Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

So what's the larger risk right now?

Would you support a modified use of DDT if it would help mosquito bred diseases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
People may want to read this:

The Truth About DDT and Silent Spring - The New Atlantis

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So what's the larger risk right now?

Would you support a modified use of DDT if it would help mosquito bred diseases?
Yup, I would.

We've had West Nile and Chikungunya outbreaks here as well as several dozen cases of Zika.

Bring on the DDT.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
DDT has saved countless millions of lives. It should never have been banned.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Read the article above. They put together a panel of experts who looked at the scientific evidence and testimony of experts and concluded that DDT had very low risk and that most claims of danger were false. Then, the head of the EPA ignored the science and decided a book was more important and banned DDT.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Default Vaccines Will Protect You From ender Problems?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...66.mZL_j5J8W9c

Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Billy Gates wants to depopulate and immigrate at the same time.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I live in Florida where they have and do spray. Have you ever seen what these people are wearing? They have masks on, and sometimes even protective gear. This isn't even DDT. If these chemicals are perfectly safe, why are they wearing protective gear? Oh, THIS is perfectly fine for pregnant women?????? You do know that in these other countries they even spray with these foggers INSIDE people homes. Want them coming into YOUR house with your children and pets?

They came around my property with a big truck and huge tank and sprayed my property. Huge blue fog. The driver was wearing gear. I was sitting outside on my lanai with my cats. He did not tell me to go INSIDE my home. If HE needed protective gear, it fine for me to be outside around all that blue flog stuff he was spraying? Did he even ask my PERMISSION to spray? No.

I took myself and my cats and ran in the house and did not go outside for hours. It still STANK outside after 2 hours. Would you want them spraying DDT around your children or your pregnant wife?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
There are other ways - - we should go with sterile insect technique.

Back to the future: the sterile insect technique against mosquito disease vectors

Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Details, details

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Except that it never was completely banned, even in the US. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Restrictions_on_usage

"The EPA held seven months of hearings in 1971–1972, with scientists giving evidence for and against DDT. In the summer of 1972, Ruckelshaus announced the cancellation of most uses of DDT – exempting public health uses under some conditions.[21] Immediately after the announcement, both EDF and the DDT manufacturers filed suit against EPA. Industry sought to overturn the ban, while EDF wanted a comprehensive ban. The cases were consolidated, and in 1973 the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that the EPA had acted properly in banning DDT.[21]

"Some uses of DDT continued under the public health exemption. For example, in June 1979, the California Department of Health Services was permitted to use DDT to suppress flea vectors of bubonic plague.[42] DDT continued to be produced in the United States for foreign markets until 1985, when over 300 tons were exported.[1]"

"Despite the worldwide ban, agricultural use continued in India,[48] North Korea, and possibly elsewhere as of 2008.[22]

"Today, about 3,000 to 4,000 tons of DDT are produced each year for disease vector control.[23] DDT is applied to the inside walls of homes to kill or repel mosquitoes. This intervention, called indoor residual spraying (IRS), greatly reduces environmental damage. It also reduces the incidence of DDT resistance.[49] For comparison, treating 40 hectares (99 acres) of cotton during a typical U.S. growing season requires the same amount of chemical as roughly 1,700 homes.[50]"

(My emphasis - more detail @ the URL. See especially the discussion of R. Carson's work & the 1972 US ban.)

It's a tradeoff - use of DDT is permitted in the US, India & elsewhere in the World for disease vector control (in the US, we may use other chemical means instead of DDT itself). The assumption is that human wellbeing counts more than insect or bird life, although if DDT builds up in the environment, it finds it way into water, milk, meat, eggs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies