Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 10:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Did you miss that DD was being insanely sarcastic?

BTW DD, the US government has replaced labor slavery with welfare slavery, one plantation for another. Yay
No, I was fully aware of Desert's position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have deleted my postings.....I am not going to argue, when most people just want to see things one way and not get past America has come alone way in moving ahead. That white, Asians and Native Americans were slaves, also.

Funny, that a person that you don't want associated with slavery is a "mulatto" but consider President Obama your first Black President. I am sure you see the irony. If one can't see advancement, one can NEVER get ahead.

They certainly joined up to help protect the property they owned.......or is this made up also?
Huh? on the bold....

Not sure what you are talking about. What person don't I want associated with slavery who is a mullatto?

And what does Obama have to do with that. Obama calls himself a "black" man. I didn't label him that. I personally think he is bi-racial/mixed (would be called a "mullatto" in the 1600s-early 1900s lol).

I have many ancestors who were labeled as a "mullatto" who were both free and enslaved and I have no reason to disassociate my mullatto ancestors with slavery.

However, I did also have free people of color who are my ancestors. They were also "mullatto" like I mentioned earlier. The one who fought in the Revolution was a mullatto. Prior to serving in the Revolution, he had to sue for his freedom because due to him being a mullatto indentured servant, his master, at the end of the indenture period, attempted to keep him as a servant/slave for life. So he sued based on being "born of a white woman." Due to this he was released of his indentured servitude for this particular master and he went on to join the military and serve in the revolution. He received a pension for his service along with a land grant like many Revolutionary veterans. So he, though he was a mullatto, was not a slave. This is due to the fact that his mother was white and he was a mullatto.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
" Are there really people in America who have no concept of the reality of slavery?"

Well, yes, there are.
But, before any hand-wringing gets done, I suggest a lot of learning about slavery in the world today, and the "reality" of black people being sold into slavery during the 1700s and 1800s, to include exactly WHO was doing the selling on the West Coast of Africa!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Did you miss that DD was being insanely sarcastic?

BTW DD, the US government has replaced labor slavery with welfare slavery, one plantation for another. Yay
This is just his new attack mode.......we all see through it.

What can we do? Most of us recognize it, what do you want from America?
Are they wanting $$$, pity, their own state? Then what should we do with those you don't consider real blacks?

Example; Our President, some don't consider him black this is a view of some black people, only by skin color......he happens to be half white or is this problem?

Now, if we put into perspective that white men raped black women and those children turned out black, not necessarily would they be considered ALL black.......so those children are sold into slavery being of mixed race.....kind of shoots a hole in the ONLY black slavery and gives a larger figure for blacks being slaves.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN fact many white folks form the south have a bit of black DNA. The masters mated with the slaves out of love and compassion.
LOL, many masters and especially the sons of masters and white employees of masters raped black woman and those women had children.

Many of the bi-racial children who were born later on if they were white enough did try to "pass" or they married other bi-racial people and had light skinned children. As the generations went on, those people would "pass" and become white. Many times in the south the "white folks" who have a "bit of black DNA" are progeny of people who society considered "black" but who chose to "pass" as white for better economic opportunities in life. I have a few family members who did this and in turn I have white cousins who only recently found out about their black side of the family due to DNA testing.

I recently watched a PBS program that featured one of the stars of the show "Modern Family" (Ty Burrell who plays Phil Dunphy) had a 3rd great grandmother who was bi-racial. She was the product of a rape and she moved to Oregon and had children with a white man. Through the generations they "became" white even though there was always rumors that he was part black that may or may not be true. He found out that they were via the show.

Ty Burrell Black Ancestry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So with this, if a child turned out white, but was part black, would that child be considered a black slave or white slave?

If the child turned out black would they be under the category of black slave or white slave?
Any child born to a slave mother was a slave no matter how they looked.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"

It was an institutution created by African and Arab slave traders that ended in the US 150 years ago.

Get over it.

If you want to understand how "badly" every decendent of a slave has been treated, compare your life to that of the average person in Africa. You should thank your lucky stars that your ancestors (despite the misery of slavery) are the reason that you have a free, comfortable life in the US.

Want to thank someone? Thank an Arab slave trader and put some flowers on the grave of a Union soldier.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slaves were treated very well in America. It's well known that slaveowners loved their slaves as if they were their own blood family. They would've never mistreated them.

Sure slaves wanted to be free, but white people knew what was better for black people than black people themselves. Blacks just didn't know how good they had it. Sure, they could beat you and sell away your family (something they did very often), but what's the big deal? Blacks got used to it anyway. Besides, the Bible told them that they were supposed to obey their master's orders.

And who are blacks to go against God, right? I think this is something that we can all agree with.
Let's not forget masters and their hired hands who had non consensual relations with their slaves and fathered children by their slaves as well as forcing non- conceptual relations between slaves to produce offspring slaves.

I have not read ahead on this thread. My gut says someone has or will attempt to rationalize slavery because some tribal leaders were complicit, some of the time.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh....again, you all with your internet revisionist history.

Indentured servitude was NOT slavery. As I have stated many times on this forum as well, the first Africans brought to Virginia also were not slaves, they were indentured servants. There is a huge distinction between being an indentured servant and a slave. A slave was a "servant for life." And indentured servant had an indentured period of which they were free to do whatever they wanted after their service period ended.

The first labor system in America in the 1600s was indeed indentured servitude. I, even though I am black have recently documented that I also have Scots Irish ancestry who were indentured servants in the 1600s in Virginia. They were not slaves. Ironically, it is funny to me that so many on the internet like to claim that their white ancestors were slaves yet there are actually documents that show that my own ancestors sued for their "freedom" due to the fact that they were the "mullatto" children of white indentured servants (white women). Due to this they could not be enslaved because being born of a white woman meant you could not be a slave.

FWIW white indentureds were treated badly. This was why they and the Africans and natives and even East Indians (they were also indentured servants in colonial America by way of the West Indies) banded together against the ruling classes of which you mentioned and most notably during Bacon's Rebellion. The result of these uprisings caused the system of chattel slavery dictated by skin color/African ancestry based on the maternal side, to be implemented in the US. The ruling elites were afraid of the united lower classes and indentured servants because they vastly outnumbered the ruling class in population size. Slavery and "black codes" and miscegenation laws (preventing of inter-racial relationships) was established in order to separate the masses and keep us disunited. Unfortunately, this is still going on to this day IMO whereas we argue over silly topics to keep us unfocused on the reality of what the ruling elite are doing to us today.

Slavery should not be a debatable thing. It occurred. Slavery was explicitly defined via black codes and laws passed in the colonial period to be specifically based on maternal African ancestry. Only people who had African ancestry in America post 1700 were slaves. Natives were slaves prior to this but early in VA in particular being born of a native after 1650 also meant that their descendants were not slaves. My ancestor who sued for his freedom due to being "born of a white woman" went on to marry a native, who was formerly a slave/servant. Their children in the 1700s and even grandchildren had to sue for their own freedom and they won due to their father being born of a white woman and their grandmother being a native.
You didn't even read my post . The white slave were slaves for life.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM

788 posts, read 512,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Isn't Obama kinda wrong to say "built by slaves" if free blacks, whites and immigrants also worked on it? I'm sure the design/blueprints were also made by whites.

Is it racist to point out the living conditions of slaves that worked on the White House?
Of course, but she is given a pass.

Also, slavery was one of the principle sources of motive power and labor throughout human history. The America-haters, such as the OP and MO act as if we invented it and were its sole practitioners, when, in fact, their ancestral hands are just as bloody as anyone's, perhaps even more so.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Any evidence they had a hand in the design of the White House? From what I can tell it was designed by James Hoban with inspiration from Roman, Greek, French architecture.

A more accurate statement would be "slave labor helped build the White House".
The statement was limited to "built the WH" and did not say exclusively.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies