Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Maybe the Republicans can run a McDonalds employee for president in 2020 - - a real outsider who has the real world experiences that those in ivory towers don't have.
You mean like the community organizer squatting in the White House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If you don't understand that there's a difference between an academic education and real-world work experience, and that each is valuable, then you're in trouble.
If you don't follow the link in the OP and watch the video, you will misunderstand the point being made. Go watch it.

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't buy this anti intellectual nonsense.

Sure, learning valuable skills at a hands on job where you pick up multiple tasks, put teamwork into practice, and deal with multiple personalities, is quite valuable. I won't devalue it's practical worth.

But I'm sorry, to claim that you learn more at Jack in the Crack or McDonald's than you do in college is absurd.
Do you realize how many people started at the bottom and ended up at the top of these chains with a HS degree or less?

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You don't need to work st McDonalds to learn how to serve people. I do feel everyone could benefit from at least a part-time job while in high school or college for real-world experience.
Working without a degree at McD or any service industry job, you can work your way up the ladder within that company, but your options are limited and you are beholden to that company. A college degree allows you more flexibility within your chosen field and more freedom in general.
Probably right over 50% of the time, but some of these degrees might as well be printed on toilet paper. Doesn't McDonalds have programs where they'll pay for college as employees work?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
From what I understand, the Trump children had to work at the lowest level in the company and work in different jobs to learn every aspect of the business. The boys did construction even. I think that's pretty smart. It's kind of like McDonald's philosophy. They make prospective owners go to McDonald's University and work at the different jobs at the store before being allowed to open a franchise.
Do you think they competed fairly for the jobs or got hired because of who they were?
Do you think they risked getting fired if they screwed up?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 PM

830 posts, read 684,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Here's a radical idea. Why not do both? Go to school full-time while working at McDonalds for four years while also picking up an internship or two in your field of study. After those four years, you will then have the choice of "qualifying to be a Manager" or bolting for an opportunity in your area. Or start your own business. There is nothing wrong with people having multiple options at their disposal. Conservatives always try to make everything an either or argument when in reality, people can do more than one thing at a time. The more experience you have in different areas, the better.
I can't applaud you more. This entire "argument" is very poorly thought out and probably only aimed at slandering millennials. If we actually look at the facts, the vast majority of millennials worked part- or full-time while in college. And food and personal services occupations make up the largest portion of these jobs.

Quote:
Most students are working. Students are workers and workers are students. From 1989 to 2008, between 70 percent and 80 percent of undergraduates were employed. By 2012, that share declined to 62 percent due to the job losses associated with the 2007-2009 recession. Students work whether they are in high school or college; whether they are rich, poor, or somewhere in between; whether they are young and inexperienced or mature and experienced.
https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-conten...ers-Report.pdf

We can definitively say this is a major thread fail.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you think they competed fairly for the jobs or got hired because of who they were?
Do you think they risked getting fired if they screwed up?
We could reduce the argument down to all people. Everybody had some advantage over somebody else...that doesn't mean you can automatically throw out any work they put in.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
No it's not that. I wasn't asking about the job, I was asking about the person on an individual level. Do persons who find themselves in these sorts of jobs have a valid opinion or not? I think that their votes and opinions matter way more than educated basket weavers do. But of course democrats, in their ego tripping delusion will disagree.
Well, I'm a Democrat, and I don't disagree. Everyone's opinion and vote counts equally. Whether all people have a real understanding of certain policies and history is a different matter.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Just one final thought before I move on (at least for now): college and jobs are what you make of them.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just one final thought before I move on (at least for now): college and jobs are what you make of them.
... and what they'll make of you. The woman in the video's point, and she is quite believable, is that while the McDonald's job fostered some degree of personal growth and maturity, her college encouraged her to be more childish and self-centered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies