Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 AM

211 posts, read 113,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The rabid right...

So easily led.

Given the context of her statement and the audience's positive reaction to it, it appears that Clinton actually said "we aren't going to raise taxes on the middle class,"

Hillary Clinton: 'We're Going to Raise Taxes on the Middle Class' : snopes.com

Only other rabids buy into this fairy tale. But then, nearly all the right's "issues" are imaginary.

Snopes' Liberal slant has become more obvious over the past few years. This doesn't dispute what she said (its crystal clear that she says "are" in this video), it makes excuses for it. The issue isn't wether she misspoke or this was a Freudian slip -- it obviously was, the issue is the audience loudly applauds when she tells them she's going to jack their taxes.

Their assessment boils down to "she didn't really mean that, she just misspoke or the audio didn't pick it up correctly." If this had been Trump instead, even if they had come to the same conclusion, the tone of the article would have been completely different. Its time to admit that Snopes is not the neutral fact-checking source they purport themselves to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM

19,650 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

You cant open a savings account because you will be fired from your job for taking leave. There is no protection for workers. On average, Americans have the least parental leave of any developed country. Children suffer greatly as a result. Same with saying goodbye to a dying parent. Americans are simply forced to work. A paid family and medical leave gives life-work balance to the American worker. An overwhelming majority of the American people support it. Majority of Republicans support it too.
Well, this is one person who does not support more than a mandatory three-day paid leave in addition to agreed-upon vacation, sick leave, or PTO -- unless it is covered by some kind of private insurance (similar to short or long term disability insurance). There is just too much gray area as to what constitutes a good enough reason to take off work and still be paid for it.

I am very tired of reading about all the various demands that people are making these days. IMO, many people have just become spoiled and entitled brats. People make their own choices, and they should live with those choices.

Until the federal government started making its business to "take care" of people beyond providing those things necessary for its citizens as a whole, people knew that it was up to them to provide for themselves, and sometimes that involved sacrifices. Although some people did have children they could not afford, some people moved away from their families and the mutual support family members provided, and some people did not acquire any work skills and were beggars, in all my reading about life before the Great Depression, I never once got the impression that people expected -- let alone demanded -- that non-family, including the government, take care of them. The only exceptions I can think of offhand were 1) civil servants and people who had served in the armed forces who received pensions, and 2) servants or slaves who worked for a family for their entire life (but that is not to say that they were not greatly mistreated either during their working life or afterward).

Yes, life was much harder back then -- and it was much worse in many other ways, too -- and many innocent people greatly suffered and even died because of poverty, but the fear of poverty and the knowledge that it was up to them to do whatever they could to avoid it gave most people an excellent incentive to make good choices. Today, however, people know that if they make poor choices, the government will probably make sure that at least they have shelter and don't starve.

Now, I am not saying that ALL government help is bad, but I just think that many people are getting too much government "help", and the sense of entitlement from some of the poor is even worse.

P.S. And, yes, I definitely know what it is like to be poor (at least according to U.S. standards). When I was a child, we lived on pot pies and spaghetti, I wore secondhand clothes, and I had part-time jobs starting when I was 14 with most of my earnings going to my family because my parents refused to be on any kind of "welfare". They knew that it was their choice to have a large family they could not really afford, but they didn't expect others to pay for that choice.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Please name the last time the tax on middle class was not raised.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:28 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
oh, the horrors of people seeing a tiny payroll tax raise so all people can get paid parental and medical leave to say goodbye to a dying parent or bond with a newborn child.

Horrible! Just awful! We want tax breaks for the billionaire class! When do we want it!? Now! Why do we want it!? Because it has worked wonders for 40 years!
How about going to college for free? Whose is going to pay for that?

Or are the faculty and staff at universities now going to work for free?

Whose going to cover the cost of all the "refugees" she wants to let in?

Nothing wrong with paid medical leave, but there is much more.

How on earth do you pay for all this? You tax the middle class.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why do you think it was a mistake?

Yeah, I don't think it was a mistake...... what are people thinking?

Are you and others drinking> WTF she said she was raising it......OMG you people are becoming senile and hard of hearing. I seriously, can't believe you people are not listening to the video and actually reading the words of Snope......this is not intelligence this is scary! I know you are smarter than this!

Relax and take a deep breath.

It's part of her stump speech that she gives almost daily.

She didn't say "are." It was "aren't."

Of course, you're more than welcome to buy into whatever you're fed.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
Snopes' Liberal slant has become more obvious over the past few years.
It's not The Limbaugh Letter so it must be left wing.

Quote:
This doesn't dispute what she said (its crystal clear that she says "are" in this video), it makes excuses for it. The issue isn't wether she misspoke or this was a Freudian slip -- it obviously was, the issue is the audience loudly applauds when she tells them she's going to jack their taxes.

Their assessment boils down to "she didn't really mean that, she just misspoke or the audio didn't pick it up correctly." If this had been Trump instead, even if they had come to the same conclusion, the tone of the article would have been completely different. Its time to admit that Snopes is not the neutral fact-checking source they purport themselves to be.
It's her stump speech.

Figure it out.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:50 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,673,898 times
Trump or Clinton, look out for a total collaspe of US economics. The only difference between the two is we believe, and hope, Clinton won't start WWIII.

Reality - good jobs are not coming back. The jobs that do return will be highly automated and robotic. They will employ a few with tech skills.

The money woes of the US are the rich paying a tax rate of 15% or less while those earning less than $100k paying 35% and with fewer deductions. The SS cap. The refusal of those that profit most hiding their money in offshore accounts and not investing in America. (One example, Trump Ties made in China).

We have a millionaire and a billionaire running for the top office in the land. Do you honestly believe they will do anything for the working folks?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:57 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,690,527 times
I have to say in all fairness i think she said "We arent". although it sounded a lot like we are. if she wants to be president, she needs to make sure she's a bit more audible, no surprise there that you need to speak more clearly.

Of course, what she says is mostly lies anyway, so as far as whether or not she said are or arent....

what difference does it make.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,919,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You guys are in favor of using abortion as a means of convenient birth control, and you're calling other people disgusting? That's just amazing!

I am pro-choice, but I (like many pro-choice people) and against using abortion as an easy out to cover your mistakes. Why don't you guys try some personal responsibility and accountability.
There are people on this board in favor of using the government as a convenient means of parenting. I'd rather the abortion than having to be the sugar daddy for a bunch of people I don't know.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:13 PM

7,961 posts, read 4,952,534 times
Quote:
oh, the horrors of people seeing a tiny payroll tax raise so all people can get paid parental and medical leave to say goodbye to a dying parent or bond with a newborn child.

Horrible! Just awful! We want tax breaks for the billionaire class! When do we want it!? Now! Why do we want it!? Because it has worked wonders for 40 years!

What about those of us who don't have kids?? Why should WE have to flip the bill? :roll eyes:

Always have to flip the bill for phony liberals and their PC crap (like they really care.) to pander to get the vote.

Always have to flip the bill for Lazy people that keep crapping out kids, Always have to flip the bill for people that don't want to work.

Aren't people sick of flipping the bill?? I'm truly beginning to believe people just want to stay under "Lazy liberal America". Everyone has now become accustomed to just being HANDING everything while the hard working people have to constantly flip the bi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies