Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Know how you feel! Used to live near Baltimore in the suburbs. May have to move back there for family and job reasons, hopefully not as I love living in West Virginia. Now they want to force more Section 8 housing in Baltimore County to export the ghetto, and also to add Democrat voters to conservative suburban areas. Most Democrats I know are either themselves dependent on welfare, or are rich enough that they don't have to personally live near Section 8 renters, illegal immigrants, and ghetto people.

It's usually hardworking, blue collar communities that have to deal with a ghetto influx and the invasion of illegal aliens, and the crime, drugs, and simple lack of manners they bring. It doesn't even have to be hearing gunshots. It can be things like litter everywhere, graffiti on the walls, rap music blasting from boom boxes at all hours of the day and night and an overall culture of disrespect.
I knew I was leaving Chicago when I was in front of my house with my 7 year old son and a car drove by with a guy hanging out the window throwing up gang signs and yelling "cobra killers"... Then a month later someone was shot at the mall down the street. ( this was the suburbs )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Geez....FINALLY! Someone who actually knows and understand what city life is all about. Most posters just talk out of their asses.
I grew up there, worked much of my adult life there, and I do laugh at people when I hear them talk about high crime areas. They think it's like ISIS taking over a section of the city, just arbitrarily driving around shooting people. I have to explain that even where I grew up there were gangs that would go after one another, only guns usually weren't their weapon of choice back then. And we'd all scatter into our houses until the coast was clear. But it was still a neighborhood of families, with tons of kids having a good old time all summer long, and hoping for that snow day during the winter.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. Chicago has done a very good job of segregation over the years and keeping the poorer areas LITERALLY on the wrong side of the tracks behind fences or across 8-12 lanes of freeway.

This dates back to before MLK went to Chicago and sought an end to housing discrimination there.

He got run out of town by some guy....named Daley.

So for most people, Chicago is ridiculously safe. As previously noted in my posts Lincoln Park has a murder rate comparable to places like Switzerland. Neighborhoods just a few miles away however...are like a Mexican border cartel town.

Takes us back to the crux of the thread, whether the OP really knew it or not...they have a point. Chicago has the nice areas nice and the bad areas isolated. Works great for a lot of people....not so much for others.

Classic example of why BLM is doomed to fail. They've got months left at most, once the political season ends they're out on the trash heap as they'll no longer be useful.

If you're strictly talking about the murder rate, which has gone up considerably, most of Chicago is safe, but not completely.

But beyond that are muggings and attacks and those have gone up in numbers, too. Lakeview isn't as safe as it once was, for example. Neither is Wicker Park. So I wouldn't call it ridiculously safe. It's just that it's not as unsafe as outsiders might believe.

A lot of migration out of the city and state due to high taxes though. That trend isn't likely to end in the near future.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As opposed to Republicans who couldn't care less?
This. If Blacks don't care I don't care. Next!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Is Chicago gentrifying? Gentrification disrupts gang turf (by displacing residents) and thereby increases gang conflict.
Chicago is gentrifying REALLY fast.

The Cabrini Green is long gone. Folks finally realized that it was sitting on real estate that was too valuable for poor people to live on with its excellent proximity to downtown and the lake.

Down on the South side, the notorious Robert Taylor homes are gone...something I noticed when we went by Comiskey Park. That area is about to undergo a major change.

Even Maxwell St. on the near west side isn't what it used to be. I couldn't even recognize the place.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Chicago is gentrifying REALLY fast.

The Cabrini Green is long gone. Folks finally realized that it was sitting on real estate that was too valuable for poor people to live on with its excellent proximity to downtown and the lake.

Down on the South side, the notorious Robert Taylor homes are gone...something I noticed when we went by Comiskey Park. That area is about to undergo a major change.

Even Maxwell St. on the near west side isn't what it used to be. I couldn't even recognize the place.
Who is Robert Taylor?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Who is Robert Taylor?
Never met the guy.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Robert Taylor was an activist in Chicago. The first African American to head up the Chicago Housing Authority.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Maybe the reason why the media focuses on blacks is because they're STILL the predominate perpetrators of crime, violence and murder in Chicago as well as pretty much everywhere else in the country where they settle down in any significant numbers.

Its the same crap here in Toronto where I am where this weekend there's been like almost a half dozen shooting as well as several stabbing incidents and surprise surprise ALMOST IF NOT ALL OF THEM involve blacks. The point is how can you expect the media to not focus on black people when they're often the ones committing crime and especially violent crime. Sooner or later you're going to have to report those incidents when they become too many and not sweep them under the rug.

As I said before maybe BLM started out with good intentions, but that movement has lost its way a LONG TIME AGO and alot of people involved in that movement are trouble makers and hateful people.

And also why do BLM and blacks in general ALWAYS talk about wanting fair treatment by cops, but so many of them DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE to warrant being treated like everyone else?? Namely blacks ALWAYS demand respect and say they want to be treated fairly like everyone else, but come time when they actually do interact with police, how come they so often don't treat cops with respect in turn and respect them as authority figures but instead choose to treat them like crap? Respect is a two way street and I often don't see black people giving back what they always so loudly demand from police and non-blacks.

And also on a somewhat related note. I said above that there were a number of violent incidents involving black people in Toronto this past weekend and the BLM group here SAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about all that black on black violence. Instead they were too busy running a program indoctrinating CHILDREN to start being future activists in their effed up cause. YES they REALLY ARE doing that!!

And I just LOVE this part of the article:

So instead of working with police and actually trying to build better relations with them, they care more about messing with kids' minds and brainwashing them to be a part of their effed up cause. Yes that is the kind of screwed up crap that BLM here in Toronto does these days.

THIS is why the BLM movement IS SUCH A JOKE and is nothing more than an excuse for many black people to be violent and aggressive and HATEFUL towards other people under the cover of being 'activists'. I can't imagine seeing white people saying and doing the exact same things as BLM does and NOT being condemned from everyone as being A HATE GROUP doing nothing than stirring the racism pot and creating violence and trouble, yet because its black people doing it, EVERYONE gives them a pass and says 'its OK'.
It seems as if your saying white people in Toronto don't commit crimes, stabbings, theft and other crimes. So they are just black people committing crimes.

And honestly violent crime in most U.S. cities have actually been declining since the 90s by a very large margin. Why does crime only concern you when committed by blacks? Does crime committed by whites draw a large concern from you?

Answer this...since you are so concerned about crime (this has nothing to do with race)...What are the causes of crime? What causes people to commit violent crime?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Robert Taylor was an activist in Chicago. The first African American to head up the Chicago Housing Authority.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies