Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM

720 posts, read 806,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
You forget that the Right thinks government is too intrusive unless that government is backing one of their hobby horses. Then it's DEFENDING FREEDOM!!!!!!
~sigh~ Ain't that the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 PM

Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
PSST, this is NOT the first time.

You need to get your head out of the sand and look around more.
Please expand your thought a little more. What do you mean? What isn't the first time? What do you think he/she is missing?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb What's with the Left's US flag burning fetish?

Proper flag-burning protest procedure:

1. Drench flag in kerosene
2. Wrap flag tightly around self
3. Strike a match

Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Ironic and shameful

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I support your right to do that under the !st Amendment but why do you lefties seem compelled to repeatedly play that card?

What's your point?

"Police say that a Clinton supporter lit a flag on fire near a group of Trump supporters and attacked a man near the Clinton-Kaine event downtown Saturday afternoon............Sturman crossed the street and walked into the middle of the group of Trump supporters........The Trump supporters attempted to put out the fire, which “enraged” Sturman. Sturman then threw a Trump supporter to the ground and attempted to jump on top of him. Bystanders alerted nearby officers, and police removed Sturman and placed him under detention........"

Yet another example of the totalitarian left.

Video included in the article.

Police: Clinton Supporter Lights Flag On Fire, Attacks Trump Supporter « CBS Pittsburgh
The "totalitarian left"? Oh please, that's so Orwellian. Did anyone call for a totalitarian response anywhere in this story? The only lean toward totalitarianism I see are commenters advocating slaps, worse physical attacks, and laws against people like the flag burner in the story.

Oh the irony...Patriotic flag wavers advocating authoritarian responses to fellow citizens exercising their right to desecrate a symbol (which are made in China, by the way) and vilifying persons exercising the very protected rights they claim to love and take pride in.

Oh the irony in their claims that those who do not agree with them are the ones who do Not love our country and democracy and who do Not understand it.

I would never burn a flag, not any country's flag, and I see no value gained by doing so no matter how frustrated an individual protestor may be, but I will defend the right of my fellow citizens to do so regardless of how I feel about it, just like I will defend many other freedoms I have no use for but that are important to other Americans.

I will never defend, though, fellow citizens imposing authoritarian laws formed to protect only their viewpoint and values, and I will never defend the right to physically assault or physically interfere with those who do what they don't approve of or value.

Feeling offended is not an injury, folks. We have no legal right to freedom from ever being offended. Therefore, the appropriate response to a person doing something we find offensive, is to just ignore him or her. That's especially true if the offender is trying to get our attention. Why give it to him/her?

Regardless, though, of whether or not one chooses to ignore provocateurs merely to deprive them of a reaction, the appropriate response is still to just ignore them because it is mature and a demonstration of good citizenship.

Any American claiming to be a patriot who loves and takes pride in our country should be ashamed of advocating authoritarianism. Wanting the government to protect only our own values and rights to freedom of expression is Not being a good American. Neither is thinking one has the right to accost another citizen merely because one is offended by his or her actions. I mean, c'mon people, talk about hypocrisy!

Shameful.

Last edited by pgrdr; 08-02-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Default The Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Don't get me wrong, I support your right...."

I don't agree with the SC ruling.

The Constitution CLEARLY says "freedom of Speach" NOT freedom of ACTIONS.

A liberal court made the ruling and "CREATED" a new definition of "speech"

To address your post, Many liberals are too ignorant about what our country is and have NO pride in it.

NO country is perfect.

Hopefully, one day when they grow up they will have different view of America.
The Constitution of the United States of America was deliberately created by our founders to be a document open to interpretation and modified to expand, not to restrict, but to further expand rights as the generations pass and social evolution requires adjustments. That's why we could outlaw slavery, as only one example.

Anyone who does not know that is not as informed as he or she believes.

Last edited by pgrdr; 08-02-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Who is the hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think anyone who stomps on our flag or burns it is an idiot that has no respect for what that flag stands for and the countless people who have sacrificed for it. If you hate the country that much the borders are open and you can leave whenever you want just do us a favor and don't come back. .
The problem with the Love it or Leave it solution is that the United States is a representative democracy, and citizens have every right to work to make it better represent them and meet their needs, as long as they are not working to deny other citizens of the same.

In these United States of America, citizens do not have to leave their home and go elsewhere merely because they want to improve it. Agree with them or not, they believe they are working for improvements, and that is their American right to exercise.

The hypocrisy is in not wanting to allow them that constitutionally protected freedom, and instead, advocating to invite them to leave or boot them out of their own country.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM

Default So quick to jump to self-righteous advocacy of violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Government cannot punish them, but the people sure can. - The 1st amendment.

I give them 2 options. Leave the borders of our soil immediately, or die here on the spot where you waged war upon our nation. We The People have spoken.

Not this people.

But this member of the people will support the incarceration of anyone who engages in acts of violence against a fellow citizen exercising his or her civil rights.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 PM

Default Nailed the real crux of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Actually, the right wing and ISIS have the same goals. They both wish to drive a wedge between Islam and the rest of the world through fear. Your contribution has been noted. But, if you want to worry about a constitutionally protected action then have at it. Your displeasure with our Constitution is also noted.
Most excellent.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Many, many, many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
UMMM, you need to pay more attention many, many more than one. Plus, the left has a fetish for the Hammer and Sickle Flag........nothing compared to "Don't tread On Me Flag!".
How many? And where?

Please provide more substantive numbers than "many, many, many," and your sources.

Thank you.

P.S. The commenter meant one at that specific event, not only one, ever.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Default Europeans versus Ameicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If your own son steals money from your wallet, you are angry and have a problem.

If a stranger steals money from your wallet you're not going to say, "well, my own son has stolen more than this from me over the past year..." Most people will feel even more violated than where their own family does something wrong.

People will ALWAYS view external threats as a greater issue. In the case of Europe, there would be relative calm BUT FOR the criminality of the "migrants" from the Muslim world filling up European prisons and causing terror.
Considering Europeans have been dealing with terrorism far longer and at higher levels than has the United States, they are still quite calm about it compared to we hysterical Americans who see a terrorist behind every bush and rushed to throw away our civil rights in the name of safety the first time we were seriously shaken up.

Yes, there are rightwing loons in every country, but European governments still protect their citizens' rights better than our government has protected ours. They do so because Europeans aren't running around en masse freaking out and demanding complete safety from anything bad that could ever happen to us like the peeing in our pants Chicken Littles we Americans have proved ourselves to be.

Of course, in standard American fashion, our hysteria has financially benefited a few, which is why it is continually whipped up at the same time our government agencies tasked with "protecting us" keep dropping the ball despite already having all they needed to get it right even before 9/11. Fear equals profit, and that's what happens in a nation where profit is God.

The same applies to domestic "threats." The number of incarcerated Americans compared to 30 years, even 20 years ago, which is more than any other country on the planet, tells us Americans are just as terrified of our fellow citizens, regardless of how irrational it is. Yet, that fear enriches others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies