Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think everybody knows that.

Maybe you haven't noticed but Trump isn't the president and his children aren't running for president. There are millions of people who have never worked a real job. Obama is one who just happens to be president.
You mentioned Hillary Clinton in your post, and she isnt president either.

The logic in your post, and attempted rebuttal, are hilariously flawed.

Stop trying to make it R Vs D, and just post this as a valuable lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 05:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
My two millennials learned how to do the jobs they have by going to college. They learned how to treat people from the various jobs they had in the meantime.

One of my kids wouldn't have the job he has if he hadn't gone on to get his graduate degree. The other wouldn't be moving up if he wasn't passing exams he needs to take for professional credentialing. The undergraduate degree isn't even enough, to get where you want to be in your career, in some cases.

Observing is always informative, but doesn't trump a formal education unless you're a skilled tradesman or doing something else that doesn't require a college degree.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
The thing you learn from working at a place like McDonalds is ..... go to college so you don't have to work at McDonalds!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
The thing you learn from working at a place like McDonalds is ..... go to college so you don't have to work at McDonalds!
Exactly.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't buy this anti intellectual nonsense.

Sure, learning valuable skills at a hands on job where you pick up multiple tasks, put teamwork into practice, and deal with multiple personalities, is quite valuable. I won't devalue it's practical worth.

But I'm sorry, to claim that you learn more at Jack in the Crack or McDonald's than you do in college is absurd.
Yes, that is a good excuse to not go to college. The younger generation ( 18 - 25 ) are just lazy.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:54 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't buy this anti intellectual nonsense.

Sure, learning valuable skills at a hands on job where you pick up multiple tasks, put teamwork into practice, and deal with multiple personalities, is quite valuable. I won't devalue it's practical worth.

But I'm sorry, to claim that you learn more at Jack in the Crack or McDonald's than you do in college is absurd.
Four years at McD and a smart person would qualify as a Manager. Four years in completing a sociology degree and that graduate would not qualify to be a Manager.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Both are valuable. I learned a lot at university and learned a lot in the business world starting low and working up.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
You can learn to network and play politics on the job which will give you a FAR Greater advantage at promotions in the workplace than College will these days sadly. College will give you knowledge and education but won't get you hired or promoted or even INTERVIEWED. 9 times out of 10 you have to network your way even into a job interview

Networking/Politics are more viable skills today in the workplace than education, value, skills, knowledge etc.

I think I could have a Ph.D and still struggle to establish a large pool of job opportunities without knowing people/networking that could hook me up with a job.

Its a much different world today. The things that SHOULD matter comes last on the list when it comes to get hired. You're better off spending your time networking/buttkissing etc. Than you are thinking gaining valuable skills will get your promoted or hired today.

For the most part, I don't even believe hiring managers/employers even care about the value you bring. They want drinking/Golfing buddies. Someone they can hang out with

Old 08-06-2016, 07:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
If I had kids I would encourage them to start a business, learn a trade, or follow a passion before they worked at McDonalds or thought about college (unless college was useful for their passion ie medicine, engineering).

Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
That being said do you think that fast food workers have opinions that are less valid than "educated" voters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies