Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:44 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times

Advertisements

18 U.S. Code § 700 says that desecration of the Flag of the United States carries penalties:

(1) Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.

However --

The United States Supreme Court in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990), has ruled that due to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, it is unconstitutional for a government (whether federal, state, or municipality) to prohibit the desecration of the flag.

FWIW, it bothers me to no end when I see these idiots desecrating our flag. Having the right to do it does not make it okay. The worst part is 90% of the time the protesters don't even know what they're protesting. They are nothing more than attention-seeking go-with-the-flow ignorant little millennial snowflakes that deserve a kick in the rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I support your right to do that under the !st Amendment but why do you lefties seem compelled to repeatedly play that card?

What's your point?

"Police say that a Clinton supporter lit a flag on fire near a group of Trump supporters and attacked a man near the Clinton-Kaine event downtown Saturday afternoon............Sturman crossed the street and walked into the middle of the group of Trump supporters........The Trump supporters attempted to put out the fire, which “enraged” Sturman. Sturman then threw a Trump supporter to the ground and attempted to jump on top of him. Bystanders alerted nearby officers, and police removed Sturman and placed him under detention........"

Yet another example of the totalitarian left.

Video included in the article.

Police: Clinton Supporter Lights Flag On Fire, Attacks Trump Supporter « CBS Pittsburgh
It's consistently been either Clinton or Sanders supporters that start these incidents and escalate them into violence, and yet the media is always discussing Trump supporters as if they are the people prone to violence.

The left is were the violent people reside. Whether it's another violent Occupy Wall Street rally, or BLM, or another Ferguson riot, it's always the left and democratic party voters.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Yo, Mr. Right, next time you see a hot babe in an American flag bikini remember what happens when she farts.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
18 U.S. Code § 700 says that desecration of the Flag of the United States carries penalties:

(1) Whoever knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon any flag of the United States shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both.

However --

The United States Supreme Court in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990), has ruled that due to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, it is unconstitutional for a government (whether federal, state, or municipality) to prohibit the desecration of the flag.

FWIW, it bothers me to no end when I see these idiots desecrating our flag. Having the right to do it does not make it okay. . . .

I agree. Its protected speech alright, even wearing a flag bikini and passing wind into it is protected speech. My problem with flag burning is that it distracts from the real issues and makes the flag burners and their antics the focus of attention.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I support people's right to burn the flag.

But, it's just so cliche. Be original.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I support people's right to burn the flag.

But, it's just so cliche. Be original.
Yeah, almost nobody raises the bar by wearing the flag when they set it on fire. Wussies.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am surprised they didn't burn one on the stage at RNC. Since they had nothing good to say about the US, they might as well burn the flag to put the exclamation point to it.

I believe they were in effort to put out the flag that is now burning.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is freedom of 'speech', I will note.

Anyway, so you are saying the Court was wrong in Citizens United?
I thought I made myself perfectly clear.

I do NOT agree with the SC decision.

There are MANY court decisions people disagree with.

Even later courts have CHANGED what earlier courts have ruled on, so it is nothing new.

Freedom of EXPRESSION is NOT, IMO, freedom of SPEECH.

Burning a flag is AN ACTION NOT SPEECH.

You may disagree and that is OK.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
The flag symbolizes the U.S. government or the establishment. By burning it, the globalist/collectivist far left burns a nationalist symbol. But its a good question OP -- the far right also stands against the government at times, but I don't get the impression that they try to get attention the same way.
"The flag symbolizes the U.S. government or the establishment."

I see you FAILED History in school.

Must have been a public one.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am surprised they didn't burn one on the stage at RNC. Since they had nothing good to say about the US, they might as well burn the flag to put the exclamation point to it.
You have selective hearingl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies