Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
None of what you stated happens if not for the city missing out on a dollar or two in taxes and instructing the force to crack down on it.

He died because the city could not stand the idea of someone not paying the proper tax on a cigarette.

If I use a banned procedure at work and someone is killed, I don't have to wonder what would happen to my job. I would be fired in a second. Not so if you are a NYC police officer going after a few weeks extra cents in taxes.
He died because HE let himself overweight and HE refused to follow officers directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Then you haven't been paying attention.

Great! Educate me. Please cite the legislation you're talking about. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
None of what you stated happens if not for the city missing out on a dollar or two in taxes and instructing the force to crack down on it.

He died because the city could not stand the idea of someone not paying the proper tax on a cigarette.

Is selling loose cigarettes against the law in NY? Saying it "shouldn't be" illegal is beside the point.

Quote:
If I use a banned procedure at work and someone is killed, I don't have to wonder what would happen to my job. I would be fired in a second. Not so if you are a NYC police officer going after a few weeks extra cents in taxes.

Garner was still alive after they stopped employing the choke hold. THAT is not what killed him, in and of itself. It was certainly a contributing factor, as was other non-banned actions the police took in arresting him, Garner's health issues played a part, as well.

There was a Grand Jury hearing AND a DOJ investigation over the incident. That IS being held accountable for your actions.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
He wasn't doing so. He was simply recognized as someone who had done so in the past. The police were called over a fight.

It is NOT against the law to resist an illegal search.

So, if the cops come up and ask me if I've been breaking the law and I say "Nope, officers, I sure haven't." that should be the end of it?

According to the Times, the police were responding to a 311 complaint:

The spot where officers approached Mr. Garner on July 17 had already that year been the site of at least 98 arrests, 100 criminal court summonses, 646 calls to 911 and nine complaints to 311.

Among the most consequential of those complaints appeared to come from Mr. Gjeshbitraj, 47. He said in a recent interview that he complained only after physically fighting with the men on the block who sold drugs. The cigarette sellers, he said, provided cover for more illicit activities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/ny...land.html?_r=0

Quote:
Both were the results of illegal searches.

Evidently a Staten Island grand jury AND the Dept of Justice disagree with you, regarding Mr. Garner. Further, I believe they were attempting to detain/arrest Garner, not simply search him, according to the reports I've read.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
He died because HE let himself overweight and HE refused to follow officers directions.
He was under NO obligation to follow their directions.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Great! Educate me. Please cite the legislation you're talking about. Thanks.
I don't play these stupid games. The police are not held accountable to the same laws as the people are.

If I illegally forcibly restrain someone and insert something forcibly into a body cavity I'm going to prison.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Is selling loose cigarettes against the law in NY? Saying it "shouldn't be" illegal is beside the point.
That isn't what I said.

Quote:
Garner was still alive after they stopped employing the choke hold. THAT is not what killed him, in and of itself. It was certainly a contributing factor, as was other non-banned actions the police took in arresting him, Garner's health issues played a part, as well.
I am going to prison if I am a contributing factor in someones death.

Quote:
There was a Grand Jury hearing AND a DOJ investigation over the incident. That IS being held accountable for your actions.
These dog and pony shows have to stop. There has to be representation of both sides made available. Not just law enforcement side.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
So, if the cops come up and ask me if I've been breaking the law and I say "Nope, officers, I sure haven't." that should be the end of it?
Barring any evidence to the contrary yes, that should be the end of it.

Quote:
According to the Times, the police were responding to a 311 complaint:
Over a fight. I already covered the problems with grand juries.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:33 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I wouldn't either.

I'd be damned if I were to go "picnic" with an organization that includes members who have been murdering my family, and sit there passively discussing how we can all "get along" better while they continue to shield the perpetrators and smile in my face. Especially when someone there may have fresh blood on his hands.

If the cops want to have the air cleared, they can start by ceasing the murders and cover-ups, investigating the old complains of violence and police brutality and getting rid of those who's actions show a pattern of abuse or violence.

This is not a social issue that calls for a meet and greet. This is a criminal issue that calls for investigation, court rooms, and findings of fact - followed up by prison sentences.

After that, we can talk about a get-together. But this publicity stunt is NOT the right first move.
Has this particular police force been murdering anyone?

That is the only relevant question here.

If they have then sure you have a point, but just as it is asinine to say "blacks are all thugs" it is equally asinine to say "well the Ferguson PD were crooked, so I am not going to accept this first step attempt by the Wichita police department".

If this particular PD has no record of murdering anyone (Do they? I can't recall them being in the news.) then it is definitely a GREAT idea and a GREAT first step.

It is counter-productive for the BLM "leaders" to say anything negative about it whatsoever.

Again if this was the Ferguson PD or the Minneapolis PD, then sure, they need to do something a bit stronger BEFORE they can call a BBQ a first step, I don't believe that is the case here though.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I don't play these stupid games. The police are not held accountable to the same laws as the people are.

If I illegally forcibly restrain someone and insert something forcibly into a body cavity I'm going to prison.

Got it, you can't produce the legislation. It's OK.

If you break the law you go to prison, if they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are criminally liable. Same thing for police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies