Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,457,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, I'd say that many people do associate that flag with racism, so if a cop is supposed to serve everyone equally, then flying this flag is a problem.

And this is no different than posting something stupid on social media. Your lawn may not be public property, but just like FB and Twitter, it's out there for everyone to see.

Some of you are stuck on free speech and rights. Yes, you have the right to fly whatever you'd like on your property. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences for it, given the type of work you do.
It never ends though.

We went over this in the other thread.

None of us can predict how someone is going to interpret a word, an action, a symbol, etc. on any given day.

I would rather simply ignore everything except force initiation instead of artificially giving a certain group the power to decide the meaning of what you thought, said, displayed on a specific day and what should be done to you about it. But that is what has happened and it is why we now have certain words, actions, and symbols that are completely void of meaning (The N word is absolutely meaningless now).

It's exhausting. No rationale human, regardless of "race"/gender/religion/whatever has the mental capacity to keep tabs on what is going to be ok on a certain day in a certain context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,570,804 times
displaying this on Gov't buildings is OK though?

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ille-city-hall

even though the movement has incited hatred against cops resulting in many shooting incidents and deaths?

Old 07-28-2016, 03:02 PM

25,915 posts, read 16,640,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In the investigation, he found Cotriss told investigators that, “she didn't see anything wrong with it" and “was unaware the flag had been adopted by neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups."

and police are just not trained in these matters
If they drive Ford Pick Ups should I get fired from my job for driving a Ford?

Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,700,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
If it was an ISIS or any other Jihad flag, Islamophilic Democrats would fight for her right to wave the flag.
That is patently untrue and you know it.

You keep bringing a bigger shovel to the P&OC forum to shovel your Bovine deposits.

Someday you and I may have a meaningful discussion if you leave your shovel at the door. FYI: I believe that if the story is actually true on face value, I disagree with her being fired over a rebel flag and I'm voting Democrat across the board this year.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,793,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of you are stuck on free speech and rights. Yes, you have the right to fly whatever you'd like on your property. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences for it, given the type of work you do.
What makes it complicated is that the consequences are being imposed by the government, which the 1st amendment does protect against.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,700,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Guess someone hasn't been beaten over the head with the anti southern garbage spewed out over the airwaves since the Dukes of Hazard went off the air.
Being anti confederate flag is not being anti southern. It is being anti seditionist. It is also now the standard adopted by white supremacist groups and Nazis.
You managed to type a complete sentence so you should be able to discern the difference.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,722,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It never ends though.

We went over this in the other thread.

None of us can predict how someone is going to interpret a word, an action, a symbol, etc. on any given day.

I would rather simply ignore everything except force initiation instead of artificially giving a certain group the power to decide the meaning of what you thought, said, displayed on a specific day and what should be done to you about it. But that is what has happened and it is why we now have certain words, actions, and symbols that are completely void of meaning (The N word is absolutely meaningless now).

It's exhausting. No rationale human, regardless of "race"/gender/religion/whatever has the mental capacity to keep tabs on what is going to be ok on a certain day in a certain context.

It's really not that hard. It's not. Anything that has to do with race or anything controversial surrounding race is off limits.

I have to agree with El Nox and what he posted in another thread which is that the BLM coordinators at the DNC should also be fired for telling the media, "Blacks in the front, white reporters, get all the way in the back."

It's part of the double standard many have posted about.

It's black privilege.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:29 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,157,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Shouldn't you be on your way down to Georgia to punch him in the gut?
No, why would I do that?

Old 07-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
A rainbow flag would be ok, right?
A rainbow flag isn't a symbol of hate, is it..

Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
even if something is adopted by a hate group, unless it's illegal or she was told it was, I don't see how they had the right to fire her. I hope she sues.

this PC BS has gone too far.
There's another active thread right now where many of us are discussing being politically correct. I think this falls more in line with not having common sense. If the LEO didn't have their police cruiser parked next to the flag it probably would have never gotten to this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies