Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why would you bother to argue with someone like that?

And you said earlier they would "get hurt".

You would physically attack someone over words?
You can "hurt" someone with your own words and not always physical attack.

I have been called racist names plenty of times (I am a black woman) but I have never physically attacked people. I have attempted to shame them though and for people who do it to me via social media, especially via an instant message of some sort, I will snap a picture of it and post it publically and shame them. IMO that "hurts" them more than if I were to physically attack.

When I have been called racist names in person, by either customers/clients or co-workers (for me it has always happened via my work, I have worked a lot with the public), I will confront whatever stupid, racist thing they say in a very calm fashion. For co-workers, I let them know that whatever they said was racist/prejudice and I will file a complaint against them. For customers/clients, I informed managers that I would not assist that client again and when I served as a manager, I politely threatened the client/customer with no longer being able to utilize our products/services. I also would express dis-satisfaction with the fact that they so easily stooped to racist language when usually these things occurred because of the mistakes/irresponsibility of the client/customer and we had had a decent relationship before that occurred. Practically everyone I spoke to about this, I do think I shamed them and it caused them to be "hurt."

Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM

On being PC, I do think it is a conservative/Republican topic of the day. I think I am pretty not PC in general but I am respectful of others and I see no need to disparage anyone or group of people unless a specific person or group has done something to me on a personal level.

IMO many times when someone complains about our PC society they are just mad that they will be shamed, like I stated earlier, when they call someone a n*gg** or speak about someone's sexual orientation, etc.

They want to be able to openly denigrate people and for everyone else not to care that they are denigrating others. They also want society in general to support them in their denigration of others.

IMO everyone (who is not disabled) is capable of disseminating their point of view in a cordial manner even when they are angry. Low blows - like racial or homophobic slurs are unnecessary. However, I will also state that I do think that some liberals especially do not want anyone to speak on anything that may be uncomfortable (i.e. PC). IMO it is important to be open minded and not try to force one's views on someone else and to respect rational, cordial people who have a different opinion versus yourself.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On being PC, I do think it is a conservative/Republican topic of the day. I think I am pretty not PC in general but I am respectful of others and I see no need to disparage anyone or group of people unless a specific person or group has done something to me on a personal level.

IMO many times when someone complains about our PC society they are just mad that they will be shamed, like I stated earlier, when they call someone a n*gg** or speak about someone's sexual orientation, etc.

They want to be able to openly denigrate people and for everyone else not to care that they are denigrating others. They also want society in general to support them in their denigration of others.

IMO everyone (who is not disabled) is capable of disseminating their point of view in a cordial manner even when they are angry. Low blows - like racial or homophobic slurs are unnecessary. However, I will also state that I do think that some liberals especially do not want anyone to speak on anything that may be uncomfortable (i.e. PC). IMO it is important to be open minded and not try to force one's views on someone else and to respect rational, cordial people who have a different opinion versus yourself.

I tried to rep you but it appears I need to spread it around before giving it to you again. Very well spoken!

Sometimes it's better to educate people than to move quickly to blows. Our instinct may say attack, but our civility and our humanity should say to use logic.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
And again we find the small handful of posters who are quick to say things to white people like, 'You're not black and you don't speak for me, so keep your opinions to yourself about why I do what I do', but have no problem speaking for white people and discussing why we do what we do.

And I am NOT referring to residinghere.

Some people just cannot see the hypocrisy in themselves.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics
Telling the subjective truth is not politically correct, especially when it refers to certain "protected" groups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Who are you God? The truth ain't always the truth, more a matter of perspective with varying degrees of something that could have true elements, bits or pieces. Only truth I know is empirical science/formulas that have been proven after 1000s of experiments. Everything else is kind of what you want to believe is the truth...now, ain't that "truth' and whole truth.
Perhaps you missed the qualification on what kind of truth was not P.C.

SUBJECTIVE - Based on a given person's experience, understanding, and feelings; personal or individual.

If one's experience leads them to expect a certain ethnic minority to be shiftless, lazy, disrespectful, ignorant, uneducated, prone to criminal acts, argumentative, and disreputable, they are not to express those opinions lest they be attacked as RACISTS. Unfortunately, it is a cultural issue - not a racial issue.

The following illustrates the issue.
Before-It’s-Deleted Of The Day – Black & Blonde Media
“One of the most immediately striking things about my students was that they were loud. They had little conception of ordinary decorum. It was not unusual for five blacks to be screaming at me at once. Instead of calming down and waiting for a lull in the din to make their point — something that occurs to even the dimmest white students — blacks just tried to yell over each other.

It did no good to try to quiet them, and white women were particularly inept at trying. I sat in on one woman’s class as she begged the children to pipe down. They just yelled louder so their voices would carry over hers.

Many of my black students would repeat themselves over and over again — just louder. It was as if they suffered from Tourette syndrome. They seemed to have no conception of waiting for an appropriate time to say something.”
Some of the behavior alluded to by the teacher is demonstrated in this video:
Darien Long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tit2NonQ8AY

Note that both the woman and the mall cop repeat themselves over and over. It’s as if the first to stop talking, loses.

That kind of behavior is unpleasant no matter which race or subgroup is expressing it.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I notice when something racist is said on social media or it general by whites and it gets a lot of backlash, whites then talk about political correctness and not having freedom of speech.

Whites do make it seem like they're the only group "effected" by this so-called political correctness? Aren't non-whites affected by it as well?
Just remember.... The same people who are decrying "PC" culture, were very, very butthurt by Obama's "bitter clinger" comment.

Complaints about PC culture are from people who are mad that they can't be rude and ignorant without smarter people calling them out for that.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You can "hurt" someone with your own words and not always physical attack.

I have been called racist names plenty of times (I am a black woman) but I have never physically attacked people. I have attempted to shame them though and for people who do it to me via social media, especially via an instant message of some sort, I will snap a picture of it and post it publically and shame them. IMO that "hurts" them more than if I were to physically attack.

When I have been called racist names in person, by either customers/clients or co-workers (for me it has always happened via my work, I have worked a lot with the public), I will confront whatever stupid, racist thing they say in a very calm fashion. For co-workers, I let them know that whatever they said was racist/prejudice and I will file a complaint against them. For customers/clients, I informed managers that I would not assist that client again and when I served as a manager, I politely threatened the client/customer with no longer being able to utilize our products/services. I also would express dis-satisfaction with the fact that they so easily stooped to racist language when usually these things occurred because of the mistakes/irresponsibility of the client/customer and we had had a decent relationship before that occurred. Practically everyone I spoke to about this, I do think I shamed them and it caused them to be "hurt."
1. Physical force is only justified in self-defense.
2. "Shaming" people only goes so far in a statist world. You don't own your body or labor so while I applaud the notion of shaming it is really just hot air in your situation.

My stance is pretty simple:

Never initiate violence. Only shun when a cost benefit analysis yields an acceptable benefit, again, in a world where we don't own our body/labor these instances are rare.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Call it what you want but I won't allow someone to disrespect me. I'm a man that stands up for himself. The majority of black folks wont allow anyone to use a racial epithet towards them either without some type of verbal confrontation or altercation.. Indecent, dangerous or indifferent, this is the way it is and should be...

Turn the other cheek if you want to but that's not me...
On this, I wanted to ask if you have ever been called a racist name to your face.

I do think many black people feel that they will be extremely shocked and/or angered when it occurs, but I've known a lot of black friends/family and my spouse who have been called racist names who did not come back with those names with any sort of verbal or physical altercation.

Honestly, every time it has happened, it was actually kind of humorous to me because, as stated, it always would happen to me at work. I usually have to tell people things that upset them in some way, usually about money, a business owner getting a contract or having issues with a contract where they make a lot of money (and them potentially losing a contract and FWIW I have had a contractor physically attack a co-worker before over losing a contract due to their poor performance), or in an HR capacity while disciplining/terminating employees.

In practically all the circumstances, the people who called me racist names were being immature, whiny, cry babies and they wanted to hurt/anger me in some way so they hurled out a racist or sexist or a combination of racist, sexist insults to me. I honestly would just look at them like . And I'd tell them the business of the day and how they should be ashamed of themselves for stooping so low. Luckily most did apologize but I did make sure to never work with those people again or provide them a reference for other work. If they were a customer, I'd get rid of them if I could. No one wants to deal with immaturity.

I think a lot of black people think they'll get all upset when they're called a "n*gg**" but when it actually happens, you'd probably just look at that person like the childish, immature, fool they are and disassociate yourself with them.

FWIW, my own spouse is very black nationalistic minded for the people kind of tough guy and he also has been called racial names quite a few times in his life and only once did he get into a physical altercation over it and that was only because the guy who called him the name came at him with a bat and tried to hit him with it/fight him. The other times, also happened to him at work over some childish person's tantrum over their own irresponsibility and so he just professionally dismissed them like I do at my own job.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I notice when something racist is said on social media or it general by whites and it gets a lot of backlash, whites then talk about political correctness and not having freedom of speech.

Whites do make it seem like they're the only group "effected" by this so-called political correctness? Aren't non-whites affected by it as well?
If whites don't think about political correctness, they would be lynched by the liberal mobsters in no time.

One particular race can say any hateful and racist thing but get away with it while whites and Asians better keep their mouths shut and take it like a man.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
1. Physical force is only justified in self-defense.
2. "Shaming" people only goes so far in a statist world. You don't own your body or labor so while I applaud the notion of shaming it is really just hot air in your situation.

My stance is pretty simple:

Never initiate violence. Only shun when a cost benefit analysis yields an acceptable benefit, again, in a world where we don't own our body/labor these instances are rare.
On the bold, I don't think you get what I'm saying in regards to public shaming and especially not so in regards to public social media posts that can make people lose their jobs/reputation. That can "hurt" them more than any physical violence as it hurts their pockets.

In regards to me specifically, I work in a management position and make a lot of decisions for organizations that have millions of dollars in their budgets to extend with businesses. The majority of my racist language interactions at work have been with business owners who called me racially charged names or accused me of being a racist. Due to them doing that, I will tell them how unprofessional it is but also tell them that they will no longer be working with us and that will cause them to lose money and "hurt" their bottom line. So again, you can hurt without doing so physically. I also provide references for businesses, especially construction companies and some of those racially charged worded folks for some reason put me down as a reference for their work and I will usually tell any other company/organization that contacts me about the racially charged incidents, whereby they are further reduced in the eyes of new organizations/companies and they lose business.

So my situation is not "hot air." I hit people where it hurts. In their pockets. And FWIW, I don't care if you think I'm any racist or sexist stereotype, but if you do, you should be smart and keep it to yourself while you are in my presence.

On cost benefits analysis, I can always find another business that does what you (general you) do better than you do it for a cheaper price than you will do it for and I can professionally bad mouth you for years all the while you continue to lose business based on your choice of words in my presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies