Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Either she misrepresented herself to get the job, or it's a shakedown.
There really is NO other conclusion. Lawsuit will soon appear.

Clock Boy just filed a lawsuit against the Irving, TX ISD .... visited for the summer to hire a Lawyer.
He now lives in Dubai of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Per what is bolded: No prior notification was given by the employee to the employer during the interview nor during the first two days she worked for Dr Joo. She just walked in the third day wearing it. In Islam there is no gray area for wearing it outside of one's home part time under normal secular circumstances (other than religious affairs or entering places of worship). Either one wears it full time or one doesn't. If one wears it in secular world part time, it is for fashion/political reasons. You look at it from a US HR POV, and I look at it from living and working in the Arab Middle East. My POV is based on the real world.
Prior notification does not have to be given unless it is explicitly stated in policy or the organization and even then, federal rules do not say that a specific process must be followed. Her coming to work in the head covering and speaking to her boss about it is notification enough.

Also, it is against the law to even discuss someone's religion for private sector employment during interviews. That could be cause for a discrimination law suit in and of itself.

In regards to the bold that you highlighted of my quote in that I had many Jews, Muslims, and Christians call and/or complain about getting some sort of accommodation based on their religion, they never happened during the interview. You do not discuss religion during an interview. Many people also all of a sudden decide to be more religious than they used to be, which is what occurred in a majority of the situations I was involved in. Anyone can all of a sudden become religious and in the eyes of the law, as a private employer we must accommodate them as much as we can and FWIW, usually religious accommodations aren't that big of a deal because usually they just deal with some sort of head scarf or hat or some other type of dress (I also once have someone of Ife/tradtional African religion request to only wear white due to them being indoctrinated into their religion and it was approved).

And your POV is not based on the real world. Here in America in the employment sector, the real world knows that you don't discriminate against people based on their religion. They know it is against the law. What they do in the Middle East has nothing to do with this young ladies situation.

And I have known many Muslims growing up and all of my female Muslim friends did not/do not wear head scarves all the time. Many only wear them for religious ceremonies/holidays or when they have family gatherings. Others didn't used to wear them at all and now wear them. Some used to wear them and stopped wearing them. They all are still Muslim.

Just like there are different denominations and ways of worship amongst Christians and Jews, the same can be said of Muslims.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Not sure constitutional rights are guaranteed at private employment.

Can Employers Do That? Turns Out, They Can: Exploring Workers' Rights : NPR

Is that why private employers are free to refuse to hire black people or gay people or people with disabilities? Cause your constitutional rights are checked at the door of a private business?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Sorry, but I am damn sick of Muslims and their special rights. Get the hell back to a Muslim country if you don't like the rules here. Enough of this BS.
Seems like you haven't read the 1st Amendment. Why don't you leave the country if you don't like the Constitution?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There really is NO other conclusion. Lawsuit will soon appear.

Clock Boy just filed a lawsuit against the Irving, TX ISD .... visited for the summer to hire a Lawyer.
He now lives in Dubai of course.
Just saw that, The Liberals poster Child for intolerance: Maybe Obama will invite him back to the white house

'Clock Boy' Ahmed Mohamed Sues Texas City for Accusing Him of Making Bomb - NBC News

Swing back into the US to score some quick cash to fund his daddies political aspirations! Only in the USA. Imagine a Christian or a Jew doing this in Saudi

Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I many times, after starting a job (especially when I was younger and wore an afro) would keep my hair straightened for a month or two before wearing it natural even though I hate straightening my hair.

People are VERY prejudiced and you have to put on a good impression and fit in on your first days or months on the job. In this young ladies situation, I can truly understand why she didn't wear it to the interview or the first couple of days of work. She wanted to ensure they were focusing on her and her work instead of her fashion. I'm sure she was hopeful that since she was getting along it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

FWIW, my afro was usually always kind of a big deal when I started wearing it or just wearing my hair curly. There were always comments about it, even from other black co-workers or supervisors about how it was "unprofessional" and especially from black co-workers about how whites don't like us to wear afros in particular as they think they are not "neat."

It is sad IMO that so many posters on here are willing to discriminate and basically break the law due to this young woman wearing a head scarf.

What happened to "if they are qualified they should get/keep the job" arguments I see all the time???
Her claim is that she was have a Religious Accommodation that she apparently only discovered this week - she didn't need/want that Religious Accommodation when she applied for the job or during her first week on the job.

As a matter of curiosity - do you consider an afro or even curly hair a Religious Accommodation?
My granddaughter has always worn her afro and it's neat, clean and attractive. Never heard an objection from anyone.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Just saw that, The Liberals poster Child for intolerance: Maybe Obama will invite him back to the white house

'Clock Boy' Ahmed Mohamed Sues Texas City for Accusing Him of Making Bomb - NBC News

Swing back into the US to score some quick cash to fund his daddies political aspirations! Only in the USA. Imagine a Christian or a Jew doing this in Saudi
He was accused? or suspected of making a bomb? Was he ever charged with anything? No.

It's striking that in the photo in the link he looks a lot like Obama, if Obama had a son...

Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Lets see who she is voting for! Even in liberal Europe the courts ruled that employers can refuse the scarf IF an employer doesn't allow other religious items to be worn by other employees.
Actually, if you're referring to France, their so-called laity laws contribute to the marginalization and lack of integration of their Maghreb/Middle Eastern immigrant communities - which is why they have social unrest.

Not something we in the USA should emulate. Plus we have freedom of religion - and that applies to ALL religions, not just Christianity.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
If she was actually working with dental patients (aka victims) where the scarf presented sanitary problems she should be told that she could not wear it. If she refused she could take a walk. If she worked in the from office or, God forbid, Human Resources, wearing a scarf or not would be completely irrelevant.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Prior notification does not have to be given unless it is explicitly stated in policy or the organization and even then, federal rules do not say that a specific process must be followed. Her coming to work in the head covering and speaking to her boss about it is notification enough.

Also, it is against the law to even discuss someone's religion for private sector employment during interviews. That could be cause for a discrimination law suit in and of itself.

In regards to the bold that you highlighted of my quote in that I had many Jews, Muslims, and Christians call and/or complain about getting some sort of accommodation based on their religion, they never happened during the interview. You do not discuss religion during an interview. Many people also all of a sudden decide to be more religious than they used to be, which is what occurred in a majority of the situations I was involved in. Anyone can all of a sudden become religious and in the eyes of the law, as a private employer we must accommodate them as much as we can and FWIW, usually religious accommodations aren't that big of a deal because usually they just deal with some sort of head scarf or hat or some other type of dress (I also once have someone of Ife/tradtional African religion request to only wear white due to them being indoctrinated into their religion and it was approved).

And your POV is not based on the real world. Here in America in the employment sector, the real world knows that you don't discriminate against people based on their religion. They know it is against the law. What they do in the Middle East has nothing to do with this young ladies situation.

And I have known many Muslims growing up and all of my female Muslim friends did not/do not wear head scarves all the time. Many only wear them for religious ceremonies/holidays or when they have family gatherings. Others didn't used to wear them at all and now wear them. Some used to wear them and stopped wearing them. They all are still Muslim.

Just like there are different denominations and ways of worship amongst Christians and Jews, the same can be said of Muslims.
You just skipped over everything I typed. She didn't wear it for the first two days of employment. In Islam there is no gray area when in the secular world. If one wears one for religious purpose, then it is worn all the time.

Per her own statement: She said she did not wear the headscarf during the job interview as she did not wear it on a regular basis and simply decided to put it on after the weekend at her third day at work.

Thus making it a fashion item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies