Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 02:45 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, if you're referring to their so-called laity laws contribute to the marginalization lack of integration of their Maghreb/Middle Eastern immigrant communities - which is why they have social unrest.

Not something we in the USA should emulate. Plus we have freedom of religion - and that applies to ALL religions, not just Christianity.
I really dont think a religian founded on the Ideal man being a murdering, child molesting slaver should be considered a religian.
As far a France being any different than the US, I guess we shouldnt have any Muslim terroror attacks?

Tell me what continent besides Antarctica doesnt have current Islamic terror attacks? If the west is the problem why do Hindus, Buddhist, Jewish and Athiest have current problems with those within your Religian? Islam needs a Reformation, like Christianity did, but the first step is to admit there is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If she was actually working with dental patients (aka victims) where the scarf presented sanitary problems she should be told that she could not wear it. If she refused she could take a walk. If she worked in the from office or, God forbid, Human Resources, wearing a scarf or not would be completely irrelevant.
How would a headscarf be less sanitary than uncovered human hair? If there is evidence to show this is a fact, then indeed the request to remove the headscarf would be warranted. Without any evidence to show that it presented a sanitary problem, I suspect this was just a convenient excuse.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Is that why private employers are free to refuse to hire black people or gay people or people with disabilities? Cause your constitutional rights are checked at the door of a private business?
You are mixing apples and oranges. Employers can fire for something someone said or posted online. An employer can also dictate dress codes. An employer cannot discriminate based on based on race, religion, or sex.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Perhaps he should have stated during the interview that there is a dress code and no hats or head covering would be allowed, asking if she had a problem with that.

Clearly this isn't a true religious thing for her since she went without it for three days. Since she's okay with being a part time Muslim why not wear it during her off hours?

Reminds me of someone who insisted all peanuts be removed from our office due to a severe allergy and then brought in a pb&j sandwich for lunch. Someone is playing someone here.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
How would a headscarf be less sanitary than uncovered human hair? If there is evidence to show this is a fact, then indeed the request to remove the headscarf would be warranted. Without any evidence to show that it presented a sanitary problem, I suspect this was just a convenient excuse.
It isn't.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
What exactly was her job at this dental office? If it's the head scarf that she is wearing during the tv interview, then imo it looks unprofessional in a dental office setting. As to hygiene, well depending on her job there, any head covering she wears should be made out of the same material and colours as hospital scrubs and she should wear a freshly laundered one from a professional hospital service each day at work.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posters that if she didn't wear her hajib for her interview or the first few days on the job, then she should be fine not wearing it during work hours.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I really dont think a religian founded on the Ideal man being a murdering, child molesting slaver should be considered a religian.
As far a France being any different than the US, I guess we shouldnt have any Muslim terroror attacks?

Tell me what continent besides Antarctica doesnt have current Islamic terror attacks? If the west is the problem why do Hindus, Buddhist, Jewish and Athiest have current problems with those within your Religian? Islam needs a Reformation, like Christianity did, but the first step is to admit there is a problem.
Your fear mongering comments on Islam are ignorant and pathetic - and it's like trying to characterize Timothy McVeigh as representative of Christians or a whole religion. Do you actually know any Muslims personally?

And you seem to lack knowledge about the French policy of (aggressive) secularism as well as it's bloody history with Algeria as factors in its social difficulties.

Charlie Hebdo: The Tension Between France And Its Muslim Population

Hinting at suppressing, or marginalizing American Muslims will actually exacerbate the issue.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:24 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Your fear mongering comments on Islam are ignorant and pathetic as- and it's like trying to characterize Timothy McVeigh as representative christians or a whole religion. Do you actually know any Muslims personally?

And you seem to lack knowledge about the French policy of (aggressive) secularism as well as it's bloody history with Algeria as factors in its social difficulties.

Charlie Hebdo: The Tension Between France And Its Muslim Population

Hinting at suppressing, or marginalizing American Muslims will actually exacerbate the issue.
So, Mohammad, pbuh, wasn't a murdering, slaving pervert, who married a 6 year old girl? Tell me that he didnt do theses things?

If Muslims dont like Frances aggressive secular policies they can move back to their 3rd world sht holes because thats what happens to predominately Muslim countries: They create brain dead wastelands where ever they go.

I actually have an idiot cousin who was stupid enough to marry a Muslim. He was a dope smokin clown until they got married and had kids. The hypocrit changed his stripes soon after. Like an idiot she converted and now wraps a rag over her face before going out in public like some 3rd world fool.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Correct, and I never claimed it was. This particular item of clothing has religious significance, however and that leads us right back to reasonable accommodation.

No, it really isn't. Reasonable accommodation. Reasonable. Accommodation. The very clause in there for "reasonable" means it is NOT, in fact, absolute.
Point taken. In this situation it would definitely be case by case. I would think the employer would have a case based on a combination of sincerity of her religious beliefs based on her inconsistency and timing in wearing the scarf and the image it portrays to his clients. But realistically given our sensitive climate I think he would lose unless he could show a significant decline in clientele.

Unfortunately, his best bet is to manipulate some reason to let her go. I would also wager he will be even more selective in future hiring.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
She took something that was religious in nature and turned into a political statement. In Islam if one wears one all of the time it is religious, if not then there is a agenda in place in the case of this situation. There is no gray area in this type of situation.

There are lots of women who only wear the hijab part-time that have never used it as a political or financial tool.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies