Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times

Advertisements

It seems there hasn't been much media attention on this latest mass killing. Perhaps gun enthusiasts have a point that knife attacks are not as widely reported on as mass shootings. It is the worst killing since WWII.

Our media seems to focus on Islamic terrorism and mass shootings in order to inflate their occurrence and instill fear. Social media only trends for particular events and countries seemingly.

Why did the mass murder of 19 disabled people in Japan barely rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It seems there hasn't been much media attention on this latest mass killing. Perhaps gun enthusiasts have a point that knife attacks are not as widely reported on as mass shootings. It is the worst killing since WWII.
... in Japan. And of course it was widely reported here.
Quote:
Our media seems to focus on Islamic terrorism and mass shootings in order to inflate their occurrence and instill fear. Social media only trends for particular events and countries seemingly.
I was a little surprised that nobody started a topic here on it until now. But really, what is there to discuss? Those killings aren't part of any larger danger or pattern.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
If the person is disabled, it's easier to kill them with a knife. Try to kill all the people in Paris or Orlando with a knife instead. I think that's the main reason it wasn't brought up - - it doesn't really help the gun side's argument.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
If the person is disabled, it's easier to kill them with a knife. Try to kill all the people in Paris or Orlando with a knife instead. I think that's the main reason it wasn't brought up - - it doesn't really help the gun side's argument.
But they will use it when they think it's a good argument. Remember, they rationalize gun deaths by saying we should ban swimming pools.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Five people are breaking into your home. You have a knife and a gun at your bedside. What do you reach for?

Easier to kill a bunch of people with a gun. I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment but let us be rational here.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Five people are breaking into your home. You have a knife and a gun at your bedside. What do you reach for?

Easier to kill a bunch of people with a gun. I'm a strong supporter of the second amendment but let us be rational here.
I'm a strong supporter of the 2A as it was written. And if I point a gun at five guns four of them will probably get a shot off.

BTW, I've been an owner and a shooter since 1965. I'm licensed for full auto and own an M2 .50 cal.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I'm a strong supporter of the 2A as it was written. And if I point a gun at five guns four of them will probably get a shot off.

BTW, I've been an owner and a shooter since 1965. I'm licensed for full auto and own an M2 .50 cal.
I never stated the five were armed. In most mass killings the victims are unarmed.

Never owned a gun. I realize I am safer in my own home because others are.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:45 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Or try to kill a bunch of unarmed but otherwise healthy folks on an airplane with box cutters.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Why did the mass murder of 19 disabled people in Japan barely rate?

That's simple. Covering the mass killing of 19 people doesn't advance the media's narrative that guns, alone, are the problem. Just look at some of these responses--lemmings buy into that, too.

And, BTW, mass killings involving the same number of victims that we've seen in the U.S. can and does occur elsewhere (and here) with knives.

In addition, I seem to remember a particularly heinous attack in which four American planes were hijacked and driven into buildings/the ground with box cutters.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I never stated the five were armed. In most mass killings the victims are unarmed.
Never said you did.
Quote:
Never owned a gun. I realize I am safer in my own home because others do.
When I lived in an apartment the neighbor put two holes in my wall trying to kill a wasp. I don't think you're "safer" with a lot of guns around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies