Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Your rationale for your second sentence?

Present day supporters of the Lost Cause are akin to Confederate-Americans.

If you're interested, here is just some of the testamentary evidence:

The Confederate Cause in the Words of Its Leaders - The Atlantic
My second sentence simply means their detractors would be labeled racist, not PC.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My second sentence simply means their detractors would be labeled racist, not PC.
Race-based Slavery was the sine qua non cause of the American Civil War:

Quote:
Sine qua non (/ˌsaɪni kweɪ ˈnɒn/; Latin: [ˈsine kwaː ˈnoːn])[1] or condicio sine qua non (plural: condiciones sine quibus non) is an indispensable and essential action, condition, or ingredient. It was originally a Latin legal term for "[a condition] without which it could not be", or "but for..." or "without which [there is] nothing".

"Sine qua non" causation is the formal terminology for "but-for" causation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_qua_non

Without which, there is no War.

The 'Lost Cause' was an attempt to revise history to be politically correct.

Present day proponents of the 'Lost Cause' are historically incorrect.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because White's designed and built the country into what it is today. We fought the wars to give the freedom. And we did silly little side jobs like discovering electricity, envisioning and building the Internet and putting MEN on the Moon. White men at that!

Now the idiots of society are trying to tell us what is proper speech.
Fought the wars?

LOL..don't make me laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh absolutely nono-whites are affected by PC.

case in point. Clarence Thomas
He had it coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Oh snap, so thats why so many people have dirty shoes... blacks are no longer willing to shine shoes like they use to.

As several posters have already suggested, your actions of violence over simple words and the fact you're a black man only reinforce a negative violent stereo type but you really could care less, which only goes to further stereo type black men in general.

Correct. We really could care less. I'm not falling for the okey doke that you're posting here that asserts that i should just take crap off of someone just so that i don't reinforce a negative stereotype. Frankly, i don't care about what white people think about black folks. Let 'em believe the stereotypes.

But the racial insults won't be tolerated. Believe that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Sounds like you're one of the guys that think someone being confronted about saying something racist is forcing them to be politically correct...
Correct. They can forget it. We're supposed to just lay down according to them like we were forced to do historically. Ain't gonna happen. Not anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Tell me,

What is it exactly that makes you feel justified in using physical violence, especially to the extent of " beating the dog****" out of someone, as an appropriate response to words?

Even offensive words?

Do you not realize that when you do this, you are only propagating stereotypes that people have about you?

Why do you let what someone says have that much power over you?
Then the stereotype just has to get propagated then. Too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There have always been words that are labeled fighting words. Calling people by an ethnic slur will likely result in a physical confrontation.
Finally, some common sense.

It's as if they think that black people invented the concept of fighting words. LOL..it's laughable.

White folks have had fighting words for centuries. Hell, they used to duel and take lives for insults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
When you decide to stop hearing racist comments, you are essentially cutting a link from the chain which in turn stops the reaction.
That's a decision that i'm not at liberty to make. And even if i could make it, i wouldn't. People must be held accountable for what they say.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
A better question is why are liberals so obsessed with treating minorities as if they're so completely weak they can't even handle a remark that may be considered offensive.
What in the hell are you talking about? If someone says something disrespectful to a minority (just like any other group) your ignorant butt will be called out at a minimum... By that person or group..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
A better question is why are liberals so obsessed with treating minorities as if they're so completely weak they can't even handle a remark that may be considered offensive.
& why is that a better question than the OP? Why do whites talk about political correctness a lot?

Your question makes very little or no sense. It sortof sounds like you can't handle the question posed in the OP. C'mon already, are you that sensitive?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I notice when something racist is said on social media or it general by whites and it gets a lot of backlash, whites then talk about political correctness and not having freedom of speech.

Whites do make it seem like they're the only group "effected" by this so-called political correctness? Aren't non-whites affected by it as well?
I take exception to your race baiting premise. Political correctness gets in the of progress and interferes with National Security.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and the new PC police thinks everything is racist. It not just a white thing!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
As much as I like Morgan Freeman, he's an actor. His skill revolves around being charming and brainwashing people into believing he's smarter than he is. Every instinct I have says "Listen to Morgan Freeman! Morgan Freeman is your leader!"

However, the part of Black History Month that is Morgan Freeman's history is just the most recent tip of the iceberg. It's mostly no more his history than it is mine. It's his ancestor's history.

I want to make sure people remember black history. The only change I'd like to make to it is maybe add a Native American history moth, or because that would be confusing, perhaps split black history month and make half of it Native American history month. That's another people this county screwed into the ground that I want remembered for all time.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
What in the hell are you talking about? If someone says something disrespectful to a minority (just like any other group) your ignorant butt will be called out at a minimum... By that person or group..
When you mentioned racist comment...there's no way I'm going to disapprove of you telling that person they're slime, spreading the word that they're slime, refusing to associate with that person, etc.

Regarding hitting someone, if someone calls you "You dirty (insert ethnic slur here)" I'm going to generally be pretty sympathetic to that, so long as they survive and their injuries aren't too extreme.

However, you mentioned Nazism too.

I don't like the dictionary definition of racist. I like the dictionary definition of racism. The dictionary definition of racist just pretty much says that a person believes a race is inferior or that their race is superior. I see no problem with anyone believing their race is superior to mine or yours. I don't see why anyone should care. That's not a bad thing to believe a race can be inferior to other races. That's why I hate that definition.

The dictionary definition of racism also includes parts about hatred, intolerance and the belief that the inferior race should be dominated, or that someone has a right to be dominated because of their race.

I can believe my race is superior to another race and not be a bad person or anyone people of that race I believe is inferior has a reason to dislike. All I have to do to do that, is treat people of that race, and everyone else, as individuals, rather than think of them as members of that race, in most situations.

Neo Nazi views and white supremacist views I see as somewhere in the middle of the two. If they refer to someone, to their face, with a comment like "your mother is a lazy (insert ethnic slur here) I'll be sympathetic to hitting them, but they just say something like "Whites and blacks should not live together" I'm going to be less sympathetic. Also, really, there's a limited amount of violence I'll be sympathetic towards for even the "your mother is a lazy (insert ethnic slur here)," like not sending them to the hospital with a broken back.

So...I guess, hitting someone for racist comments could mean anything from you being slime and disapproving of free speech, to just being aggressive, and hopefully you don't take it to an extreme, I think.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I notice when something racist is said on social media or it general by whites and it gets a lot of backlash, whites then talk about political correctness and not having freedom of speech.

Whites do make it seem like they're the only group "effected" by this so-called political correctness? Aren't non-whites affected by it as well?
B/C it is used against us....
Blacks can say and call each other anything they want...but let a white do it and OMG!

PC is also used against our laws and what this country was built on, to excuse criminal behavior

PC is pathetic...yanno what, after the names, I've heard blacks call each other it's a joke....

People are way to angry, way to serious and quick to call each other names, like little 3rd graders....
and when a crime is committed it's ok, to do so...and the videos show, how these people resisted arrest...but that's ok?

In my opinion, in this day and age, there are way more blacks who are racist than whites.

And the Obamas have kept this alive.

I wake up everyday in the house that slaves built....well so has every other President....what's the big deal...slavery of the blacks is over, and if you don't think so, then your a slave of your own contempt.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
In your opinion.

I man that doesn't draw a line and stand for something is a man with questionable principles. So you're telling me that there is nothing that can be said that would force you to fight someone over it?

No one said that. If you threaten to harm me or my family you can guarantee it will be met with swift physical reaction. However, you can call me any name you please. The person saying it is looking for a reaction. For you to react physically is to play into their game.

It has nothing to do with morals or being PC, but more to do with using logic and common sense under pressure. If you cannot do that then you don't need to go out into society. I hear things frequently that anger me. But I (as well as you) get to choose the reaction to it. Often times the first reaction is a kneejerk and is often wrong. You need to weigh out the consequences of your future actions before following through with them.

As human beings we have the ability to think and to rationalize. You need to utilize that ability more or seek anger management. If you hit someone who called you a racist name what do you think really happens? Do you think they change? Absolutely not. You just proved the stereotype they already had in their head and made them even more racist before. By educating someone you stand a much better chance of getting that person to see the error in their ways and working towards real change.

Physical acts of violence should be the very last resort that you have after all other options are exhausted. That is what separates people from animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies