Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They may not be "better off", but they still see themselves as "better".
I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment. I'd say it's highly variable based on the person's background.

I know that where I'm from, wealthy higher class whites interact far less with blacks than do working class, poorer whites. IME poorer whites are both more likely to be abject racists and more likely to consider blacks as equals. The close proximity yields stronger views, one way or another.

Wealthier whites OTOH tend to quietly keep blacks at a distance, regardless of the whites' political leaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeys_00 View Post
Every city with a large minority population by percentage is a crime ridden hellhole. Hence why people move to places with tiny minority populations. Minority being black.

Atlanta has a lot of wealthy large minority population suburbs where the men are married and well-employed.

Crime ridden hellholes have a large population of young males who are unmarried, unemployed, and unenrolled in school.

See the difference?

Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I catch what you're saying, I forgot about the "sundown towns". Tho to be fair: us "Irish" even in the 20th Century ALSO had to put up with a lot of that same kind of prejudice along with Jews cause we weren't counted as "white" then.

Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen
I clicked on several towns listed, and many on the list are just "suspected" and not proven, and were apparently listed just because there were no blacks in earlier censuses Well, from what I have gathered just from reading and traveling, that happened frequently in very small towns just because of their nature -- because they were far from cities and somewhat isolated and sparsely settled, anyway.

However, that being said, I do know that there were sundown towns because I lived in one of them, although I didn't find that out until years later. (Torrance, CA in the mid-80's. I was shocked to discover that it was routine in earlier years to "send" blacks to nearby Lomita.)

I also know of one that was NOT listed on the map in Ohio, although that was a community within a large town, so I don't know if that would "count." This was in 1962, when I went to visit someone who lived there with my aunt, and she told me. Even at eight years old, I was so outraged by that, and I remember that my aunt just said something like, "There are a lot of things in life that aren't fair, honey."

I would bet that there were "white only" communities within or nearby every large city, and I know that white only country clubs used to be very common.

Shameful.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Wealthier whites OTOH tend to quietly keep blacks at a distance, regardless of the whites' political leaning.
I think I know what you are saying, but I don't think it is intentional. If blacks can afford to move to wealthier neighborhoods, based on my experience, they are accepted by whites just as much as other whites are. Imo, wealthier whites don't move from non-whites as much as they move to better (nicer, quieter) neighborhoods.

I live in an almost entirely white middle-to-upper-middle neighborhood, and as far as I have observed, the whites here are just as pleasant to and accepting of the black and "mixed" families as they are to everyone else in the neighborhood, with the kids all playing together (of course). So this just reinforces my stance that privilege and acceptance have more to do with socioeconomic status than with color, at least in California, and Colorado, where I have spent most of my adult life.

However, Alabama was a completely different story when I lived there in 1973-4, but I can only hope that has changed in the past 40 years!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Scottsdale: it's "money privilege", NOT "white privilege" cause IF you're Black and are loaded, you're "in". OTOH a poor anglo white person is "out" even tho that city's mostly anglo white.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Which communities in Michigan with a large minority presence are "better" by any standard? Which majority minority community do you hope to live in?
Who said anything about majority minority? I don't think the population of Michigan is majority minority in most regions.

But if you're in a region that is 10 percent black, and there are several areas in that region that are 1 percent or less black, that's a sign that they're not welcome and of deliberate steering.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:31 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Most white people I came across feel guilty & apologetic. They over compensate & are really nice. But I am middle class & interact only with educated crowd so I cant speak for everyone. I have people in my own family who discriminated & treated me badly but since I moved to usa I haven't faced more than an occasional passing comment that I could easily ignore. 99% of people I come across here are very polite & friendly. Andthat includes all the races. It also depends on your region as well because some states are not as polite as others. I actually feel very uncomfortable & home sick when I visit my country & I hardly have any friends here who are same nationality as me. I had no problem fitting in. You have to keep an open mind & not be judgemental. Ironically I get along with other races just fine but run into issues with my own kind.
If you don't mind my askinng, where are you from originally?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:36 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Its "privileged" to celebrate Thankgiving now? Dear God help us...
Of course not, but it is an example of something that people understand by virtue of being American, and it applies regardless of race or ethnicity.

Another example that might be a little controversial is that many black posters here have commented that they're made to feel like they're black first and American second, except when they are around internationals or out or the country. As a white guy, I've generally taken being American as a given except around internationals or if out of the country. So I wonder if this feeling that many black people have about only being viewed as black is ironically partially the result of American privilege, and whether black people from other countries have different experiences in that regard. But I don't want to speak for anybody else on that subject; it's just a thought.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Read "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh. (I would post a link, but it looks like the article has strict copyright laws about sharing it, so to save myself and C-D, I will not post it. You can find it on a Google search though. )

White privilege does not mean that being white privileges people in all situations, or that white people aren't going to face unfair situations, or that people of color can't be successful, or anything like that. It simply refers to contexts where white people will not experience the same negative things as people of color will due to race.

Here are some examples:

A white person can be pulled over unfairly by the police.
A white person who is pulled over unfairly by the police will likely be pulled over by an officer of the same race, and will most likely not wonder whether (s)he was targeted due to his/her race.
A person of color who is pulled over unfairly by the police will in many situations be pulled over by a white officer and will wonder whether (s)he was targeted due to his/her race.

A poor white person cannot afford to live in a wealthy neighborhood.
A poor person of color cannot afford to live in a wealthy neighborhood.
A white person with the means can choose to live in a wealthy neighborhood without fear of harassment or not being included due to his/her race.
A person of color with the means, if (s)he chooses to live in a wealthy neighborhood, will have to look out for and possibly contend with harassment or not being included due to his/her race.

Hopefully that clears it up.
By the same token, a poor white person faces extreme harassment and sometimes exclusion if he/she lives in a low income neighborhood, just because of race. I think it depends on where and who though.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
My privilege is to have to go to work everyday....When do I get time to protest and stuff? How the heck are people paying their bills when they are always protesting????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies