Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
...We have to get permission to pick up trash now? That's pretty sad.

I don't know any history of the ordinance or why it was implemented. If the good people of Fairfield, AL, think it's pointless legislation, they should change it. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't know any history of the ordinance or why it was implemented. If the good people of Fairfield, AL, think it's pointless legislation, they should change it. Simple.
They should ignore it.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I never said it was. We know that the officers in the Tamir Rice case lied and the prosecutors covered for them.

The Tamir Rice Story: How to Make a Police Shooting Disappear | GQ

The Grand Jury in the Tamir Rice Case Did Not Take a Vote on Charges (Updated) | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog | Cleveland Scene

We know the officer that pulled the trigger had previously been ruled as incompetent but still is on the force.

Cleveland officer who killed Tamir Rice had been deemed unfit for duty - LA Times

I don't have the energy to read that entire GQ article, I got about halfway through it. It seems to me it was almost exclusively about McGinty's office. I didn't see anything about the officers lying, but again, I didn't read the whole thing.

If McGinty acted inappropriately for a DA, he should be voted out of office. If he can be shown to be criminally negligent in performing his duties, he should be brought up on charges.

Yes, we know the officer that pulled the trigger was not a super-cop. There's no profession out there where every single person performing the job is an all-star. If Cleveland PD needs to revisit their hiring policies, or dispatching policies (i.e. no two-man car with a trainee can respond to these types of calls) I'm fine with that.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we've got and it's better than anything I've seen elsewhere.

What are you suggesting be changed, specifically?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
They should ignore it.

Ignoring duly passed legislation because you don't like it? Doesn't sound much like a civilized society to me.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't have the energy to read that entire GQ article, I got about halfway through it. It seems to me it was almost exclusively about McGinty's office. I didn't see anything about the officers lying, but again, I didn't read the whole thing.

If McGinty acted inappropriately for a DA, he should be voted out of office. If he can be shown to be criminally negligent in performing his duties, he should be brought up on charges.
That is what many of us argue........things should be done but they are not.

Quote:
Yes, we know the officer that pulled the trigger was not a super-cop. There's no profession out there where every single person performing the job is an all-star. If Cleveland PD needs to revisit their hiring policies, or dispatching policies (i.e. no two-man car with a trainee can respond to these types of calls) I'm fine with that.

It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we've got and it's better than anything I've seen elsewhere.

What are you suggesting be changed, specifically?
Actually performing back ground checks? That isn't asking for much really. If a police officer lies during an investigation, they are fired. I don't think that is asking too much either. We have to have faith in an honest justice system.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Ignoring duly passed legislation because you don't like it? Doesn't sound much like a civilized society to me.
Those enacting the rules are doing it. I've noted this for a long time. You are right, it's a lousy system but it starts at the top. When the top ignores laws when they want to the people are going to also.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:20 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
The article is about BLM but it's the bigger picture. It's always been the bigger picture. We have to get permission to pick up trash now? That's pretty sad.
This was not picking up trash off the ground. This was collecting trash from trash cans for disposal in a landfill. Those are very different things.
The former almost always involves waste that is commonly accepted at a wide range of landfills. The latter involves household hazardous waste and yard wast which each requires a separate handling protocol and are accepted at separate types of specific landfills.
(Had to work on the sanitation contracts for our district once, and the breadth and depth of specifications in those is pretty interesting.)
When you don't have these sorts of landfill regulations in place, or when they are not enforced, you end up with things like the West Lake Landfill.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Actually performing back ground checks? That isn't asking for much really. If a police officer lies during an investigation, they are fired. I don't think that is asking too much either. We have to have faith in an honest justice system.
We also need to simply pay police and teachers far more than we do.

When police departments can select only the top candidates, rather than taking any candidate who can pass the background check, people like Timothy Loehmann will never have a job as a police officer in the first place, much less get moved between departments.
(Also, if we can pay police officers over $100k/yr, then many of the protections they have on the job now go away. They would still get due process, but some of the protections they have now like the requirement for progressive discipline would no longer apply.)

Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
This was not picking up trash off the ground. This was collecting trash from trash cans for disposal in a landfill. Those are very different things.
No they aren't. The city wasn't doing it, it was causing a nuisance and a public health issue so the people decided to do it.

We should have to get permission to do that?

Old 07-31-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
We also need to simply pay police and teachers far more than we do.
That is very possible. I have never been against that as long as the higher pay comes with a higher level of accountability.

Quote:
When police departments can select only the top candidates, rather than taking any candidate who can pass the background check, people like Timothy Loehmann will never have a job as a police officer in the first place, much less get moved between departments.
(Also, if we can pay police officers over $100k/yr, then many of the protections they have on the job now go away. They would still get due process, but some of the protections they have now like the requirement for progressive discipline would no longer apply.)
There is no one set acceptable pay as a police officer in NYC would require more than one in a small town but again, I am not against that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies