Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 PM

21,473 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Great. So what does "hard work" look like? What do you study? What type of job do you get? What indicators do you use? What advice do you take? How about factors in the economy? Can you predict the future of where the job market will go, how about if there will even be a job market at all?

Silly "bullet point" solutions aren't real solutions. There is way more depth to all of this.
What's your solution, besides making police services private and only in your neighborhood if you want them there? Because I've got to say, that's a bad solution. The other kid had a better solution- go to school, involved parents, and not committing crimes. I really don't know what else would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:50 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Going global.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9TzvxXjXPQ

Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
That's the crux of his post. The rest of his post was just filler about "why" he was better than other black people, and felt he had some sort of authority to criticize black people.

you see the issue with critics of black people is that they RARELY have a good solution after the criticism is done. I actually do have REAL solutions with actual details. Staying "stay off drugs, go to school" is a pretty lame solutions. The real thing you don't understand is that most black people try this, but circumstances stand in their way. How do you engineer solutions around these circumstances?

See I'm a black man who ACTUALLY came up at a severe disadvantage. I had a drug addict father, and all of the need to "do better" was actually very hard. Today I'm a software engineer, making pretty good money, an expert in my field, and moving into the world of data science and artificial intelligence. But this journey wasn't as easy as "bullet point" solutions. It took actual strategy.
I think having people like you as mentors would be a big help. I know we have a mentoring program in my area, and a lot of people like yourself volunteer. You're right, it is hard to become successful when all your life was a struggle, but young people in the same situation would benefit from hearing about how other people did just that.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:19 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I just finished reading it, and I am truly appalled. As a black American, I have never supported BLM, and NEVER will support BLM. I would address every single last point of theirs individually, but I don't have the time nor will for it. My first day at my new job is early tomorrow, and I refuse to waste time on BLM that I could use on sleep. I will say three things, however:

1.) I would rather finish my BBA in Finance and graduate than receive reparations. I was not a slave, and I do not know any slaves/slaveowners. Also, I will make WAY more money in my lifetime working than the sum of all reparation payments they expect me to receive. Knowing how many black Americans there are and how broke the federal government is, the payments probably wouldn't be enough to cover the costs of my student loan payments coming up within the next two years.

2.) Instead of all the decriminalization/disinvestment that they call for, here's a novel idea: WHY NOT STOP COMMITTING CRIME? WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

3.) #BlackLivesMatter is the MOST hypocritical movement I have EVER witnessed and/or read about. How come they don't protest over the fact that Planned Parenthood takes more "black lives" than any other institution? Margaret Sanders was a proud eugenicist who wanted to use PP as a tool to exterminate black people, who she considered to be "human weeds". How come BLM doesn't protest the fact that I am more likely to be shot walking to class at Temple University in North Philadelphia by another black male, than I am with any encounter that I have with the police. How come BLM doesn't protest the fact that black high school graduation rates are so low, and that it is the fault of nobody but the student and/or the parent (or, in rare instances, the teacher)? BLM is a HUGE joke, and I laugh at them DAILY!

I am American before I am black, or anything else for that matter. #BlackLivesMatter does NOT represent me, as they seem to think that only the black lives of those shot by police officers (which are JUSTIFIED most of the time) matter. I would rather live in "racist white America" before I would live in the society as outlined by their demands.
Looks like someone received some good old fashion Republican brainwashing...

Old 08-02-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
The comical part is that some posters think PhilliesPhan2013's mindset is some sort of exception or unicorn within the black community when it is actually the norm (barring his uppity/self hating/better than other blacks slant). The vast majority of black people work hard, if not twice as hard, and value education. They may complain about this rigged system where the cards are stacked against them but they aren't expecting handouts and 'free stuff'. Some just learn to survive the best way they know how.
I didn't get that from his post at all. What I got was that he didn't like BLM too much.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
How are you going to handle free college education if you can't even handle free 8th grade education

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Looks like someone received some good old fashion Republican brainwashing...
American before anything is actually the ideal. Not brainwashing. Critical thinking at its best.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Damn right that's all it takes!

My mother got pregnant with me when she was 17 years old. She eventually had me when she was 18, on August 29, 1995. My father left the responsibility of raising me solely to her. I was raised in some of the worst ghettos in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: Chester, PA, and Mill Creek, West Philadelphia. Although she didn't have a college education, she stressed the importance of school, the fact that I can be anything I want in life, and that I WILL graduate from high school and go on to college. I did exactly that. When I was in middle school, I was awarded 7 out of 9 possible honor roll awards. When our financial situation improved, my mom sent me to Catholic high school, which changed my life. For the first time in my life, I experienced diversity and what it is like to have a stable household. Those experiences helped me realize that white people don't automatically hate black people just because they are black (contrary to what my peers in middle school convinced me of), and that I WILL marry someone, purchase a home, and give my children a better life than I had. At the moment, I am a Finance major at Temple University in Philadelphia. I have connected with more business professionals than most juniors. After I graduate, I plan to start my own real estate development company, specializing in urban real estate development in the Philadelphia area.

Many of the people I grew up with are either in jail, dead, or living a stagnant life with little possibility of turning their situation around. Those were the SAME people who made fun of me in elementary and middle school, calling me everything from an "Oreo" to a "white boy". As long as one has parents who actually care about their child (my mom was present at EVERY student-teacher conference, showed up to the school in order to ensure my bullies were addressed by administration, etc.) and have self-confidence, a willingness to work hard, optimism, and the mindset that "I can be ANYTHING I put my mind to", then anyone of ANY race can overcome their upbringing. I am only 20 years old (I'll be 21 this month), but I am doing better a lot of people 2-3 times my age.
More power to you!!! And many good wishes for your continued success.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Is it white man's fault that you got laid off? I got laid off, lost a good paying job...that's white man's fault?

As for government, the saying: We get the government that we deserve

actually means something. It's not government's fault, we put those idiots in to power.

There is no "them" without "us" placing them there.

This election cycle taught me that "them" don't have as much power as people like to think that they do. If "they" did, Trump would not be the nominee.
If the Democrats didn't have that much power ( or at least the determination to do whatever it takes to keep it, including stomping over anyone in the way ), Hillary would not have been the Democrat nominee.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Please not everything Snopes says is true - read up on it!

Accuracy In Politics: Snopes Got Snoped
Of course not. The point here is that the various false quotes and stories about Sanger wanting to exterminate black people are complete BS, not because Snopes says so, but because they are in fact untrue. Conservatives only make themselves look foolish passing them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies