Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

They should have gardening. And power walking. Maybe dog walking and poop picking up. That's the kind of good cardio sport that works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 01:33 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
I love the games.
I hope Rio can pull it off without any major disasters.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Bah! I'm an old fuddy and I hate everybody and everything

why do they have to do anything that way and what's with all those weird looking people being included?!

everything was better back in my day when we didn't have all this focus on diversity...like the 1936 Berlin Olympics

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I don't understand why the Olympics need to be held in one location. Why not just have different events use already existing facilities so as to not make the cost of putting on this competition so extreme?
"I don't understand why the Olympics need to be held in one location."

I saw on TV someone saying the same thing.

It takes DECADES for cities to recoup the costs.

Under Rio's current condition, it will take MANY decades for them to recoup.

I was switching channels and hit the NBC coverage. I found the U.S.A women's soccer and it took almost 3 minutes before the score and time was shown.

The same thing happened with the U.S.A women's volley ball game.

NO EXCUSE for this.

I don't watch much of it anymore ever since they strated with their "Up close and personal".

IMO, it was to attract more female viewers.

All the men I know couldn't give a damn about this stuff.

Too much time is wasted on it.

Men just want to watch the "action".

Old 08-07-2016, 06:06 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I thought it was lovely.
Quintessentially Brazilian from the music to the worldview.
I loved the shimmery silver costumes in the beginning, the "rise" of Sao Paolo and the flight over Rio.
And Guga!!!!

Lovely.
Figures.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The show started well, but then turned into a giant dance session. I lost interest at that point, but it wasn't terrible.

I love cycling, that running and soccer are really the only sports I follow.
And swimming. That's about it.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:08 AM

6 posts, read 3,387 times
I also have seen the opening ceremony. Overall not bad I really like it. lol

Old 08-07-2016, 06:10 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Adolph Hitler and the Nazi Party are responsible for much of what is involved in the selection of a host city (bribery), opening ceremonies, closing ceremonies, and permanent structures for Olympic complex. Even the torch lighting the Olympic flames came from Nazi Germany. It was also the first Olympic games to be televised.

I agree there are far too many "sports" in today's Olympics. Some of the sports people want removed are big sports for some countries. To me the Olympics needs to weed out some of the sports to streamline the events and do so in a way that would make it more affordable for the host city/country. Some of the events require building special facilities just for that sport and once the Olympics are over, those facilities become a ghost town or destroyed. Track & field events are cheap. There are other events that can be competed relatively cheaply. Part of the problem is the Olympics of the past didn't have half the countries participating that they do today. Less sports, less countries, and less athletes as well as temporary buildings just for the Olympics which can be built and taken down easily made for a far cheaper event for a host city to hold. Nazi Germany used the Olympics to promote Nazi Germany and the opening ceremonies were a grand spectacle. With more television coverage and satellite technology, more nations began to participate and more games were petitioned for inclusion in the games.

Surprised college students haven't petitioned to have beer pong in the Olympics as a sport.
"To me the Olympics needs to weed out some of the sports"

IMO, never gonna' happen.

It USED to be you only had 1 channel covering the games.

Today there are 8.

I have an 8 channel mix where I can see what is being televised on each of the 8 channels and can select which event I want to watch.

The name of the game is TV ADVERTISING.

The more games, the more coverage, the more ads the more money channels make.

If they thought people would watch Tiddly Winks, they would have it.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
how is this political or controversial?
I guess you didn't watch it. We watched all we could stand of it. It went from bad to really bad. It was definitely a political statement.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:10 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I love the games.
I hope Rio can pull it off without any major disasters.
I love the Games too and have been enjoying them as always. The fact that people are so negative about everything in the world that even the Olympics, the ONE thing that brings the world's nations together every couple of years, can't go without snarky criticism, is proof that we just have a lot of aholes on our planet.

Michael Phelps criticized for not giving his well-earned flag duty to a black female Muslim athlete ... Mrrrr!

America's first gold medal won in shooting ... Mrrrr!

Gisele Bunchen walking the catwalk during the opening ceremony ... Mrrrr!

People just suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies