Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, exactly, I'm not saying Ford's life is any less then anyone else's life, however, when does life in prison mean parole after 20, 30 years?
Evidently Squeaky can't get passed the mental evaluation to be paroled ... A Charlie Manson follower or should I say family member?
Hell I know idiots I grew up with that just did 8 years for taking someones life and get paroled...if you take a life you should pay by losing yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Unless one is a history major in college, it's not a significant part of a student's course of study. Universities may require a history class or two as part of Gen Ed requirements, but otherwise, that's about it. I took two classes prior to entering my degree-specific coursework: European history course and state history. Of them, I found the state history course more enjoyable, and I definitely retained more information from it. I still have the textbooks and refer to them frequently in my family history research. Nothing will firm up your knowledge of history more than studying your family's genealogy.
Geeze Louise, your taking this way over the top....ok, fine, your right...I was so wrong to expect any college student to actually know who Hinckley was...forgive me....my bad!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Unless one is a history major in college, it's not a significant part of a student's course of study. Universities may require a history class or two as part of Gen Ed requirements, but otherwise, that's about it. I took two classes prior to entering my degree-specific coursework: European history course and state history. Of them, I found the state history course more enjoyable, and I definitely retained more information from it. I still have the textbooks and refer to them frequently in my family history research. Nothing will firm up your knowledge of history more than studying your family's genealogy.
Geeze Louise, your taking this way over the top....ok, fine, your right...I was so wrong to expect any college student to actually know who Hinckley was...forgive me....my bad! now we're talking about our family's geneaolgy?????

Old 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm far from middle age. Even in high school, I read about history for fun and my knowledge of history informs my political understanding today.

But trivia is just that - trivia. Knowing Hinckley's name might win me some money off a drink tab during bar trivia, but it's not actually important, nor does it indicate any level of education or understanding.
Well then you have a good start, because it took until my late thirties for me, although it probably began a little prior to that with a series that aired on PBS called Connections with James Burke. That show lit a fire for history in me. I have my favorite era, but all of it interests me, and I make it a practice not to belittle other's knowledge, because it's a tremendously vast subject that would take many lifetimes of intense study to master.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Evidently Squeaky can't get passed the mental evaluation to be paroled ... A Charlie Manson follower or should I say family member?
Hell I know idiots I grew up with that just did 8 years for taking someones life and get paroled...if you take a life you should pay by losing yours.
yes, totally agree, thank you!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if our college grads actually know who John Hinckley is?

And I'm wondering why he has been released....?

Talk about what is wrong with this country? Pathetic...to set someone like this, scum who tried to murder one of our Presidents, and to turn him lose...pathetic...they ought to put the people in prison who decided to turn this animal lose...they are what is wrong with this country.

Our judicial system stinks....
What's wrong with this country is the ignoramuses that rant on MBs about "the uneducated" when they themselves don't even know what they're talking about.

Nana explained why he was released ... and actually, had to be released.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
It is supposed to mean exactly what it says....
Most college kids today, no nothing about Politics.....nothing, they don't even know what Independence Day is or means, or what we are celebrating...they aren't teaching them American history...period!

As a ninth grader I took the Assassination of JFK, very seriously...Then Bobby, the JFK...very seriously....

James Garfield...

calling me smarty pants is a personal attack...

much worse then you taking my post personal b/c your child is in high school and asked...I didn't mean you...or your child, I was talking about the children in college, and they are just that, children.
What does their knowing or not knowing about him have to do with his release?
Are we to infer that it is because they might not know who he is that he was released?

I don't know any high school or college aged kids that weren't taught American history.
If they weren't taught history in your school district, well, that's sounds like a personal problem and certainly not one that is applicable to that age group as a whole.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
The difference about murder and sentencing is cold blood in planned hot blooded is usually a crime of passion or spur of the moment insanity...liberals lawyers take the latter to the bank!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What does their knowing or not knowing about him have to do with his release?
Are we to infer that it is because they might not know who he is that he was released?

I don't know any high school or college aged kids that weren't taught American history.
If they weren't taught history in your school district, well, that's sounds like a personal problem and certainly not one that is applicable to that age group as a whole.
what it means is, in my mind, and my son and Daughter in laws trying to murder him was a paramount event...and I don't believe colleges are doing their jobs today, as far as teaching our kids about American History.

And no, we are not to infer that...

forget it, if you don't understand, please just forget it...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
yes, exactly, I'm not saying Ford's life is any less then anyone else's life, however, when does life in prison mean parole after 20, 30 years?
He was not sentenced to life in prison, he was found not guilty by reason of insanity. I mean, I may be an ignorant college educated liberal, but I wasn't even born then and I knew that.

Speaking of uneducated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies