Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The median annual Police Patrol Officer salary in Charlotte, NC is $52,684, as of July 29, 2016, with a range usually between $43,881-$62,174 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

You think you're going to attract the best and brightest starting out at $20/hr?

I wouldn't even think of being a cop for $60K/yr. No thanks.
Airline pilot, with an immense amount of responsibility:

$100k-150k in education and flight training costs. 4 year degree minimum, plus 2-3 years of flight training. Then 2-3 years of instructing gaining experience after that, for $25-$35k/year. That then qualifies them for the Regional Airlines flying up to 76 seats jets, for $35k/year starting. After 5 years of doing that they might upgrade to captain and break $70k. You'd want the best and brightest for that position too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Yes, going to college helps you think critically
Actually, it does. Education is never a bad thing. Especially for positions that hold great responsibility.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:55 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Don't dare criticize the selection criteria because conservatives cannot grasp that some cops are bad and they will say you're unpatriotic, pro-criminal, and anti-American.

Now, requiring a Bachelor's Degree you say? The righties will claim you're in favor of "liberal indoctrination" and thus you're automatically creating a police force which is already siding with criminals.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Depends on what you major in. For instance, I wouldn't associate critical thinking with Human Resources or Management courses because all of the HR people I've encountered have been quite shallow and couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:25 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

$100k-150k in education and flight training costs. 4 year degree minimum, plus 2-3 years of flight training. Then 2-3 years of instructing gaining experience after that, for $25-$35k/year. That then qualifies them for the Regional Airlines flying up to 76 seats jets, for $35k/year starting. After 5 years of doing that they might upgrade to captain and break $70k. You'd want the best and brightest for that position too, right?

Yep. As someone who flies at least once a month, I'm sure I would be unhappy were I to be able to look behind the curtain at how good some pilots are or aren't.

What's your point? To get better candidates, you're going to have to make the positions more attractive. Pay/benefits is the #1 place to start.

There are a lot more cops than there are pilots, too. So the airlines can afford to be a bit pickier.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Who has been running all those police departments where the liberals complain about inadequate standards in policing?

Liberals.

Police Chiefs aren't elected, they are appointed.

The problem starts at the top and who is running the cities where crimes are so high and police are said to be operating outside of desired performance?

Liberals.

How many police chiefs has the liberal city givernment of Oakland gone through recently? Who appointed them? Liberal mayor.

What is the common denominator of most problem police departments?

Liberal local governments appointing liberal police chiefs.

Who runs the education systems producing improperly educated kids who in turn become the police you complain about?

Liberals.

What then is the problem?

Liberals.

No matter how you dance around it, no matter how you try to hide it, no matter how you try to ignore it, liberals control the police departments in big cities and where policing is said to be substandard.

So why are liberals always demanding something change? OK, lets start with changing who runs these cities, who appoints liberal police chiefs and who runs the failing educational systems.

Ever hear of a liberal demanding they be replaced with someone other than another liberal who will do just what they've been doing?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Quote:
You're right, let's have people drop out at the 5th grade and make them cops. Because studies don't show that the higher your education is the more financially successful you become, the less likely you are to divorce or be imprisoned. And critical thinking is best learned by watching Beyonce music videos as opposed to in a college program....You've really convinced me. Let me guess, you have no degree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
i remember many years ago i was friendly with this girl and we were hanging out together watching tv and out of the blue she says "i think i want to become a police officer" and i was like "really? what do you know about police work" and she says "nothing".

so, i forget about that little exchange and a few weeks later, or maybe a month? i don't remember the time frame, she calls me and says "im an officer, its official" and i was thinking to myself "huh, really?" some citizen who never thought about police work until a month ago is walking around with the ability to arrest and shoot people?

Case in point. It's a JOKE. She can now kill, arrest and hassle people with near impunity unless caught on camera. Her buddies and the union will back her and protect her.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

Not me, I would want the 5th grade drop out because 'college doesn't teach critical thinking' according to the guy with the roll eye smiley.

We should just do away with the four year degree requirement for the FBI, because that guy said college is useless...

We should put felons and child molesters on the force as well, because of community policing....

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It has always struck me as unusual that someone with so much authority and trust over life and death decisions, would be able to get in with a High School diploma and after 8-12 weeks of training at the academy, they are on the streets with their field training officer. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has met Police that had questionable reasoning skills to say the least.

I really think there should be a higher standard. Sadly, a Bachelors degree isn't always a guarantee of critical thinking skills, but there should be a higher standard than High School and a couple months at the academy....
Hiring criteria, compensation and training are established at the municipal level.

Wealthier municipalities with relative low crime rates often spend more than municipalities with high crime areas.

I have never understood how one officer might spend his/ her entire career on the "mean streets " while another works a low crime area in the same municipality and both recieve the same amount of training and compensation.

Why don't municipalities rotate officers?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-05-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-05-2016, 09:34 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It has always struck me as unusual that someone with so much authority and trust over life and death decisions, would be able to get in with a High School diploma and after 8-12 weeks of training at the academy, they are on the streets with their field training officer. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has met Police that had questionable reasoning skills to say the least.

I really think there should be a higher standard. Sadly, a Bachelors degree isn't always a guarantee of critical thinking skills, but there should be a higher standard than High School and a couple months at the academy....
We do know the bar needs to be raised for elected politicians, the mayors and town councils, activist prosecutors and judges set the tone for police behavior.

Problem with the cops? look up one level. they are not autonomous, they are an arm of the voters and politicians elected by the voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies