Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Question: Does anybody care? There are bigger issues at hand, but you're crying over some news fodder. Boy bye!
Well we're on page 8 and even you took the time to step away from that little sliding window just to reply so yeah, I guess some people do care enough to join this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:59 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Can we concentrate on her talent and skill and not worry so much about what she is wearing?
We could have, had her actual achievements been what she was presented to the American public with. But that's not how it went. Which is the point being made by so many people. She was packaged as a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab, not the 8th ranking fencer in the world. She was complacent with this image and chose to be a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab rather than the 8th ranking fencer in the world. Her own teammate, ranked higher than her, has been all but ignored in favor of pushing the diversity envelope.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Have you seen a photo of the author of the opinion piece?
Sure, I know exactly who he is. I've read other things by him and saw a couple episodes of his show and heard a few recent interviews with him.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We could have, had her actual achievements been what she was presented to the American public with. But that's not how it went. Which is the point being made by so many people. She was packaged as a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab, not the 8th ranking fencer in the world. She was complacent with this image and chose to be a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab rather than the 8th ranking fencer in the world. Her own teammate, ranked higher than her, has been all but ignored in favor of pushing the diversity envelope.
Last I checked even Olympic athletes do not have editorial privileges in the media. They don't get to choose who gets coverage or what parts of their story are emphasized. The media chooses to tell a story that they think their readers/viewers will find compelling or interesting - and in this case it seems they were right, since so many people are talking about it.

That said, I'd prefer they focused on her fencing.

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Liberals Demanded Michael Phelps Give Up Flag Bearer Honor Because He’s White – DennisMichaelLynch.com

"Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps was chosen by his teammates to be the flag bearer at the opening ceremonies in Rio Friday evening, and the liberals threw a fit, urging him to give up the honor to the runner-up.

Kamau Bell, of CNN, wrote a public letter to Phelps on Thursday, requesting he “step aside” for Ibtihaj Muhammad, the runner-up in the vote, who is an African-American Muslim woman well known for wearing her hijab during her fencing matches.

Is there ANYTHING that Liberals won't do or say to make everything political or about race?

Not believing ONE person writing a letter expresses the beliefs of an entire group of people is a GREAT place to start but apparently beyond the capabilities of whiney righties who seek to make issues of every little piece of bovine manure they come across in silly political blogs written by other whiney righties.

I suppose if your standards apply we should take the past actions of Fred Phelps and other idiots like him to represent ALL conservatives, eh?

Last edited by burdell; 08-08-2016 at 02:11 PM..

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Liberals Demanded Michael Phelps Give Up Flag Bearer Honor Because He’s White – DennisMichaelLynch.com

"Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps was chosen by his teammates to be the flag bearer at the opening ceremonies in Rio Friday evening, and the liberals threw a fit, urging him to give up the honor to the runner-up.

Kamau Bell, of CNN, wrote a public letter to Phelps on Thursday, requesting he “step aside†for Ibtihaj Muhammad, the runner-up in the vote, who is an African-American Muslim woman well known for wearing her hijab during her fencing matches.

Is there ANYTHING that Liberals won't do or say to make everything political or about race?
So, one person says something, and that mean "liberals want it"

Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Last I checked even Olympic athletes do not have editorial privileges in the media. They don't get to choose who gets coverage or what parts of their story are emphasized. The media chooses to tell a story that they think their readers/viewers will find compelling or interesting - and in this case it seems they were right, since so many people are talking about it.

That said, I'd prefer they focused on her fencing.
She's done a large number of interviews and is very active on social media. She and her parents (which is silly considering her age of 30) have been extremely vocal about her religious leanings and have actively molded her image as a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab. She was marketed and sold this way through her own participation in the narrative.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:10 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
I have to admit, I don't get your view at all. This woman chooses to wear hijab. She and her family sought out a sport that was compatible with that. They didn't even have to ask for a dress code exception on this one. How is that an example of Islam seeking things in the world to adapt to it? They weren't asking anyone to adapt to anything; just finding a place where they fit.
Yep , typical shell game logic. Different flavors of Coolaide is considered a choice. I do not see how I could convince anyone who does not see the narrowed scope.

Quote:
Families make decisions about what sports and activities their kids can participate in all the time for all sorts of reasons - sometimes cost, time investment, distance of facilities from home, parents' own interests, and yes, sometimes compatibility with their belief system.
Yeah so long as Islam fails in its goal to become dominant , it can feign the role of a cultural niche. Speaking of freedom, I am free to declare Islam an inflexible, self imposed fiction unable to adapt.

Quote:
Ibtihaj is a world class athlete. Can we concentrate on her talent and skill and not worry so much about what she is wearing?
Go ahead. I have little interest in the propaganda zoo the Olympics generally is today.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 08-08-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 02:10 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
She's done a large number of interviews and is very active on social media. She and her parents (which is silly considering her age of 30) have been extremely vocal about her religious leanings and have actively molded her image as a Muslim athlete wearing a hijab. She was marketed and sold this way through her own participation in the narrative.
Seriously.

She has marketed herself as this Islamic champion of athletics from day one.

Of course the liberal leaning media ate it up, but this is just as much on her as anyone else.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
FYI - Kamau Bell is an ugly black dude who calls himself a stand-up comedian, he was hired by CNN to stroke racial tension and he's got a regular show on CNN where he travel the country and points out how horrible white people are... right before he flies home to the land of fruits and nuts in SF to his white liberal wife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Kamau_Bell
Ooooooooh....somebody is butthurt.

Men commenting on the pulchritude of another man is suspect where I'm from...REAL suspect!

And the need to bring up his wife's race suggests some really strange hostility on your part. That miscegenation stuff really gets your goat, huh? I bet.

Aren't you from Texas? Oh yeah...I get it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies