Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:56 PM

14,665 posts, read 14,624,550 times

Advertisements

I'm a critical care nurse and yes, it really is as bad as the propaganda states. Just do some research on how it clogs and eventually kills the alveoli in your lungs to understand how bad it really is. Most of my patients don't understand until they're struggling for every breath and literally drowning in their own mucus...by then of course it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,251,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Is smoking bad for you? Of course but it impacts some more seriously than others. For example: I could point out that my grandfather smoked 3 packs a day (camel unfiltered) until he was 85. He quit, when my grandmother, who smoked 4 packs a day, contracted and died of lung cancer. He lived to be just short of 100. On the other hand, my wife passed away in her 50's as a direct result of smoking.
So the warning on cigarettes packs that says smoking WILL kill you is a lie?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The big myth is second hand smoke.
Uh; NOT true. If I get a big whiff of 2nd hand especially cigarette smoke, my chest starts getting tight. Cigars don't seem as bad.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:08 PM

30,239 posts, read 23,709,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This article should explain it to you:

Smoking's Many Myths Examined

A couple highlights:

Smoking account for 30% of ALL cancer deaths and 87% of lung cancer deaths
Half of all smokers will die from smoking and about half will die around age 50

Sure we all know someone who smoked and lived to a ripe old age (albeit with yellow teeth and bad breath), but anecdotal evidence is not what we should be looking at. Statistics and peer reviewed studies are.
livescience is absolutely NOT a legit source for anything.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,590,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; NOT true. If I get a big whiff of 2nd hand especially cigarette smoke, my chest starts getting tight. Cigars don't seem as bad.
In regards to cancer not breathing issues you may have.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,887,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Over the past 30 years or so, there has been a significant PR campaign from all angles against tobacco smoking in this country. It has went from something that was common to something that people look at in disgust.

Now I am well aware of all the supposed dangers of cigarette smoking. However, I am wondering if it really is as bad as they make it out to be. Also, what about the positives of smoking, such as it's anti-depressant effects, stress-reduction effects, and the increased alertness it provides? I am currently one month smoke free but felt much sharper and was overall happier as a smoker.

This isn't the first time our culture has demonized a vice. The temperance movement in the early 20th century turned public opinion rapidly against alcohol. Today, alcohol perception in America is trending the other direction. Same with marijuana. The fact is, when you over-emphasize the negatives of something and blow them out of proportion, you can spin anything into a killer that should be banned and should not be socially accepted.

We've heard the stories from anti-smoking campaigns of people who have died of lung cancer in the 30s. However, most of us know somebody that has lived to their 80s or 90s and had smoked their entire life.

First of all, congratulations on being 1 month smoke free. Keep up the good work! I'm coming up on 3 years.

Second of all, congratulations on actually using your brain and asking the question and daring to question the popular narrative. To answer a question like yours, all one must do is "follow the money".... Have any idea how many millions of dollars there is to be made in the "quit smoking" industry? Patches, pills, gums and other methods. It's all a gold mine for Big Pharma and other industries.

All that said, it defies common sense to believe that inhaling a burning substance in to your lungs is anything but bad for your health, but certainly the risks and effects are blown out of proportion by a variety of people for a variety of reasons

Old 08-10-2016, 11:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,887,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Makes no sense whatsoever.... None.

A cigar is normally much larger, contains much more and much stronger tobacco than a cigarette....

My hunch is that you actually like the smell of a good cigar and so that explains why your reaction to it is different than your reaction to a cigarette, which the populous has been brainwashed to have a visceral reaction toward.

All in the head if you ask me.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 AM

33,249 posts, read 12,469,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Not EVERYONE wants to live to 100. That's just straight up GROSS and a huge burden on on the family, and society in general. We do not need to live as long as we do.
Possibly one of the most ludicrous paragraphs ever posted to CD.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
says someone who's location says "trailertashadelphia and w1gger way" :/ grow up
And what does that have to do with what Tickyul is pointing out....answer: NOTHING. You just don't like message that he's trying to communicate.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm a critical care nurse and yes, it really is as bad as the propaganda states. Just do some research on how it clogs and eventually kills the alveoli in your lungs to understand how bad it really is. Most of my patients don't understand until they're struggling for every breath and literally drowning in their own mucus...by then of course it's too late.
My father smoked 4 packs of unfiltered Pall Malls a day for over 35 years. In the last year of his life, his Emphysema was so pronounced that he couldn't slowly walk a short city block without stopping to rest. He died in his early 60s. For many years before he died he was almost constantly coughing up mucus, which was quite gross. He was an athlete all the way through college. He didn't start smoking until he was in the U.S. Army fighting on the front lines in Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies