Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are all Cultures Equal?
Yes, things like slavery and unalienable rights are merely subjective and amoral, not inherently right or wrong 5 8.62%
No, cultures that propagate the violation of unalienable rights are inferior to those that don't. 53 91.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times

Advertisements

"Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Overall, I agree with you, although I'm not sure I agree with what I bolded.

For example, Sudan and North Korea.

One thing I always try to remember is that in my time both visiting and living in Thailand, I remember that many Thais believed that theirs was the best country in the world. And, there are aspects of their culture that I think are preferable to culture in the United States, but also aspects of their culture that are clearly not preferable to culture in the United States. No country gets a gold star, at least from my perspective.
Honestly, I think you do agree with me based on your last paragraph above.

In regards to Sudan and N. Korea, I am not intimately knowledgeable about the culture of those nations. I do know that N. Korea is ruled by a dictator and that he alone does not represent their culture. I also know that Sudan has many different ethnic groups and even has many different religious groups and that they do not have one particular culture. This is the main reason why they have had strife over the years, due to warring cultural factions within their country.

On the Sudanese, I will state that I worked in housing some years ago and that we had some African immigrants, including Sudanese immigrants. The Sudanese were very warm people and they were Christians, which many in America prefer over Muslims. FWIW there are primarily Arab Muslims in Sudan and I was told by our Sudanese residents that the Muslims were trying to kill the black Christians in Sudan and that is what started the war in that nation - genocide. All Sudanese, even the Arab Muslim population do not agree with the genocide of the black Christians there. But all in all, the Sudanese I knew and know were wonderful people and had a very interesting, rich culture IMO and they as a group, I didn't feel were inferior to my own culture as an American.

N. Koreans, used to be united with S. Koreans not too long ago. Both North and South have similar cultural attributes and many Americans its seems view Asian cultures as superior in one way or another, including S. Koreans who have high educational achievement and close familial ties here in America and in S. Korea. So how can you say that N. Korean culture is inferior? I think it is only because the people are ruled by a tyrant that you have this view.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
In an ideal world, people subscribe to certain culture to live together and try their best not to impose their view upon others.

For example, people who want to kill gays should move to Country X while people who want to walk around with their breasts hanging out and have freedom to abortion to go to Country Y. Neither people in Country X nor Y should try to impose their views outside of their borders.

Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

P.S., I thought we have the right to freedom of speech and apparently the word "t!ts" is censored. If a right can be taken away, it is no right at all - it's a privilege.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I thought we have the right to freedom of speech and apparently the word "t!ts" is censored. If a right can be taken away, it is no right at all - it's a privilege.
There are limits to free speech. I own CNN and deliberately and knowingly run false stories to slander you, you can sue for damages and win.

Additionally, this is a privately owned website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
First of all, we do NOT have any unalienable rights. None whatsoever. Let's stop saying that.
Yes we do have unalienable rights. Our country is founded on that principle, which is why it is a crime to take someone's life from them due to them being gay.

Quote:
I think this is the problem with your posts here. You want to define what culture is very narrowly, and only as what you see as the bit things.
No. I am defining culture by its very dictionary definition:

Quote:
: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.
: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)
If a society has beliefs and customs that propagate the legal killing of gays for being gay, then I say that culture needs to change in that aspect. And on that aspect, that culture is inferior to cultures that protect the life of gays and value them as equal citizens.

Quote:
If you want to argue about whether the killing of gays is right or wrong, that's fine. Do not attempt, however, to define a whole culture by that one ingredient.
I am not defining an entire culture by that. Why would I judge their food by that?

I am saying that I refuse to negotiate on the morality of killing gays for being gay. It is wrong period. It is not subjective and open to interpretation - a culture might brainwash someone into thinking it is moral, but it is always immoral.

Killing gays or not is a part of one's culture. If you agree with me that killing gays for being gay is always immoral, than that culture is propagating immoral behavior and needs to change, because it is inferior in that aspect.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
There's absolutely some grey area, but some cultures are worst.

In Afghanistan, there's a practice where they dress up little boys as girls, have them dance, and then grown men have sex with them. This is a practice many higher ranking Afghani men take part in. US soldiers were instructed not to interfere when our Afghan allies had been bring in young boys to have sex with. The reason they were given was that it was an important part of their culture.

Some cultures are worse. As I said, there is grey area. Some cultures might be better in one area, but worse in another. But overall, some cultures are worse. They treat people poorly, are violent, and are dangerous to outsiders. These make a culture worse.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

In Afghanistan, there's a practice where they dress up little boys as girls, have them dance, and then grown men have sex with them. This is a practice many higher ranking Afghani men take part in. US soldiers were instructed not to interfere when our Afghan allies had been bring in young boys to have sex with. The reason they were given was that it was an important part of their culture.

Some cultures are worse. As I said, there is grey area. Some cultures might be better in one area, but worse in another. But overall, some cultures are worse. They treat people poorly, are violent, and are dangerous to outsiders. These make a culture worse.
I agree.

There are some on this board who will tell you that adult men raping little boys is amoral, neither right or wrong, but all about perspective. That I am not allowed to declare raping little boys universally a moral evil. I say civilized societies must declare such acts morally wrong and not open for negotiation.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
There are many things that are less acceptable to me than slavery which seems to be the start of this thread. I find murdering a baby who is totally innocent as a human can be to be a barbaric act. Yet the Democratic party prides itself in allowing women to choose to murder that baby. And someone who has been a Catholic missionary is running for the office of vice president in a party that has abortion as a right in its platform??

The only slavery I know about today is human trafficking and sex slaves.

Life isn't fair and never will be. The Bible teaches the slave owner to be good to their slaves and teaches the slave to be the best slave ever.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I agree.

There are some on this board who will tell you that adult men raping little boys is amoral, neither right or wrong, but all about perspective. That I am not allowed to declare raping little boys universally a moral evil. I say civilized societies must declare such acts morally wrong and not open for negotiation.
Again, please define "civilized." Well, you can't. You aren't qualified to do that.

Just because we have more firepower, it does NOT give us the right or qualification to define what civilized is.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

That only means you don't agree to their culture. It's neither good or bad, just different. It may be bad for you as an individual as you don't agree.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There are many things that are less acceptable to me than slavery which seems to be the start of this thread. I find murdering a baby who is totally innocent as a human can be to be a barbaric act. Yet the Democratic party prides itself in allowing women to choose to murder that baby. And someone who has been a Catholic missionary is running for the office of vice president in a party that has abortion as a right in its platform??

The only slavery I know about today is human trafficking and sex slaves.

Life isn't fair and never will be. The Bible teaches the slave owner to be good to their slaves and teaches the slave to be the best slave ever.
The bible also says stone all the gays and adulterous women.

Luckily few people give a crap about what the bible says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies