Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should naturalized U.S. citizens be allowed to run for U.S. President (at least after a certain time
Yes 22 17.32%
No 105 82.68%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Correct.
So, do you likewise believe that natural-born U.S. citizens who currently have or who previously had dual citizenship should likewise be disqualified from running for the U.S. Presidency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
So, do you likewise believe that natural-born U.S. citizens who currently have or who previously had dual citizenship should likewise be disqualified from running for the U.S. Presidency?
I'm not sure the Constitution addresses that. Personally, I don't think dual citizens should be eligible for Preisdent.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I think as long as they've been in the US for long enough, sure, why not.
OK.

Quote:
But I'd say some reasonable requirements should be had. No dual citizenship (they'd have to revoke previous citizenship),
So, do you likewise support preventing natural-born U.S. citizens who currently have dual citizenship from running for the U.S. Presidency?

Quote:
have immigrated and become a citizen prior to the age of 35,
That's discriminatory, though. After all, it's certainly not easy to immigrate to the U.S. when one doesn't have any close relatives who are already living here!

Quote:
and been a citizens in the US for 15 years.
OK.

Quote:
Keeping in mind, this isn't something I'm a die hard supporter of. It would require a constitutional amendment, which given the state of things currently, is effectively impossible. It's more than I'm not oppose to a naturalized citizen running for president; I wouldn't say it's a cause I support.
Actually, one can argue that the Fifth Amendment has already implicitly repealed the "natural-born citizen" requirement for the U.S. Presidency.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm not sure the Constitution addresses that. Personally, I don't think dual citizens should be eligible for Preisdent.
So, you would support a U.S. Constitutional Amendment which automatically disqualifies natural-born U.S. citizens who currently have or who previously had dual citizenship from ever running for the U.S. Presidency (if such a U.S. Constitutional Amendment was actually proposed, that is), correct?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
So, you would support a U.S. Constitutional Amendment which automatically disqualifies natural-born U.S. citizens who currently have or who previously had dual citizenship from ever running for the U.S. Presidency (if such a U.S. Constitutional Amendment was actually proposed, that is), correct?
Correct.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
As for me, I voted Yes. Why? Well, the contents of my draft letter to the U.S. Congress should explain why exactly I have this position :

Board Message

Anyway, please read this letter of mine in its entirety before you actually vote in this poll.
I have no interest in a letter that has foolishness in it. Our founding fathers had the natural born rule in the constitution to prevent what is happening now from happening. We have a person in the office of president that doesn't have a clue what his job is supposed to be. When you are raised in countries with dictators that becomes normal for you. A president of the United States should have respect for the laws set forth by our forefathers enough not to ignore those laws.

Only a person who is a "natural born citizen" and our forefathers meant that to mean "a person born inside the USA border," is qualified to be president. Others say that also means that both parents should be citizens too. I understand that is documented in other places and it makes sense to me.

Their main reason for these rules is to make sure another country will not be sending over someone to take over our country. These rules should never be changed. We have enough qualified people who can pass these qualifications that we don't need to be going outside the USA to get a president.

Others can be in congress and other offices but the presidential qualifications are good and shouldn't be tampered with. What we do need in place is a requirement that the person running for president has to furnish proof of that natural born citizenship and parental citizenship. Unfortunately civics and history don't seem to be taught in the schools anymore. They have been replaced with political correctness nonsense.

I also agree with the no dual citizenship rule. I think that should be evident for anyone to see since no allegiance to any other country by our president is allowed by our constitution.

Since we have been a country for so long, maybe an amendment that both parents of the person running should be natural born citizens too can be added. We don't have that requirement right now.

Last edited by NCN; 08-10-2016 at 08:26 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have enough qualified people who can pass these qualifications that we don't need to be going outside the USA to get a president.
We also have enough qualified men to be U.S. President, though. Thus, maybe we should also prevent women from being eligible to run for the U.S. Presidency, eh (obvious sarcasm)?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Call the question

Quote:
So, in other words, you believe that naturalized U.S. citizens should continue to be second-class U.S. citizens, correct?
I don't follow. How are naturalized US citizens second-class citizens?

Other than the offices of US President & Vice President, & any other Constitutional bars in terms of age or citizenship upon birth, How are they disadvantaged?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I don't follow. How are naturalized US citizens second-class citizens?

Other than the offices of US President & Vice President, & any other Constitutional bars in terms of age or citizenship upon birth, How are they disadvantaged?

Thats the point the person was making. that they ARE banned from that.

My response is-they live under the same rules we do, and its part of our constitution for a reason. Its not a particularly hard reason to understand. As such, no they should never ever be allowed to run for president. I would even be willing to argue that they should not be in the house, senate, or even be governors.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
NO, you need to be a natural US citizen born right here in the USA. Not in Canada or Kenya -we saw how well that worked out.

America for Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies