Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

If you have a contrary belief that mankind's emissions of carbon based fuels is NOT causing a warming planet, you are an ideological idiot.

Plain and simple. We have reached a tipping point where we should no longer waste time entertaining your scientifically illiterate conspiracy theories. Unfortunately for this entire planet, the fossil fuel industry has an entire political party bought and paid for and nothing will change their minds. They are blackhearted, soulless creatures who could care less what their children and grandchildren will inherit when they are gone, as long as their money keeps coming in.

Oh yea, it is now official: This was the warmest July ever this year, which follows the continuing record breaking hottest months of 2016.

Quote:
Last month was the hottest month in recorded history, beating the record set just 12 months before and continuing the long string of monthly records, according to the latest NASA data.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...egan-says-nasa

Last edited by odanny; 08-16-2016 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There are no records going back to the Revolutionary War. There are records going back to 1859, or the Civil War era but I have not been able to find them organized into a monthly format. To some extent I rely on quotations of contemporary writings, which describe conditions identical to what we experience today. In other words August has always been hot and steamy, especially early in the month and winters have always varied between mild and harsh.
There are records of wine production in England that it isn't warm enough today to do, from the medieval climate optimum.

The arctic is warming up substantially. There is currently a storm there that is doing a lot of damage to the ice pack. Interesting to see how this plays out

Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If you have a contrary belief that mankind's emissions of carbon based fuels is NOT causing a warming planet, you are an ideological idiot.

Plain and simple. We have reached a tipping point where we should no longer waste time entertaining your scientifically illiterate conspiracy theories. Unfortunately for this entire planet, the fossil fuel industry has an entire political party bought and paid for and nothing will change their minds. They are blackhearted, soulless creatures who could care less what their children and grandchildren will inherit when they are gone, as long as their money keeps coming in.

Oh yea, it is now official: This was the warmest July ever this year, which follows the continuing record breaking hottest months of 2016.

It amazes me that we STILL have people claiming that what's happening is normal. It's not. However, I'm not sure we can do anything about it other than move to more hospitable regions as the climate changes. Overall the globe will get warmer and the seas will rise but with any luck we'll find that there are still areas where we can live and grow crops. Who knows, maybe Yellowstone will erupt and throw us into a volcanic winter and stop global warming in its tracks...or not all that dirt on ice might just accelerate global warming (referring to the Albedo effect here).

I think we're just screwed.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
The arctic is warming up substantially.
Where are the records showing this, outside of glacial melt from the end of an Ice Age?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
There is currently a storm there that is doing a lot of damage to the ice pack. Interesting to see how this plays out
Where in the Arctic is the storm?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It amazes me that we STILL have people claiming that what's happening is normal. It's not. However, I'm not sure we can do anything about it other than move to more hospitable regions as the climate changes. Overall the globe will get warmer and the seas will rise but with any luck we'll find that there are still areas where we can live and grow crops. Who knows, maybe Yellowstone will erupt and throw us into a volcanic winter and stop global warming in its tracks...or not all that dirt on ice might just accelerate global warming (referring to the Albedo effect here).

I think we're just screwed.
Well, I hate to agree with you, but in large part, you're correct. The temperatures are going to keep rising if we stop every combustion engine in the world from burning fuel starting tomorrow, as well as every coal fired power plant, and the reality is these are going to increase, not decrease. So its assured that we are in a race to the bottom, with those profiting from the worlds richest ever industry grabbing as much loot as they can before it all burns up. I guess they plan on spending all their money before they die and leaving enough to their off spring so they can find high ground and afford food and water.

By the middle of this decade there will be climate refugees all around the world, including the United States. I wouldn't recommend building a home in Las Vegas or Phoenix, in a decade or two they can be had for cheap.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:08 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
By the middle of this decade there will be climate refugees all around the world, including the United States. I wouldn't recommend building a home in Las Vegas or Phoenix, in a decade or two they can be had for cheap.
I really think that has been way overblown.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:43 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Just a brief primer to help people understand the warmists better:

Summer = Man-made climate change
Winter = Just weather

Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Quote:
It's amazing to me that people like you think that science can be corrupted and distorted but it only seems to happen on the side you disagree with!

There are BILLIONS of dollars of climate research money allocated every year that always reaches the same conclusions, you don't think there is an incentive there that leans towards alarmism? I think we've reached a "tipping point" at least twenty odd times since the early nineties when this movement gained steam, back when they called it global warming instead of climate change. But, the goal posts keep getting moved and the crisis is always just around the corner.

Do I think the oil companies and big business have corrupted science for their own benefit? Sure.
However, I am not naive or stupid enough to think that it doesn't happen on the side of the alarmists as well.
The truth is likely somewhere in the middle and true impartial science and the scientific process is the casualty.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:13 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There is no explanation of what data that graph assembles.
Sure there is...It is a NASA chart for New York City....(Upper right corner) NASA Science Leads NYC Climate Change 2015 Report | NASA

Old 08-17-2016, 05:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:

What tipping point? I thought that was reached years ago. Or did you just kick the climate change or AGW or climate disruption of whatever term is in vogue can down the road again.

Your kind of apocalyptic screeching is generally ignored.

I am sure the doomsayers will claim 2017 will be yet warmer and 2018 will top that ad infinitum. And yet life will go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies