Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
No, it's really not. The argument is whether or not the employer made reasonable accommodations for the religious practices of this employee. The "comfort of the clients" is irrelevant.
The comfort of clients is very relevant to the dentist. It can mean his livelihood and that of his other employees. When does a questionable religious accommodation of one employee outweigh accommodation of a businesses' income? The question is, is the religious accommodation reasonable.

Christians are taught and encouraged to spread the gospel and recruit souls for God. Not something required to do daily in order to practice the religion but is done on occasion by some practitioners. So should my employer make a religious accommodation for me greeting clients with "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior" which would make many customers uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 07:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The comfort of clients is very relevant to the dentist. It can mean his livelihood and that of his other employees. When does a questionable religious accommodation of one employee outweigh accommodation of a businesses' income? The question is, is the religious accommodation reasonable.

Please read the legislation. There are financial considerations that can come in to play, yes. We're going in circles here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Christians are taught and encouraged to spread the gospel and recruit souls for God. Not something required to do daily in order to practice the religion but is done on occasion by some practitioners. So should my employer make a religious accommodation for me greeting clients with "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior" which would make many customers uncomfortable.
It would depend on what a jury found to be "reasonable" or not. Again, circles - this has all already been covered in this thread.

Last edited by hooligan; 08-12-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-12-2016, 07:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Wearing a hijab is an indication that the woman is "modest and chaste" and has fully submitted to Allah. And some hijab wearers cover up their face except for their eyes, other women have their face exposed. As an American woman, I do object to the women wearing hijabs because it does send the message to their menfolk that us non-hijab wearing Western women are unchaste and without morals.... even prostitutes... and why there are stories in the European countries of Muslim refugee men assaulting the local (non-hijab wearing) women.

And if that Muslim dental office worker were in her home country, most likely she'd not be allowed to have a job. So again, this is America. Lose the hijab or just stay at home with your family.

IMO Muslims immigrating into a country such as the US need to do away with the wearing of a formal hijab. Instead, they can dress conservatively, covering up their body with full length loose clothing. Turtleneck tops. In a dental office, all the hair can be stuffed into a medical surgical cap.

I believe that Hasidic Jewish women are not allowed to flaunt the beauty of their hair for religious modesty reasons. In this country, many shave off their hair and instead wear a wig.

Why hijab is important in Islam | Arab News

Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If I went into a dental office and a woman wearing one of those hoods with a slit where you can just see her eyes worked there I would just leave. If I was the owner of the business would also get rid of her because I'm running a business the last place I need someone to cause any customers to leave. I don't like the Muslim religion I think it's extremely oppressive he made the right decision you never know she show up one day with a bomb. I think she just wanted to create controversy she gets her job without the garb then puts it on after a few days.
From the picture of her in the news article, she wears an open face hijab. Otherwise, any Muslim woman wearing a hijab with only an eye slit would not be allowed to enter any US bank and many stores for security concerns.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If I went into a dental office and a woman wearing one of those hoods with a slit where you can just see her eyes worked there I would just leave. If I was the owner of the business would also get rid of her because I'm running a business the last place I need someone to cause any customers to leave. I don't like the Muslim religion I think it's extremely oppressive he made the right decision you never know she show up one day with a bomb. I think she just wanted to create controversy she gets her job without the garb then puts it on after a few days.

Maybe, just maybe, this type of crap is why she was afraid to wear the hijab to the interview?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
From the picture of her in the news article, she wears an open face hijab. Otherwise, any Muslim woman wearing a hijab with only an eye slit would not be allowed to enter any US bank and many stores for security concerns.
A hijab is nothing more than a scarf, so all of them reveal the face. It's just a hair covering.

You're thinking of a burqa that only exposes the eyes.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Please read the legislation. There are financial considerations that can come in to play, yes. We're going in circles here.

It would depend on what a jury found to be "reasonable" or not. Again, circles - this has all already been covered in this thread.
And so has religious accommodations which you keep harping on. As long as you keep bringing that up I am well within my rights to point out exceptions and arguing points within the legislation, thank you.
And yes religious accommodation can be argued in court.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 PM

244 posts, read 181,056 times
I just don't get it- why is there so much excitment about this?

Why is it some kind of problem for the lady to come to work in a headscarf? I say let her wear whatever she wants on her head. It is only a piece of fabric, no more, no less.

We as a society are way too uptight. Need to learn to let one's hair down (yeah, I see the irony in this sentence )

Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I believe that Hasidic Jewish women are not allowed to flaunt the beauty of their hair for religious modesty reasons. In this country, many shave off their hair and instead wear a wig.
There's degrees of hair-covering among Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jewish women. Some do shave their hair off and wear wigs. Some cover their hair with a snood or tichel and you can actually see some of the hair. Some only partially cover their hair. Some don't cover it at all. It varies from congregation to congregation and sometimes even household to household.

Even western Christianity has a history of women covering their hair either in worship and/or daily life. Whether they cover their hair now depends on which sect they're in and their particular community's traditions...just like Judaism.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:04 PM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, this type of crap is why she was afraid to wear the hijab to the interview?

I'm far from having any knowledge about Muslims I could careless about it, but it seems to me the religion has a violent and oppressive component is what allows people to be driven to kill and blow themselves up. If you look at any extreme religion it's all the same oppressive control. Muslim woman are controlled to give men a reward keep them in line all in the name of Muslim religion. These woman should move to Iran or Saudi Arabia where they get stoned for refusing arranged marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies