Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are all Cultures Equal?
Yes, things like slavery and unalienable rights are merely subjective and amoral, not inherently right or wrong 5 8.62%
No, cultures that propagate the violation of unalienable rights are inferior to those that don't. 53 91.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM

26,514 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
America is the most ethnocentric country in the world. We tend to think the way we do things is best, and everyone should do and believe things the way we do because our deeds and beliefs are the only "right" way to think and behave. Nonsense. Other cultures do things differently, and maybe even better. Who knows?
BOOM - You need to change your vote from yes to NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If they are not morally equal in a certain aspect, then one is inferior in that aspect.

You would literally argue that the US Culture has not improved since 1816 in most aspects and therefore 1816 US culture is not inferior to 2016 US culture in certain regards?

People who have lived in North Korea and were able to escape (defect) talk about how much better Western culture is due to freedoms to protect unalienable rights.

Not sure how you got the bold from my comments...

I believe US culture has evolved since 1816. All cultures change and evolve. However, I cannot say for certain that US culture is general today is "better" than it was in 1816.

The definition of what is moral and ethical today in our culture is different from what it was back then and again, there is no specific definition in regards to moral and ethics or culture or how to judge them.

In regards to your comments on rape, rape is a crime (in our society) and not a "culture."

Old 07-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure how you got the bold from my comments...

I believe US culture has evolved since 1816. All cultures change and evolve. However, I cannot say for certain that US culture is general today is "better" than it was in 1816.

The definition of what is moral and ethical today in our culture is different from what it was back then and again, there is no specific definition in regards to moral and ethics or culture or how to judge them.

In regards to your comments on rape, rape is a crime (in our society) and not a "culture."

Culture is defined as:

Quote:
: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.
: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)
Some cultures believe that rape is acceptable in certain regards and therefore legalize rape or excuse rapists.

American society once allowed husbands to rape their wives legally, due to the beliefs and customs of society (culture) - hence it wasn't illegal.

Isn't America today culturally superior in how wives are treated in 2016 compared to where we were in 1816? Wives can't be raped, due to cultural norms influencing laws and public opinion. This is an improvement - no?

If cultures are not superior or inferior, why try to change rape culture?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Weird poll with the qualifiers IMO. Why couldn't you just have a "yes" or "no" option...?

In regards to the question itself, no I don't think all cultures are "equal." However, I also do not believe any culture is superior to another. The judging of a particular culture is based on one's own culture so as an American, reared in American culture, I cannot possibly determine of say...Japanese culture is worse or better than my own as I have no intimate knowledge of Japanese culture to compare to my own and nothing to define what is "better" or "worse" from a cultural perspective.
I agree. The tendency is known as ethnocentrism. People use their own culture as the barometer with which to measure other cultures, believing theirs is right or better.

So the entire discussion becomes meaningless.

But it can be fun, so discuss away...lol.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Culture is defined as:

Some cultures believe that rape is acceptable in certain regards and therefore legalize rape or excuse rapists.

American society once allowed husbands to rape their wives legally, due to the beliefs and customs of society (culture) - hence it wasn't illegal.

Isn't America today culturally superior in how wives are treated in 2016 compared to where we were in 1816? Wives can't be raped, due to cultural norms influencing laws and public opinion. This is an improvement - no?

If cultures are not superior or inferior, why try to change rape culture?
As stated, rape is not a culture. In our society today, it is a crime. In a generic sense, it is actually an action. In the past it wasn't considered a crime to rape one's wife but rape has always been considered a crime in America. Our culture in regards to the crime of rape has changed and evolved.

Also, wives can still be raped. Just because something is a crime does not mean that it cannot or does not still happen. And what about all of the other non-criminally based cultural attributes of the early 1800s that are not prevalent in America 200 years later - focus on family, communal assistance, hard work, lack of overeating/obesity, more religious society, hardly any out of wedlock births, very high marriage rates, etc.

There was also less reported murders/violent crime in 1816 versus today. So do you think any American cultural attributes were better in 1816 than they are today? If so, then you cannot say that 1816 culture was inferior to 2016 American culture. Your view is based entirely on your existing in 2016 and it is not an objective view.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Once again. What are the unalienable rights?

Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
As stated, rape is not a culture.
Marital rape is a crime, because our society's beliefs and customs (aka culture) outlaws it.

Marital rape was once legal, because our society's beliefs and customs (aka culture) accepted marital rape.

Our culture was once fine with "a husband cannot be guilty of the rape of his wife because the wife "hath given up herself in this kind to her husband, which she cannot retract." Has our culture not improved in this regard because all 50 states have gotten rid of the marital rape exemption (by 1993) due to our society's changing beliefs and customs (aka culture)?

Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again. What are the unalienable rights?
For one, the right to the pursuit of happiness. And one thing that makes me happy is a cold beer. So any culture that tells me I can't drink a cold beer is inferior. I won't mention any names. But everyone knows which culture prohibits alcohol.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
For one, the right to the pursuit of happiness. And one thing that makes me happy is a cold beer. So any culture that tells me I can't drink a cold beer is inferior. I went mention any names. But everyone knows whish culture prohibits alcohol.
Different people interpret happiness differently.

Some believe having sharia law makes them happy.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Different people interpret happiness differently.

Some believe having sharia law makes them happy.
And I'm fine with that. But if their law conflicts with my rights then we have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies