Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Apple's website doesn't list any Apple Stores in Ghana, so it's not an actual Apple Store.
This is the store:

Apple iShop | Shopping in East Airport, Accra

(The fact that TimeOut even makes a shopping, restaurant, and nightlife guide for Accra is telling in itself)

Perhaps it's not an official Apple store but it's an "authorized Apple retailer". Which might not be that special to us, but I think it's significant given where in the world this store is located. Also, the store itself is inside the Accra Mall which, as an FYI, looks like this:

https://youtu.be/SeGkndEAm4M

Ghana now has 8 malls like this that are "western" styled.

I'm not trying to oversell Accra's modernity but rather trying to dispel the idea that it's a complete "third world $hithole". It does indeed have many comforts that are familiar to westerners. The trick of course is having enough money to surround yourself with these comforts while at the same time shielding yourself from the inherent challenges of living in a developing country.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I just got back from Accra on Saturday.

I was born and raised in the US but my father is from there so I have a lot of family as well as some friends in Accra (the friends were raised in the US but moved back 3-5 years ago). The last time I was in Ghana was 20 years ago as a teen.

Here are some of my observations:

Infrastructure has improved considerably. Main roads and highways are well maintained but the side streets are still dirt roads and poorly maintained. The exception is in the ultra wealthy neighborhoods that are full of expats like Airport City. That area has million dollar estates (yes million USD). Driving around that area I don't think I encountered a single dirt road.

The traffic is a nightmare! There is no mass transportation. It can take you 3 hours to drive 15 miles!!! Yes there are taxis (but they are known to cheat you) and minivan busses called tro-tros (for the adventurous foreigners but widely used by locals) but car is really the only way to get around. Driving itself is very intimidating. While I'm an aggressive driver, I live/drive in NYC, I would not want to deal with Accra traffic. If I lived there is absolutely have a driver. One can hire a driver for about $100/month. That's what my friend's mom pays her guy.

Oh and while there are street names, it's a "new thing" so nobody goes by street names. With the exception of the main roads you literally have to give directions by noting landmarks like "turn right at the mango tree". I'm serious.

Several ultra wealthy areas are emerging in Accra. I mentioned Airport but also Labani, East Leagon, Cantonments. Labadi and East Leagon you'll find grand estates. In Airport and Cantonments you'll find estates and modern high rise apartments and condos that look like they'd fit in to NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, or London. These are exactly who the condos are appealing to: expats or others raised abroad. The prices are targeting them too. The cheapest condo you'll find is around $75,000 for a studio. The three bedroom condos are $300,000+. Still I've seen other condos listed for close to $1 million! A lot of foreign born/raised people (Ghanaian or otherwise) are pumping money into Accra's real estate market. There is a huge boom. Building of these condos are all over these trendy neighborhoods. I also saw several gated communities under construction in other neighborhoods. The communities are similar to the ones you find all over places like Virginia, North Carolina, etc.

No brown outs happened while I was in Accra. Electricity rationing is very common despite the fact that there is a huge hydroelectric dam north of the city! I've heard the theory as to why there is electricity rationing despite the dam having the capacity to power half of the country (the govt is selling the electricity to neighboring countries) but I don't know if that's no longer an issue or if there was less rationing because it's an election year in Ghana.

Shopping amenities are getting up to par with US standards. The supermarket Shoprite has several locations in Accra. There are also other familiar retail stores like Apple, and Nike in the malls. Accra now has a few "American style" shopping malls that are identical to what you'd find in the US.

There are also many hip and trendy bars, clubs and restaurants. My cousin was hell bent on showing me Accra night life and it was impressive. We went to four high end restaurants. By high end I mean high end by western standards. One club frequented by multinationals- and it was the type of club you'd find in any western city and one "locals" spot. The locals spot was outdoors and had a live band. Besides that, there are lists full of "what's hot" in Accra.

Bars in Accra
Music and nightlife in Accra | Time Out Accra
Restaurants and cafes in Accra | Time Out Accra

Ghana like most developing countries (hell even developed countries!!) has a problem with corruption. However I only encountered one instance of a police asking my cousin for money. This was at a traffic stop. He just said something to my cousin and made a hand gesture and my cousin already had money in his front pocket, just a few small bills probably the equivalent to $3, and gave it to the police and he waved us on.

Those are surface observations and based on those, it would appear to be great. I think the hard transition for anyone raised in the west is going to be one of culture. For example everyone speaks English but it would be in your best interest to learn Ga. Ga is a tonal language so it can be difficult to master. Twi is more widely spoken in Ghana, and easier to learn, but Accra is a Ga area and is the language spoken. As an aside, most people will speak 4-5 languages fluently which made me look like an idiot with my command of only English. Also west African culture is collective in nature. Western culture is individualistic. That doesn't sound too challenging but trust me it is! I've had so many clashes within my family because my concept of self is very different.
Thanks for sharing I have to get back there soon. Its been 2004 since I been to Accra.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Preferably, Accra, Ghana.

For the simple reason of: I'm tired of America,

1. I'm tired of Monsanto and the lack of organic food options.
2. I'm tired of thinking about race (if everyone was black it would never get brought up to me)
3. I'm tired of the lackluster nightlife. Clubs closing at 2-3 with no establishment for after parties.
4. I'm tired of the senseless laws, there are too many laws in America, I can't even sneeze without getting questioned. I've travelled and it's the LEAST free place I've ever lived in. I swear the government monitors your bank account and if they see you not spending money for a month, somehow, someway you get a $300 parking ticket or traffic violation.
5. Too empty. Where are all the people? Besides New York we have no mega city.
6. Individualistic, small families, too many people with mental health issues. I don't know why people can't just be happy here.
7. Awkward and uptight (probably comes from all our laws), have you spoken to a mainstream American?
8. I feel like 95 % of the people I meet are social constructions and they pride themselves on being like everyone else.
9. Never been a fan of the looks that the British, Nigerian, Mexican, Chinese or these admixtures of people have. From the European world, I like Spain and Portugal. From Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Ethiopia. Asia, s Korea, Cambodia, phillapines. Latin world, brazil and Columbia. Call me vain but it seems we in the US got all immigrants from unattractive countries.

Just giving my 2 cents.
I hear Somalia is nice this time of year.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies