Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Shabazz, you do know this is what a lot of your posts sound like, right? Including the one above?

What makes you think you've cornered the market on being internet tough guy?
I would say "pot meet kettle" but that phrase includes the word "black".

So Shabazz would probably call me racist.

Then slug me.

Then slug you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I started reading the demands, but stopped about two-thirds of the way down, and I have only read a few of the posts.

That being said, I truly would like to know what BLM actually hopes to accomplish because I strongly believe that the great majority of voters would never support even 75% of their demands and would not vote for anyone who would. The point is that the voters (and the people they elect) decide how things are done, not a small minority, no matter how vocal. Sure, a minority can and does influence, but only to a point.

It seems all they (the BLM leaders) are really achieving by publishing this list of demands is making a lot of people angry and/or annoyed at how ridiculous and/or impracticable most (but not all) of their demands are. However, if they are asking for a lot in hope of getting at least a little more -- well, I can understand that -- and I can also understand it if they are trying to just make people more aware of how they have been treated for centuries and are still being treated.

Unfortunately, though, I truly think the actuality is that they are hoping to divide the country even more that it is already, and I think they are definitely succeeding! However, I think that some kind of major backlash is coming -- maybe not right away but within the next few years -- and if it does, the sad thing is that I think the losers will be those blacks who have made something of their lives because I think they might very possibly be viewed by many whites as possibly being one of "them" (meaning those who support the BLM demands). If that happens, I think that would be very sad.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-04-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I would say "pot meet kettle" but that phrase includes the word "black".

So Shabazz would probably call me racist.

Then slug me.

Then slug you.

Are you suggesting we change his name to Sluggo?

I do wish he or she would change his/her status to read:

Internet Tough Guy. I'll slug ya.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:05 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
https://policy.m4bl.org/wp-content/u...Booklet-V3.pdf

End the War On Black People
  • An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth across all areas of society including, but not limited to; our nation’s justice and education systems, social service agencies, and media and pop culture. This includes an end to zero-tolerance school policies and arrests of students, the removal of police from schools, and the reallocation of funds from police and punitive school discipline practices to restorative services.
  • An end to capital punishment.
  • An end to money bail, mandatory fines, fees, court surcharges and “defendant funded” court proceedings.
  • An end to the use of past criminal history to determine eligibility for housing, education, licenses, voting, loans, employment, and other services and needs.
  • An end to the war on Black immigrants including the repeal of the 1996 crime and immigration bills, an end to all deportations, immigrant detention, and Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) raids, and mandated legal representation in immigration court.
  • An end to the war on Black trans, ***** and gender nonconforming people including their addition to anti-discrimination civil rights protections to ensure they have full access to employment, health, housing and education.
  • An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).
  • The demilitarization of law enforcement, including law enforcement in schools and on college campuses.
  • An immediate end to the privatization of police, prisons, jails, probation, parole, food, phone and all other criminal justice related services.
  • Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions and an end to public jails, detention centers, youth facilities and prisons as we know them. This includes the end of solitary confinement, the end of shackling of pregnant people, access to quality healthcare, and effective measures to address the needs of our youth, *****, gender-nonconforming and trans families.
They say this with a straight face??? ROFLMAO!!!!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-09-2016 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So people don't automatically associate black people with being dumb, uneducated, violent, and thuggish? A lot of Americans would disagree. You can say 'well black people actually are violent crimianls". But what about the black people who aren't? How do you think this effect them knowing that this image is what they have to overcome to be viewed individually?

What decade are you living in that you would think that?

Unless someone is an out and out racist - or living in some backwoods area where they don't have internet and haven't kept up - no. I'd say the majority of Americans do not think this.

You can't say black people are violent criminals any more than you can say white men are embezzlers.

Yeah, some are. Some.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting we change his name to Sluggo?

I do wish he or she would change his/her status to read:

Internet Tough Guy. I'll slug ya.
I can't imagine ever striking someone other than in self-defense. Even before I became an adherent of the non-aggression principle I would never do it.

To say it over and over again over the Internet is very disturbing.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
So people don't automatically associate black people with being dumb, uneducated, violent, and thuggish? A lot of Americans would disagree. You can say 'well black people actually are violent crimianls". But what about the black people who aren't? How do you think this effect them knowing that this image is what they have to overcome to be viewed individually?
We're entering Twilight Zone territory on this one...

Old 08-04-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I can't imagine ever striking someone other than in self-defense. Even before I became an adherent of the non-aggression principle I would never do it.

To say it over and over again over the Internet is very disturbing.
Ditto. Like I said in another thread, people who respect themselves don't need to demand respect from others. They know who they are.

And those who let the classless out class them, lose.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
What decade are you living in that you would think that?

Unless someone is an out and out racist - or living in some backwoods area where they don't have internet and haven't kept up - no. I'd say the majority of Americans do not think this.

You can't say black people are violent criminals any more than you can say white men are embezzlers.

Yeah, some are. Some.
There is no decade. In my career, I have got to travel around the entire country just trying to pick up experience. While most people will see me as a black man, and see that I'm reasonably intelligent, this doesn't mean that there isn't a negative image that every black person has to overcome.

You don't need to be racist to believe that black people are dangerous. It's your natural mind doing what it is suppose to do. If the media images of black people are that black people are violent and criminals, and you're a person who is not use to dealing with black people, you're naturally are going to be VERY apprehensive towards black people.

With white people it's not really as bad, but among Asians and other populations it's absolutely an image they have of black people. Nothing in the world really will convince them that of anything other that the narrative that black people are very dangerous, and should be avoided and feared.

So honestly if you are a black person, you have to do a lot to overcome these images. Truth be told, it is non-existent in the work environment. If you're a black man walking into a job in my career, the hiring manager is going to worry about your ability to do the job, since it's very hard getting qualified applicants in my field.

However in your personal life, the whole "black boggeyman" thing rears it's head.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
There is no decade. In my career, I have got to travel around the entire country just trying to pick up experience. While most people will see me as a black man, and see that I'm reasonably intelligent, this doesn't mean that there isn't a negative image that every black person has to overcome.

You don't need to be racist to believe that black people are dangerous. It's your natural mind doing what it is suppose to do. If the media images of black people are that black people are violent and criminals, and you're a person who is not use to dealing with black people, you're naturally are going to be VERY apprehensive towards black people.

With white people it's not really as bad, but among Asians and other populations it's absolutely an image they have of black people. Nothing in the world really will convince them that of anything other that the narrative that black people are very dangerous, and should be avoided and feared.

So honestly if you are a black person, you have to do a lot to overcome these images. Truth be told, it is non-existent in the work environment. If you're a black man walking into a job in my career, the hiring manager is going to worry about your ability to do the job, since it's very hard getting qualified applicants in my field.

However in your personal life, the whole "black boggeyman" thing rears it's head.
I understand. That doesn't quite translate into "most Americans", though.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I think the world is a more nervous place than it was thirty years ago. I, too, get the woman suddenly forgetting something and getting off the elevator when I get on late at night, if it's just the two of us. Or I've noticed women putting a hand in their purse in the parking garage if I happen to exit on the same floor they do. I think some people are just cautious about men in general, and that's okay because it may keep them safe.

I tell you this because if it was happening to me, and I was a black man, I might think it's because I was a black man, when in reality, it's because I'm a man, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies