Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Isn't Obama kinda wrong to say "built by slaves" if free blacks, whites and immigrants also worked on it? I'm sure the design/blueprints were also made by whites.

Is it racist to point out the living conditions of slaves that worked on the White House?
In a word: no.

Your second point completely defies logic and suggests a misunderstanding of what "racism" even means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
In a word: no.
You're ok with not giving giving people credit for their work?

Quote:
Your second point completely defies logic and suggests a misunderstanding of what "racism" even means.
You must be looking at the early 1800s through 2016 eyes.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 PM

129 posts, read 164,539 times
In answer to the title of this thread..... A resounding YES. They don't teach you in public school HALF the truth and history about slavery or the Atlantic Slave Trade. It's just lightly touched upon.

I'm not shocked a lot of people don't even know the truth. I'm sure there are some people who think just like O'Reily smh...

Old 07-28-2016, 04:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I have no concept of the reality of slavery. I've never been a slave, just like most of the people in the US and this forum.
My great grandparents(or maybe great great) owned slaves and they were freed by the emancipation act, but I have no concept of the reality of owning slaves either.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
"I started giving quizzes to my juniors and seniors. I gave them a ten-question American history test… just to see where they are. The vast majority of my students - I’m talking nine out of ten, in every single class, for seven consecutive years – they have no idea that slavery existed anywhere in the world before the United States. Moses, Pharaoh, they know none of it. They’re 100% convinced that slavery is a uniquely American invention… How do you give an adequate view of history and culture to kids when that’s what they think of their own country – that America invented slavery? That’s all they know."

davidthompson: Elsewhere (208)

Old 07-28-2016, 05:16 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slavery never happened?

Heal doesn't mean forget. We aren't gonna forget. Ever.
That's fine, but lets make it clear that nobody you have known was a slave. You can carry it with you forever, and that is sad, but your choice.

I truly believe that if AA's would shun excuses, as many have, this racial tension would soften and, eventually, end.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
That's fine, but lets make it clear that nobody you have known was a slave. You can carry it with you forever, and that is sad, but your choice.

I truly believe that if AA's would shun excuses, as many have, this racial tension would soften and, eventually, end.
The burden of Slavery. White people continue to live in denial.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

Oh wow. Thanks for being so smart. I mean, after all, you're the only poster that knows that no one alive today knows a slave personally? You must have the IQ of Newton to have figured that out.

Hey look everybody, it's the smart guy!

LMAO @ "but let's make it clear that blah, blah, blah..."

As to your "racial tension" comment, that's all bull.

I don't feel any racial tensions. And those of you that do, go around looking for reasons to have racial tensions. You folks are the type that hate everyone regardless. So this patronizing nonsense about how it could end is all bunk. It will never end for folks like you.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He was trying to diminish the horror of slavery. That's not honest. It was partisanship, because he was trying to play down First Lady Obama's speech.
That I agree with. Well, the later anyway. It was pure partisanship and it was something he said purely because the wife of a wretched democrat made a comment. I don't think he set out to diminish how bad slavery was. He set out to go against Mrs. Obama. Because it's Fox.

As I said, it was a stupid thing for him to say since surely he's smart enough to know that people would use that quote to say he supports slavery or something, but I can't in all honesty support an argument saying he does. He dislikes Democrats and their spouses so he acts as a contrarian when they say something. That's about all O'Reilly good for (and to be fair, when pointed in the right direction, he can do some good; he's sort of like the Hulk).

Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 PM

788 posts, read 512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post
In answer to the title of this thread..... A resounding YES. They don't teach you in public school HALF the truth and history about slavery or the Atlantic Slave Trade. It's just lightly touched upon.

I'm not shocked a lot of people don't even know the truth. I'm sure there are some people who think just like O'Reily smh...
The sane ones among us don't give a rip about it. It is the past. People need to get over themselves, and ask themselves if they are better of as descendants of slaves brought to America, or slaves still in Africa. They were already slaves before they came here, and I don't think many would prefer to live in Africa as either the descendants of slaves or of free men. If so, book a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies