Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

My school system in the reddest of the red part of Georgia did away with the bulk of our vocational classes in the public school system. While I got an excellent college prep education that allowed me to graduate from high school nearly fluent in a 2nd language and with a pile of top score AP exams that allowed me to pass out of many first year college classes, it put people who would have preferred a vocational track at a severe disadvantage. Not to mention that they did away with the automotive program the year before I got to high school in the early 2000s so there was no option for me, even as someone bound for college, to learn that skill. Is the nonexistent left in this scenario to blame?

Please don't make this into a left-right issue. It's not. The issue is that once upon a time a high school grad could get an entry level job in an office and work their way up. In many parts of the country, your resume goes straight in the trash for those kinds of jobs without a college degree, whether or not you really need one.

And, as others point out, an apprenticeship is an education. I would like to see more support getting young people into these kinds of programs if that is what makes sense for them. College doesn't make sense for everyone. And no one would have wanted me working on their car engine or with access to welding equipment.

I have a lot of respect for those trained in trades. My brain does not work that way and I have a lot of respect for it, and I'm as left as they come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Straight out of Clinton's acceptance speech:
Quote:
And here's something we don't say often enough: College is crucial, but a four-year degree should not be the only path to a good job.

We're going to help more people learn a skill or practice a trade and make a good living doing it.
The left doesn't hate blue collar workers. It's just that unlike the habitual liars on the right, the left doesn't go around telling people their coal mining job or whatever other low-skill high-pay job they used to have is going to come back because the fact is that it's not.

What the left will do is try to help people get decent job training; the right will not. What the left will do is support workers' rights and decent pay; the right will not. What the left will do is support organized labor so workers also have a voice at the table; the right will not.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
The left does not hate them, they are just smart enough to realize that they don't need their rapidly shrinking pool of votes to win. It's the GOP stuck in 1980s 90% White America that still thinks blue collar workers are the key to victory.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

The left doesn't hate blue collar workers. It's just that unlike the habitual liars on the right, the left doesn't go around telling people their coal mining job or whatever other low-skill high-pay job they used to have is going to come back because the fact is that it's not.

What the left will do is try to help people get decent job training; the right will not. What the left will do is support workers' rights and decent pay; the right will not. What the left will do is support organized labor so workers also have a voice at the table; the right will not.
It the left was representing the interests of the blue collar workers, they wouldn't be voting for Trump.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Sure they do. The Left holds great disdain for the blue color working people of this country. Hillary has ignored these people up until the few lines you quoted in her nomination speech.

There is a thread started on CD almost every day about stupid Republicans, reiterating over and over that they are all a bunch of uneducated people because they don't have college degrees. The press also has jumped on that narrative. Nearly every article in the mainstream press points out in almost every poll the dumb ol', non-college graduate Republicans are supporting Trump while the smart college graduates are supporting Hillary.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:49 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why does the right hate educated people?
Yea, I have 3 degrees including PhD, and to the right. All of my educated friends are too the right....so, pretty silly statement

Old 07-31-2016, 08:49 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,327 times
No need to politicize helping people. It boils down to helping people and business, unfortunately business has the upper hand to the extent people get unethically shafted

Poor people of western European descent aren't the only people who may not be well educated and manipulated for political gain

Old 07-31-2016, 08:58 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It the left was representing the interests of the blue collar workers, they wouldn't be voting for Trump.
Sure they would.

The left offers up real solutions to the plight of blue collar workers. It's not easy though.

The right lies to them and tells them they'll get their old jobs back (they won't) and gives them a list of groups of people to blame (Mexicans, Chinese, etc). That's a much easier sell. It requires no effort on the part of the individual - just hate all the right groups of people and magically your job will reappear.

If your job disappeared and one side told you the truth - that it's gone forever and you need to learn a new trade, but we'll help you out - and the other side told you they'll get your old job back with no effort on your part, obviously you'd be tempted by the zero effort promise.

The right wing thrives on selling people easy solutions that don't actually work.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
There is a thread started on CD almost every day about stupid Republicans, reiterating over and over that they are all a bunch of uneducated people because they don't have college degrees. The press also has jumped on that narrative. Nearly every article in the mainstream press points out in almost every poll the dumb ol', non-college graduate Republicans are supporting Trump while the smart college graduates are supporting Hillary.
In my experience, I've found that college-educated individuals who lean right tend to support libertarian principles/candidates. I think they're turned off by all of the social engineering/religious nonsense that modern mainstream Republican candidates pander to.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:08 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The left does not hate them, they are just smart enough to realize that they don't need their rapidly shrinking pool of votes to win. It's the GOP stuck in 1980s 90% White America that still thinks blue collar workers are the key to victory.
We aren't talking about race. Start your own thread if you wish to discuss race, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies