Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's okay, it's a lesson we learn as children. Did you not get the memo or are you still whining about it?
But it's not OK for average people not able to get jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But hiring based on skin color is OK?
Ahhhhhhhh....see, I knew that if you talked long enough, it'd come out.

So your hang up is that just too many blacks are getting into school and getting jobs. Yeah...I can dig it.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place in the title of the thread?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Average people might not get the jobs they want if companies only hired what some might consider the best.
If a company needs workers it will hire them as available. It is true companies and their hiring managers should be free to use whatever criteria they deem appropriate to select employees from the labor pool they have available. That labor pool may run the gamut from top performers to average performers to low performers. Companies should not usurp applied performance measures (which can include all the things I mentioned and you mentioned) in favor of valuing some inherent attribute (gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc.) when hiring.

We're using "best" in two different ways. The "best" a company can get at any given time may be a relatively low performer on a larger scale, but that doesn't change the fact that the company should hire the best people it can find, and hiring the best people it can find doesn't mean average people won't have jobs (it may mean low performers won't have a job in that field, however).
Quote:
I'm in a large enough city where the best, as I define it, can come in any color or age, etc. My department has always included a large number of minorities.
And if (as it sounds like) that diversity emerges as a matter of course, then it's also consistent with what I said. But hiring choices should not be made in the name of diversity. All the various types of applicable merit we could name should never take a back seat to some sort of diversity goal.
Quote:
Many would suggest the guy or gal who walks in with a 4.0 from an Ivy League school and the most years of experience is the best.
I wouldn't. As we've said, there are other factors of performance. But that Ivy Leage 4.0 with the most experience should be in the running for hiring as the best candidate and not passed over simply because the department already has a preponderance of Ivy Leage 4.0 people with a lot of experience.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:36 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In my opinion, you really don't need diversity in sports. May the strongest and best win.

Think too much.
Why should sports be different from any other part of life?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why should sports be different from any other part of life?
huh? are you asking me? Have I suggested sports should be different from any other part of life?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:48 PM

455 posts, read 283,556 times
Whites whine about affirmative action, they never complain about legacy admits though because it benefits them.

I personally would prefer hiring based on the demographics of the city you are in because you can still get the talent(even though white conservatives like the op believe blacks aren't as talented as whites, I disagree) and you eliminate bias. The government sort of already does this now with the way they bid projects.

And Ferguson proves my point.

Ferguson is a majority black city with a majority white police force who lived in the white suburbs away from Ferguson. The whites went in each day like they were going to war because they don't talk with blacks outside of hassling them for jay walking and pick pocketing them whenever they had the chance. They don't know the people they are dealing with, and that's why that whole police force ended up getting disbanded because of white corruption and racism.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Because we are confused why liberals don't apply their own standards universally.

If diversity is good for schools and businesses, why not for Olympic teams?
If you don't understand the difference, why ask a stupid question?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ahhhhhhhh....see, I knew that if you talked long enough, it'd come out.

So your hang up is that just too many blacks are getting into school and getting jobs. Yeah...I can dig it.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place in the title of the thread?
In which part did I even mention black?

That you automatically think black makes it racist!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
If you don't understand the difference, why ask a stupid question?
Maybe because there's no difference. Sports, schools and businesses all have fierce competitions.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
In which part did I even mention black?

That you automatically think black makes it racist!
Come clean. You meant black. Stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies