prosecution completely fail to demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it? Absolutely. Still found liable in civil court, though. Apples and oranges.

I suspect you know that, though, and are being intentionally deceptive. Again.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
They did it under the auspices of BLM. BLM said, no we were not a part of this and it isn't what we want.

Were the folks that attended affiliated with BLM? I can be a member of something - say, the Catholic Church - and be for or against something that the Vatican holds the opposite opinion of.

Whether BLM "leadership" thought it was good or endorsed it can be completely different than what local BLM members think or feel. Right?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Civil liability and criminal liability deal with two COMPLETELY different standards for burden of proof. Look no further than the OJ trial for an example of that. Did OJ do it? Almost certainly. Did the prosecution completely fail to demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it? Absolutely. Still found liable in civil court, though. Apples and oranges.

I suspect you know that, though, and are being intentionally deceptive. Again.
The prosecution didn't even try. They are not going to investigate their own outside of rare occasions. That needs changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies