Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we legalize it by amending the constitution?
yes 32 41.56%
no 45 58.44%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times

Advertisements

We've seen that the Federals won't fight a legalization at the state level. So it doesn't need to go farther than that. Legalization of medical marijuana is on the ballot in Missouri this year, I think. That's step one in removing the stigma. If full legalization passes my cousins could start growing weed instead of moonshining, so there would be less pollution in the air. And they'd need fewer guide dogs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 07:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Trump has already stated on record that he thinks it should be left up to the states.
It's not Trump himself that would be the deciding factor. IF Trump loses and he ALSO takes a lot of Rs down with him, as many think he could, that could have enough effect in some states to allow state-level legalization experiments, and could also affect Congress sufficiently to ensure the Schedule I change.

Although legalization is probably one of the most nonpartisan issues out there, it's Rs who tend to be the most intransigent. I don't think it would take the loss of very many Rs to increase the momentum.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
We've seen that the Federals won't fight a legalization at the state level. So it doesn't need to go farther than that. Legalization of medical marijuana is on the ballot in Missouri this year, I think. That's step one in removing the stigma. If full legalization passes my cousins could start growing weed instead of moonshining, so there would be less pollution in the air. And they'd need fewer guide dogs as well.

??? ??? ??? ???

Devontre Thomas is 19. He Could Face a Year in Prison. For a Gram of Marijuana. - Willamette Week

Old 08-06-2016, 07:42 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No it shouldn't be left to the states to decide. It should be illegal for everybody. Outlawed is a better term. NOBODY should be taking the brain damaging stuff.
It should be illegal for animals who think that they should be able to impose their personal will and beliefs upon others with government aggression to procreate. People who use thug government to impose their personal will and beliefs upon others should be executed in the most vicious manner conceivable...

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Where in the constitution is marijuana banned?

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's not Trump himself that would be the deciding factor. IF Trump loses and he ALSO takes a lot of Rs down with him, as many think he could, that could have enough effect in some states to allow state-level legalization experiments, and could also affect Congress sufficiently to ensure the Schedule I change.

Although legalization is probably one of the most nonpartisan issues out there, it's Rs who tend to be the most intransigent. I don't think it would take the loss of very many Rs to increase the momentum.
That could be. My main point was to mean that it is unlikely the Feds would try to shut down the states that have already legalized, even if Trump wins. Even though that is exactly what Chris Christie threatened to do if he were elected, I doubt Trump would allow him to do so, even if he becomes Attorney General.

However, Trump does not completely close the door on that possibility. In this interview he makes the point that he is speaking only for himself.

Trump talks Clinton, fracking, marijuana | 9news.com

I am also of the opinion that Obama is pressuring the DEA to reschedule cannabis before he leaves office. I predict it will get done by then. We will know soon enough...

Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That is what I was wondering. The authority to ban Marijuana is not even in the constitution, it along with many other things that the federal government has decided to control was originally left to the states, but the constitution is ignored when the federal government wants more power.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

1) Constitution gives Congress power to regulate interstate commerce.

2) SCOTUS has ruled that Feds can ban marijuana on basis of Interstate Commerce Clause

Yeah I don't agree with it either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/02/ev...per-elastic-co

Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
The govt has no say as to what plants or substances are "legal"

Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
That is different. He was caught with it on Federal land, which is a big no-no even in the states that have legalized.

The Obama administration and his drug czar have stated publicly that they will leave the states that legalize alone. That has been proven several times now when Colorado asked for the Fed's help in taking down some large illegal grow operations, which they did. Afterwards the Feds would leave, leaving the legal industry untouched.

But I will go so far as to say that the ridiculous federal charges against the 19 year old for such a small amount is so absurd that I believe it was done purposely to help pave the way for the DEA to reschedule it. After all, the more people that yell "That's absurd! Legalize it already!", the easier it will be to get rescheduling pushed through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies