Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:05 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Try to be more subtle with your racism, Make America White Again has not won yet....
"Racist" has lost all meaning, because of people who cry wolf like you.

Since when is Radical Islam a race?

Why does the West have an obligation to let in an outsider who literally preaches its destruction on city streets while on welfare? Or are you unable to process the difference between individuals and groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am stupid?

Your entire post is a strawman argument against BS I've never said.

I said the whole line of unarmed Bobbies is going away.

London wakes to greater police presence after Russell Square attack
90% still are and who is claiming that there are not armed police?
Ever watched The Sweeney from the 70s?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Did you even read the article you posted?

600 more officers with firearms will be put on patrol, taking the total to 2,800.

There's been a number with guns for several years - have you ever flown in/out of Britain you would have seen them walking round the airport
I agree. It has been some 10 years since we visited England, but I do well recall the armed men around the airport terminal.

Indeed, when we flew into Istanbul a few years ago, there were, again, lots of security with big rifles and such.

We fly back to London next month. I shall be interested to see things.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
To be fair, Armed Police were on the scene within 6 minutes from receiving a call and arrested the man.
Were there unarmed police on the scene before the armed cops arrived?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:15 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
90% still are and who is claiming that there are not armed police?
Ever watched The Sweeney from the 70s?
The undeniable trend is more armed police and more armed police as permanent fixtures at locations where they hadn't been - due to terror. Don't lie about reality.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
The undeniable trend is more armed police and more armed police as permanent fixtures at locations where they hadn't been - due to terror. Don't lie about reality.
who's lying? Yes there are a few more armed police due to the current terror alert

yes there were more armed police around when the IRA was doing their stuff in London years ago

London is a high-profile target for whatever current variety of terrorists are around at the moment

Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Were there unarmed police on the scene before the armed cops arrived?
No - it was an armed unit.

There are a lot of different type of response units in London.

There are Armed Response Vehicles (ARV's - Tojans), DPG (Diplomatic Prorection Group) which also now attend such incidents, TSG (Territorial Support Group) which include firearms officers and who carry out Counter Terrorist Patrols (Legion Patrols), and Borough/Area Cars which although not armed do carry Taser.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-04-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Englands police are , and have been for a long time, segregated into armed and unarmed classes. If a situation arises where criminals start shooting, an armed unit must be dispatched to deal with it. This is often a useless feature, as suspects can't be contained by unarmed police already on scene. At best, the Bobbies can just get and get civilians out of harms way, best they can.

Waiting for an armed response unit chews up time. Even seconds count, armed response is minutes (maybe) away. It's flat stupid, especially given todays threats.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
I am stupid?

Your entire post is a strawman argument against BS I've never said.

I said the whole line of unarmed Bobbies is going away.

London wakes to greater police presence after Russell Square attack
Naaah; what you said was this: Title of thread: "So much for unarmed Bobbies" and content of post: "so much for the old line that the British police don't need guns" in what could be nothing other than a condescension towards the U.K. for having gone without firearms and far less firearm deaths in their history than that of America in it's far shorter history.

You intended your post as a sarcastic critique of British history and my response was in rebuttal. That does not constitute a "strawman argument".

Finally I used the collective figurative YOU with the plural "boobs" thrown in, so you should have gleaned I was responding to more than one stupid boob.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Englands police are , and have been for a long time, segregated into armed and unarmed classes. If a situation arises where criminals start shooting, an armed unit must be dispatched to deal with it. This is often a useless feature, as suspects can't be contained by unarmed police already on scene. At best, the Bobbies can just get and get civilians out of harms way, best they can.

Waiting for an armed response unit chews up time. Even seconds count, armed response is minutes (maybe) away. It's flat stupid, especially given todays threats.
Yep; mere seconds made all the difference to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_S...nardino_attack

4 hrs

Police face questions about delayed response to Orlando shooting - LA Times

3hrs

Yep; armed cops everywhere make such a big difference.

I think the Brits are doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies