Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 12:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

I am reading a naval officer memoir whose father served the North in the Civil War although they were southern. A female slave stayed with the family after emancipation and became the nanny to the children, grandchildren into the 1890s. Eventually living with family in retirement when the children had grown. The amount of respect and awe by the children is noticeable in the memoirs as is the integration in the family by the adults.-although a barrier is there as would be expected in the Upstairs, Downstairs Victorian well to do family relations with their staff.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-14-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
HAHAHAH! The delusion is real! Look, stick to Asian history because speaking on anything else makes you sound quite stupid.
The 'Lost Cause' ahistorical revisions are re-visited with every Civil Rights movement, with the Lincoln-hating as icing on the violent/hate-filled 'cake'.

Let them eat their cake.

(although gotta be honest here, it sure is making me gag at the thought)

Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I am reading a naval officer memoir whose father served in the Civil War although they were southern. A female slave stayed with the family after emancipation and became the nanny to the children, grandchildren into the 1890s. Eventually living with family in retirement when the children had grown. The amount of respect and awe by the children is noticeable in the memoirs as is the integration in the family by the adults.-although a barrier is there as would be expected in the Upstairs, Downstairs Victorian well to do family relations with their staff.
Working as a Nanny or 'helper' was one of the most common occupations for Black women up until the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s & 60s. Memoirs similar to the one you mention always make me wonder about whether Nanny had a family of her own, & if so, if she would've preferred to spend time with her own family.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Working as a Nanny or 'helper' was one of the most common occupations for Black women up until the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s & 60s. Memoirs similar to the one you mention always make me wonder about whether Nanny had a family of her own, & if so, if she would've preferred to spend time with her own family.
good point. Of course, Economic necessity in an age of no secure retirement would affect priorities. Happens even today.

I recall another memoir of a plantation owning family whose ex-slaves stayed in the area but on their own plots nearby. The female ex-planter commented on how industrious the ex-slaves worked their own land. Never put that much effort when they were slaves. The tone was one of amazement.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-14-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 12:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
HAHAHAH! The delusion is real! Look, stick to Asian history because speaking on anything else makes you sound quite stupid.
So only a black person can be an expert on black history... you're the one coming across as stupid. Why don't you take an extended visit to the African continent, Rwanda might be a good first stop for you.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:02 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well IMO the black American slave had it better than the Dalits aka Untouchables in India. And a better quality of life than being back in Africa where their tribe was being bullied by other dominant tribes and being sold into slavery to European traders.

And had there not been the outlet to sell to slave traders... instead your male African ancesters would hacked to death with machetes and your women either brutalized or also killed.

Go study your history further back and even today's current events in Africa. Genocide is still being practised by warring African tribes. And machetes are still being used.

Your people got a free ride to America. Sorry about the slavery experience, but it's time to move forward. Right now it's only your black urban/gangsta culture holding your people back. And stop trying to make white people feel guilty.
The 1930s and 1940s saw the slave labour regimes of Nazi Germany and the Stalinist Soviet Union. More recent times have seen the textile sweat shops of Asia, the cocoa plantations of Africa and the brothels of Europe. The organisation, Anti-Slavery International estimates that 12 million people lived in conditions that resemble slavery in 2008.

Slavery is a borderless human right violation. I don't understand why a chinese-american like yourself can actually post the bolded.

Civil right leader like MLK fought for all human rights, not just black people. Who are "your people"? They are your brothers and sisters.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It may not reflect on southern church goers, but it certainly reflects on the church.
How so? Doesn't the church invite everyone to repent?

Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes there are. Those conservatives who want to go back to everything the Founding Fathers said and did a quarter of a millennium ago.
You have no proof of that, not that the truth matters to you. Just silly bantering in order to deflect.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:18 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
There is no living memory of slavery among Americans. When I was a kid in the 50's, teenager in the 60's, there were still a few people who remembered being slaves. They are all dead now. All that remains is history, grievance and handicap. A lot of the handicap comes from the grievance and a lot more of it comes from wrong-headed attempts to mollify the grievance.

The Dallas police chief that called on young blacks to become cops probably made the greatest contribution to civil rights, righting wrongs than any man has in many years. Yet he's already a footnote.

I see it in my own hometown: blacks being spectators in their own lives. On the sidelines. Teachers are white. Cops are white. Firemen are white. The mayor and all the city council are white.

But the city is black. A few pastors, heads of this or that charity are black. They're kept there to keeps thing quiet.

All blacks have to do to run this town is elect a black mayor and city council. Why don't they?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How so? Doesn't the church invite everyone to repent?
I don't know where the poster you responded to with the question was going to go with this, but I know where I will take it ...

The church be the Roman Catholic Church, until, Theologian Martin Luther forever changed Christianity when he began the Protestant Reformation in 16th-century Europe. (MLK, took his name, which is a mighty fine name)

He took the power away from the Priests and put it into the hands of God, where it belonged and they were none to happy with him over it.

Before Martin Luther, the Priest read the scriptures and told their parishioners what God would have them to do. Martin Luther challenged the Priest and their authority and nailed a sheet of paper with 95 theses on the university’s chapel door.

Does the church invite everyone to repent? Yes. However, if the Priest did not consider the act to be a sin, then the people need not repent for that act.
----------

In the years to come there will be a time when the war of 1861 will be the last thing on anyone's mind, as there will be something more pressing to replace it. There's a storm coming. I don't know when it will get here, but it is on its way, none-the-less ...

btw: (thinking about MLK) is it not strange that those in the history of our civilization, publicly speaking about love and unity, have been murdered ... ~ dubious ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies