Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 06:19 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times

Advertisements

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Approved By FDA To Fight Zika In Florida

It appears that the proper Federal authority has approved a trial of using said mosquitoes in an effort to battle disease-carrying mosquitoes. I am for it.

Briefly, these GM mosquitoes, when mating with a female, will cause the resultant eggs to not hatch.

In the linked article, one person, whom is against the proposal to carry out a trial in south Florida, pointed out that:

"The genetically modified male has to mate with a wild female, and the wild female has to bite us in order to lay eggs,” she said.“They are using us in this trial without consent,” she added.

Of course, this is true: in order to lay its eggs, the female must first feed on blood (the GM mosquitoes are all male, and males do not feed on blood, but nectar).

However, the women is, I feel, in error in her logic. Even without the trial people will be bitten (if that is the proper term) by female mosquitoes, which will then go on to lay the eggs.

My view: since one will be bitten anyway, why not try this experiment. Studies suggest that the introduction of the GM mosquitoes can result in a decrease in the mosquito population of up to 90 percent.

It is not like the Government is saying, "for this to work, we must have the people of south Florida allow themselves to be bitten".

However, the use of the words 'genetically modified' does cause a knee-jerk reaction in some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 AM

5,175 posts, read 4,949,447 times
When I think of genetically modified (fill in the blank) my first thought is Africanized bees.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
When I hear "Genetically Modified" I think of evolution. Why do you think there are so many different species of mosquito?

this experiment does not seem to have any human down side but will have a negative effect on all the creatures that eat mosquitoes. Do we even know what they are and what they might or might not do for humans? Suppose one of the mosquito eaters also are important pollinators for crops. If we kill the mosquitoes and the bug eaters die of starvation what will pollinate our crops.

This is a fine example of needing to know the secondary and tertiary effects of a major environmental change. Let us figure out the full effect of killing the mosquito populations before we actually do it.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
these GM skeeters have worked really well on previous trials. they have bee released on brazil now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
When I think of genetically modified (fill in the blank) my first thought is Africanized bees.
why? those aren't genetically modified.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:38 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I hear "Genetically Modified" I think of evolution. Why do you think there are so many different species of mosquito?

this experiment does not seem to have any human down side but will have a negative effect on all the creatures that eat mosquitoes. Do we even know what they are and what they might or might not do for humans? Suppose one of the mosquito eaters also are important pollinators for crops. If we kill the mosquitoes and the bug eaters die of starvation what will pollinate our crops.

This is a fine example of needing to know the secondary and tertiary effects of a major environmental change. Let us figure out the full effect of killing the mosquito populations before we actually do it.
the mosquito species being targeted isn't native to FL.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:23 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
There appears to be, presently, some 80 different species of mosquitoes in Florida:

Mosquito Information Website - Mosquitoes of Florida

However, it appears to be mainly two species that can carry the Zeka virus, dengue, and other viruses:

Estimated range of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the US | Zika virus | CDC

One of the two species, Aedes aegypti, is the main culprit here concerning Zeka in Florida. The GM male mosquitoes at issue are the same species. It is also called the 'yellow fever' mosquito. As it names implies, it is, I believe, originally from Egypt.

Hence, no doubt the bats of Florida, and whatever native creatures of Florida depend on the consumption of mosquitoes, will fare quite well if the Aedes aegypti species is eradicated.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Personally I would like to see a vaccine for humans developed, that will kill any bloodsucking vermin to die If it feeds on us. Same for domestic animals. I loathe all blood sucking pests.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Nice, create a disease and health scare, then get rich selling the government the cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies