Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:39 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You missed the who point. Google campaign zero and it will lead you to the website.
"Changing laws is the best way to put an end to Police misconduct."

Which laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
"Changing laws is the best way to put an end to Police misconduct."

Which laws?

Let's end the drug war. Let people sell single cigarettes as part of that.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:31 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
New Black Panther Party | New Black Panther Party said all of that? I'm surprised... while I don't support them, I don't see what you said there.

I looked at the BLM site a while ago... funny thing is it says nothing about how they support black men in the families.

Sounds like you are making stuff up....
No I'm not. Check for yourself:

http://blacklivesmatter.com/herstory/

When she says that 1 million black people are locked in cages, it is evidence of state violence against black people. Give me a freaking break! There are probably some people who were wrongly convicted, but the overwhelming majority of those prisoners committed the crime for which they were inprisoned. The genocide of black people isn't being committed by the state.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

When she says that 1 million black people are locked in cages, it is evidence of state violence against black people. Give me a freaking break! There are probably some people who were wrongly convicted, but the overwhelming majority of those prisoners committed the crime for which they were inprisoned. The genocide of black people isn't being committed by the state.
Eric Garner was killed for being suspected of selling loose cigarettes on a street corner........yes, it's possible he was guilty of that "crime".

You don't see a problem here?

Old 07-24-2016, 04:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
why not just no cops in black neighbourhoods, at all.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Eric Garner was killed for being suspected of selling loose cigarettes on a street corner........yes, it's possible he was guilty of that "crime".

You don't see a problem here?
I absolutely see a problem with the way the police handled Eric Garner's case. But Eric Garner could have eliminated that possibility by complying with orders. I think the police should have got the knee off his neck when he started complaining about not being able to breathe. That was wrong, and I've always said so.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why not just no cops in black neighbourhoods, at all.
Because there are a lot of good people there who deserve protection.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:53 PM

391 posts, read 290,486 times
Quote:

So that entire paragraph and page, that is what you took from it? That is sad.

I understand what they are saying... they are saying black people are imprisoned at a higher rate than whites. Laws are changed to ensure this happens (crack vs. cocaine, for example - and other documented issues). If all things were equal, there would definitely be more whites in jail. They argue that blacks don't get the "breaks" that whites receive.

I actually agree with you... believe it or not. I say don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. If I'm speeding with 100 other people and the police officer pulls me over and gives me a ticket.... what do I say? Everyone else was doing it or why did you not give everyone else a ticket. No, I accept the ticket. I was speeding. Period.

While I agree with you, I also understand that we should look into some of the issues raised by the BLM movement. I think the way they are going about this is the wrong way... but I don't think it is something you can ignore.

I'm not going to discount them just because I think there is a better way (ie don't get in situations where you are doing crime).

Old 07-24-2016, 04:53 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let's end the drug war. Let people sell single cigarettes as part of that.
Selling single cigarettes is a public nuisance and often a tax dodge. Even if we ended the drug war (which we should for soft drugs) that should remain prohibited.*

*At least as done today. If retailers want to sell singles in their stores, with tax fully paid, then fine.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
I absolutely see a problem with the way the police handled Eric Garner's case. But Eric Garner could have eliminated that possibility by complying with orders.
No no no. We have to also stop the idea that people must simply submit to illegal searches and then complain later. It leads to this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...egal-body.html

Quote:
I think the police should have got the knee off his neck when he started complaining about not being able to breathe. That was wrong, and I've always said so.
No, they should have never touched him to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies