Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

I'll let Barry defend his vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/06/19/te...ghts.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I love Mr. Goldwater and I'm proud that he was a fellow Arizonan.

But that vote is unforgivable to me. As a man of Jewish heritage, he should've known better.

I have no problem with those who feel that way. I have a problem with those who demonize Barry based on that single vote.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:21 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
The old Republicans like Goldwater put a lot of faith in "higher ideals." Civil Rights would be something that would change from the ground up instead of from the Government. In a perfect world perhaps a business that allowed black patronage would do better financially than one who didn't in the south at that time. The Bus Boycott in 1955 proved that.

Democrats put faith in Government rather than rely on the nobility of man. I think GH Bush's "1000 points of light" was the last time we heard this from the GOP. They thought welfare would be handled by churches, charities and neighbors instead of the Government. Where once there was idealism, now both Parties use the Government to achieve their goals rather than rely on the nobility of man.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:17 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Bush might be the last Republican President?? Well Georgy maaaybe if you could convince your own brother and father to vote for Trump and maaaybe put in a good word for him here and there the Republican party might just live to see another day.

The bottom line. Hillary gets in. Gives amnesty to 11 possibly 20 million illegal aliens then the next day some do gooder stands up in Congress and starts saying how these poor people with a dream in their hearts did what they could to get to America were given amnesty for their efforts so they could get legal employment and pay their fair share of taxes BUT now we have a situation where these huddled masses are suffering even further because they have Taxation without Representation (we fought a war over that) so the right thing to do is we need to give them a voice and give them a VOTE.

Bye Bye Republican Party and Hello Queen Hillary.

If Bush is so worried then why doesn't he get behind Trump because right now Trump is the best choice for the future.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Bush might be the last Republican President?? Well Georgy maaaybe if you could convince your own brother and father to vote for Trump and maaaybe put in a good word for him here and there the Republican party might just live to see another day.

The bottom line. Hillary gets in. Gives amnesty to 11 possibly 20 million illegal aliens then the next day some do gooder stands up in Congress and starts saying how these poor people with a dream in their hearts did what they could to get to America were given amnesty for their efforts so they could get legal employment and pay their fair share of taxes BUT now we have a situation where these huddled masses are suffering even further because they have Taxation without Representation (we fought a war over that) so the right thing to do is we need to give them a voice and give them a VOTE.

If Bush is so worried then why doesn't he get behind Trump because right now Trump is the best choice for the future.
Bush may not be the smartest guy in the world, but he values his family's good name. A lot.

He's not about to put the Bush name on a seal of approval for Donald Trump. No way. You and I both know why, so there's no need to debate it.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
He won't be. His father was the last actual Republican President. I can imagine that in a hundred years the history books will list Presidents and there will be an asterisk by "2001-2008": "Office vacant."
That would be revisionist history. I doubt that would happen..

Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Your scenario just speeds up the inevitable unless Republicans can get a higher percentage of the Hispanic vote.

If they were just bright enough to fight immigration on economic, not cultural issues, they might be able to actually win a Presidential election.

Two reasons many Republicans are steering away from Trump:

1) Fear his rhetoric will hurt the Republican brand among Hispanics for years to come.

2) His protectionist position on trade is totally out of whack with neo-liberalism, the core philosophy shared by Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And you think this "minorities cannot see thru their deception" view that is almost universally held by conservatives helps you win friends among those minorities? You are basically saying that they are too stupid to realize they are being duped.

Minorities see the GOP as making things worse for them and your stance is a major reason why.

The last republican politician to even give a rat's behind regarding helping minorities was Jack Kemp and that was 20 years ago.
I guess I am saying minorities are largely ignorant (not stupid, but meaning willfully keeping themselves from the truth because it's easier to remain that way). My oldest friend is a minority, as well as one of my best friends- so you speak from ignorance in regards to me. The GOP doesn't want to give out free stuff and see them as "entitled victims", and I happen to agree. Whatever you do, DO NOT hold minorities accountable for bad choices- just make excuses for them, as if they have no free will of choice!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Default Could George Bush have been the last Republican president?

I read somewhere the George Bush said he might have been the last Republican president. He might be right because the national politics could follow the same pattern that happened in large cities. Take Detroit for example. From 1900 on it had Republican mayors up until 1960. Since then, it has elected Democrat mayors nonstop no matter how bad a shape the city is in. California is another. Can anybody envision a scenario where Republicans come back? I keep reading how bad the economy is there but nothing changes. I see the same thing happening in Washington. If Hillary can't be beat this time, she most certainly won't be beat in 4 or 8 years.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I think almost any of the other R candidates (except Jeb Bush) could have beaten Hillary.
Polls showed most of them beat her, and Trump was the only one who didn't.
Apparently, a lot of Rs are too dumb to understand political realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies