Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

They voted for Phelps.. that is the answer.. If Phelps had been black , nothing would have been said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He is the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, with 19 gold medals and 23 medals overall—including his first gold at Rio in the men’s 4x100m freestyle relay on Sunday night. At 31, he is swimming’s biggest star and a household name all over the world. And Michael Phelps is also the first male swimmer in U.S. history to compete in five Olympic Games.

Plus, He is about to retire. Such shameful behavior from these two writers. Madness is what it is.
He's also a two time drunk driver. Well, he was caught two times. There are arguments against him being the flag bearer as well. But since the rest of the Olympians chose him, that should be good enough.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I didn't say he wasn't a part of American culture. But I wonder how many white men have carried the American flag in the Olympics compared to men and women of colour? My point is that it would be an excellent opportunity for America to remind the world that it is a nation of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, and cultures. To have a black Muslim woman carrying the flag would make a much stromger statement about Amercan values of pluralism than Phelps. That was my point.

To "remind the world?" I'm sorry, the 550 people behind the flag bearer of all colors and ethnicities isn't enough to "remind the world" of that fact?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Here's what I don't understand - why the outrage at someone's opinion? For those of you who disagreed with the suggestion that someone other than Phelps carry the standard for the US, why does it upset you that someone else aired a differing opinion? In the end, Phelps got to carry the standard because of his record and seniority. That doesn't mean a discussion of how and why we select the standard bearer isn't a good thing to have.
Because selection standards wasn't the topic being discussed. The topic was X shouldn't do it, Y should.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:16 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean a discussion of how and why we select the standard bearer isn't a good thing to have.

"We" don't select the standard bearer, the athletes do. Their voice, their vote.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Here's what I don't understand - why the outrage at someone's opinion? For those of you who disagreed with the suggestion that someone other than Phelps carry the standard for the US, why does it upset you that someone else aired a differing opinion? In the end, Phelps got to carry the standard because of his record and seniority. That doesn't mean a discussion of how and why we select the standard bearer isn't a good thing to have.
No outrage here, thanks.

I'm not even upset that someone aired a differing opinion.

I'm just trying to understand the basis of that differing opinion.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
just one look at the US marching in at the opening ceremonies will tell the world how diverse we are.

and how convenient that there is no mention of the women's gymnastics team which has 2 whites, 2 blacks and 1 Hispanic.
Every four years I'm reminded of how great this country is because of its diversity. You look at so many countries in the parade of nations, and large swaths look exactly like one another in terms of skin color. There isn't a skin color that exists that isn't in the American parade. It is the greatness of this nation - - which is why I get so upset when people are tying to exclude rather than include who it is that are true Americans.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
He's also a two time drunk driver. Well, he was caught two times. There are arguments against him being the flag bearer as well. But since the rest of the Olympians chose him, that should be good enough.
... and athletes are not moral leaders. Don't expect them to be.

Good for Phelps. Its his honor, why should he hand it off to ANYONE.
Anybody else can go earn that right, he certainly did.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:27 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Not for the average brain-dead liberal it isn't.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I lost some of my respect for W. Kamau Bell.

“No offense, but right now America has enough tall, successful, rich white guys..."

No offense? It sounds like he's trying to be offensive.

I'm glad the right thing prevailed, but I think it'll take just another 5 or 6 years before the Regressive Left is able to have its way and this kind of thing would be politicized and controlled the way Bell wanted it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies