Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
So that entire paragraph and page, that is what you took from it? That is sad.

I understand what they are saying... they are saying black people are imprisoned at a higher rate than whites. Laws are changed to ensure this happens (crack vs. cocaine, for example - and other documented issues). If all things were equal, there would definitely be more whites in jail. They argue that blacks don't get the "breaks" that whites receive.

I actually agree with you... believe it or not. I say don't do the crime, if you can't do the time. If I'm speeding with 100 other people and the police officer pulls me over and gives me a ticket.... what do I say? Everyone else was doing it or why did you not give everyone else a ticket. No, I accept the ticket. I was speeding. Period.

While I agree with you, I also understand that we should look into some of the issues raised by the BLM movement. I think the way they are going about this is the wrong way... but I don't think it is something you can ignore.

I'm not going to discount them just because I think there is a better way (ie don't get in situations where you are doing crime).
I'm not discounting the idea that black people are inprisoned at higher rates, or that they have a disadvantage in the judicial system, which I think has a lot to do with poverty. I just dislike the idea that this group thinks it's a symbol of state violence when the vast majority are there because they committed a crime. If this group would do more to help black defendants get better legal representation, I would respect that.

I would also respect it more if they did more community outreach with the police to see if they could change the narrative. What these people in Kansas did was a very good start, and then the national organization disavowed it.

We have a civil rights activist in Houston named Quannell X, who was invited by the police to do a training exercise. He did this because he first represented a family of a man killed by the police in a domestic dispute. The guy's sister said her brother didn't deserve to be killed by the officer, and he was all over it until he talked to the girlfriend who told him the officer saved her life. When they came into her apartment, her boyfriend was sitting on top of her with a gun pointed at her head ready to shoot. The cop shot him before he could murder his girlfriend. He had the grace to go on tv and admit that he was wrong in this instance, and that the officer acted correctly. The Missouri City (Texas) police offered to do the training exercise, and afterwards he said he realized the value of compliance, and that he would advise people to comply and take any issues they had with treatment to court.

EFFECTIVE: Quannell X trains on police force-on-force, comes away enlightened | GunsSaveLife.com

Personally, I think more activists need to do ride-alongs and training exercises with police and see what is happening from their perspective. It would be great for both sides to start a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No no no. We have to also stop the idea that people must simply submit to illegal searches and then complain later. It leads to this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...egal-body.html

No, they should have never touched him to start with.
I disagree. If they are trying to arrest someone who refuses to comply, what are they supposed to do? You can't just say, alright then, I will just let you continue to break the law. That's stupid, and not what we pay police for. Their job is to enforce the law, period. People need to learn to comply, and to know you're rights when it comes to illegal searches.

But you can't even have that conversation with police if your immediate reaction is to be combative. Respectfully tell the police you know the law (and you should know the law). Tell them they cannot do this or that, that you know your rights, etc. Doing it respectfully from the outset actually works most of the time. If it doesn't work, then those cops are just a-holes and get their badge number. Alert the media. Do whatever you have to do to get attention to the bad cops. But you have to survive the encounter to do that.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:58 PM

932 posts, read 899,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I guess there was not enough throwing bricks at and shooting police officers for their liking.

those people are not BLM

Just because people protest dont mean they are BLM or apart of it

Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM

932 posts, read 899,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Another thread about Black people.

Changing laws is the best way to put an end to Police misconduct. Having cookouts are a waste of time and does nothing to change the current situation is basically what has been said.

Right and it says in the article why they dont support it, the cookout has nothing to do with their mission

A tweet from the D.C. chapter of BlackLivesMatter said the BBQ is not in line with the principals of the national organization. Cullors said the event in Wichita doesn't bring about change.

We don't sit on panels with law enforcement, and we don't have BBQ's or cookouts with law enforcement. We feel the best method at this point in history is by holding police accountable by organizing and advocating for police accountability," Collors said.

Do you guys get it now. Its a waste of time for them and their mission

Old 07-24-2016, 06:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I disagree. If they are trying to arrest someone who refuses to comply, what are they supposed to do?
It depends. If they have a legal right to arrest them they should arrest them. If not, they need to leave them alone.

Quote:
You can't just say, alright then, I will just let you continue to break the law. That's stupid, and not what we pay police for. Their job is to enforce the law, period. People need to learn to comply, and to know you're rights when it comes to illegal searches.
Why did the woman in the link get paid off? Because she had done NOTHING wrong and the police had no right let alone to touch her but to rape her? And yes, it was rape.

Quote:
But you can't even have that conversation with police if your immediate reaction is to be combative. Respectfully tell the police you know the law (and you should know the law). Tell them they cannot do this or that, that you know your rights, etc. Doing it respectfully from the outset actually works most of the time. If it doesn't work, then those cops are just a-holes and get their badge number. Alert the media. Do whatever you have to do to get attention to the bad cops. But you have to survive the encounter to do that.
Garner was not immediately combative. He rationally told them that they had no reason to search him. But at least you seemed to have understood that you do not have to relent to allowing the police to take away your rights when you have not broke any laws.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM

529 posts, read 369,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Another thread about Black people.

Changing laws is the best way to put an end to Police misconduct. Having cookouts are a waste of time and does nothing to change the current situation is basically what has been said.
Incorrect on all counts sir.

1) This is a thread about the organizational leaders of the group BLM. This organization does NOT include all black people and in fact in many of their protests they are a very diverse group of people from many different races and ethnicities.

2) Enforcing laws already on the books would be the logical first step. Not adding more laws to laws that are already not being enforced.

3) Community policing has been a proven asset, but has been sorely lacking for quite a long time.

One of the greatest things police can do in combating the fear (in some cases justifiable) of the people they are supposed to be serving and protecting is to build relationships with the very people in their community. When everyone has a more intimate knowledge of each other they are more likely to trust and less likely to fear (this goes for the police as well as the people).

Old 07-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
well, he has a point

Quote:
"We don't sit on panels with law enforcement, and we don't have BBQ's or cookouts with law enforcement. We feel the best method at this point in history is by holding police accountable by organizing and advocating for police accountability," Collors said.

The cookout doesnt actually bring about change. It is simple a feel good moment.

I remember when Attack on CHarlie Hebdo happened, and a few conservatives were brave enough to say

" No, President Obama shouldnt go , terrorist dont stop killing people because you hold hands and walk down a street"

Im not calling police officers terrorist, but logically, isnt he stating the same thing ????

Old 07-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It depends. If they have a legal right to arrest them they should arrest them. If not, they need to leave them alone.

Why did the woman in the link get paid off? Because she had done NOTHING wrong and the police had no right let alone to touch her but to rape her? And yes, it was rape.

Garner was not immediately combative. He rationally told them that they had no reason to search him. But at least you seemed to have understood that you do not have to relent to allowing the police to take away your rights when you have not broke any laws.
Oh, I understand alright. There are some a-hole cops out there. I just think about this recent video I watched of a police encounter in Sweeney, TX, where the guy refused orders, tried to sick his dog on them, admitted that he hit his girlfriend, and still refused orders from the police after they were trying to de-escalate the situation. And still people were saying the police acted wrongly in using a taser on him. Comply with orders. It's not hard. He escalated the situation to the point where he was arrested.

And all came out of that situation alive. I know the female officer would have behaved differently if she had been in a large city. I doubt she would have let him go into his house. But it seemed like the officers knew the guy or knew of him because the one officer called him Floyd (others thought he said boy in a racial way, but it was definitely Floyd).

https://www.facebook.com/sweenypolic...1438803716191/

Last edited by katygirl68; 07-24-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
well, he has a point

The cookout doesnt actually bring about change. It is simple a feel good moment.

I remember when Attack on CHarlie Hebdo happened, and a few conservatives were brave enough to say

" No, President Obama shouldnt go , terrorist dont stop killing people because you hold hands and walk down a street"

Im not calling police officers terrorist, but logically, isnt he stating the same thing ????
Did you just compare police to ISIS? That's bull****! No, Muslim extremists would not respond to a kumbaya moment, but police here are different. They aren't a group of people committed to killing people for apostasy, or for holy war. They are people doing a dangerous job to enforce the rule of law and protect and serve. Knowing the people they serve on a more personal level would encourage them to de-escalate situations more and would encourage the people they are arresting to trust them more. It's a win-win if you ask me. It certainly cannot hurt the situation.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Right and it says in the article why they dont support it, the cookout has nothing to do with their mission

A tweet from the D.C. chapter of BlackLivesMatter said the BBQ is not in line with the principals of the national organization. Cullors said the event in Wichita doesn't bring about change.

We don't sit on panels with law enforcement, and we don't have BBQ's or cookouts with law enforcement. We feel the best method at this point in history is by holding police accountable by organizing and advocating for police accountability," Collors said.

Do you guys get it now. Its a waste of time for them and their mission
What it comes down to is that they don't want "solutions". They don't want to reduce crime in their neighborhoods, they don't want black people to not be killed (either by cops or other black (or white/asian/etc) people). The last thing they want is peaceful relationships between police and the black community. They ONLY remain relevant by playing the professional victims, suckering ignorant people into following their violent little movement and donating to them. If there is peace and good relations between the police and civilians, they have no reason to exist. No different than Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackass or Barack Obama. They make a living as race baiters. Hence the desire to derail this effort.

BLM-the Klan with a Tan. Another group of race-baiting a-holes pandering to ignorant fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies