Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:22 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Prior to desert storm I the news was pretty much standard faire. after that things changed. now the majors including tv and print are fish wrappers for who ever they prefer. it's a real slug fest. after 20 years I cancelled my NY Times because I simply could not be part of the partisan hack job. detestable. Things got weird when they "embedded" news agents within the army combat teams. That my 2 cents.
"Prior to desert storm I the news was pretty much standard faire."

I guess you are NOT old enough to remember JFK and all his sexual shenanigans and the lib press NEVER mentioned a word about it.

Later in Viet nam the Tet offensive, we had won every major offensive against the north and Walter Cronkite, "The most TRUSTED name in news", stated " We have lost this war".

Later the head of the North Viet Nam army said he couldn't understand why we quit.

Tet was their last effort to win and lost badly.

The press has been "bad" and biased, for a LOOOONG time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I guess you are NOT old enough to remember JFK and all his sexual shenanigans and the lib press NEVER mentioned a word about it..
Or anyone else's. That wasn't considered a fit subject by the media at the time.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:

I guess you are NOT old enough to remember JFK and all his sexual shenanigans and the lib press NEVER mentioned a word about it.

Later in Viet nam the Tet offensive, we had won every major offensive against the north and Walter Cronkite, "The most TRUSTED name in news", stated " We have lost this war".

Later the head of the North Viet Nam army said he couldn't understand why we quit.

I agree the media has been dishonest for a long time. For some reason Americans like to hear what they like to hear, and tune into different news outlets accordingly.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I think the news media might be the absolute worst institution in the US. Can left, center and right agree that the media is completely and utterly worthless? Any time there is a tragedy the media seems to do whatever it can to encourage a repeat.

One of my previous jobs involved dealing with the media. I found reporters to be some of the dumbest and laziest people I have ever encountered. Virtually every story that I was involved with was laughably wrong. I was frequently quoted as saying things I never said. In general, strippers provide more value to society than members of the media.
The free press is critical to our freedom.

It is supposed to act as a big brother, a well intentioned big brother, interpreting what the government gobblygook spewed by lawyer politicians really means. Its intent was to cut through the unintelligible language used in laws with giant loopholes that were marketed with false intent. The press, now grouped in with the 'media' owned a giant spotlight that was supposed to be shined in the dark corners of government. When a president says 'you can keep your doctor PERIOD!, or ISIS is the JV team or when 400 million dollars is given as ransom for 4 hostages and the media goes silent, you can feel our free society slipping away. The past years of the obama administration have been historical for other than the obvious noverlty election winner.

We know, for instance, valerie jarrett is pulling the strings behind the scene, when was the last time her name appeared in any news story? Wouldn't you want to know how much influence she is wielding and on which issues??

bias is expected, The media now has crossed the line as it has abandoned the people and taken a more lucrative job as the government propaganda machine for the obama administration.

I too have had interviews with the media where direct quotes that were never said, were printed. Listen to the media and catch the unintentional mistakes which indicates sloppiness. The intentional inaccuracies are something else.

Remember the media oulets are big business. The ethics of who get hired is a direct result fo the orgainzations head and its culture. The obama administration has many direct connections thru blood and marriage to many of the left leaning media organizations.

The two big businesses which are always ignored when liberals attack big business, are the favorites of liberals, universities and the media, both used to further the liberal agenda.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:

The JFK was just deference to the big guy. Not sure what you mean about the Vietnam references. Now the press has the OWN agenda. And ya, I guess Im old enough.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. You shouldn't be able to report lies and half truths to millions of ignorant people that will then go kill cops and destroy cities
And elect Hillary!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The JFK was just deference to the big guy. Not sure what you mean about the Vietnam references. Now the press has the OWN agenda. And ya, I guess Im old enough.
" Not sure what you mean about the Vietnam references."

I responded to the poster who stated :

I said it goes back way further then that.

The Viet Nam reference was how the media LIED about that situation in Viet Nam.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
" Not sure what you mean about the Vietnam references."

I responded to the poster who stated :

I said it goes back way further then that.

The Viet Nam reference was how the media LIED about that situation in Viet Nam.
Yes, the Tet offensive was a disaster for the North Vietnamese, but the US TV audience got the opposite impression by watching the news. The news highlighted the embassy incident, and US casualties etc to make it look like it was over.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:30 AM

589 posts, read 300,003 times
Absolutely, the media and the politicians in government are in bed with each other. The media and government are full of lies and CONSTANTLY trying to cover it up by twisting their words to fit their agenda. Never trust anything they say. They are ALWAYS biased. It's crap but they are very efficient at their jobs to manipulate the general population to their agendas. The best thing to do is tune them off since they have absolutely no credibility at reporting the truth. Its a propaganda machine to control the vast majority. People lack critical thinking skills to deduce what actually happened and just accept the propaganda as truth.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Absolutely, the media and the politicians in government are in bed with each other. The media and government are full of lies and CONSTANTLY trying to cover it up by twisting their words to fit their agenda. Never trust anything they say. They are ALWAYS biased. It's crap but they are very efficient at their jobs to manipulate the general population to their agendas. The best thing to do is tune them off since they have absolutely no credibility at reporting the truth. Its a propaganda machine to control the vast majority. People lack critical thinking skills to deduce what actually happened and just accept the propaganda as truth.
Well, going back to the Vietnam example, the media was the governments worst nightmare, because they exposed things the government did not want people to see, and they were able to sway the public opinion. Back then the media was against the government in general. Things have changed in the sense that now we have part of the media against the Democrats, and part against Republicans, and no one knows what to believe anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies